Microsoft Authentication ( 2 factor) More suck than a Dyson

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
2 factor authentication is important to me and should be to you as well but for those want to use Microsoft authentication, why does it suck so much? Its simple enough to set up. But using it is a literal nightmare. It worked the day I set it up on my phone. Logged into my Outlook mail on the web just fine. Day 2, nothing changed but day 3 my password doesn't work. It won't even authenticate. So I'm blowing it out and starting over. Same result after the 3rd day. Password doesn't work, nor does authentication. Removed it. That was 6 months ago.
Fast forward to this week. Recently my wife wanted to use dual authentication because she is concerned about security. We tried Microsoft authenticator but I warned her, it may be problematic. Two days later, I get a call from her at work saying her password does not work. All I could do is tell her to remove it. Now I have to hear how the smart computer guy would make her use Microsoft authenticator.

WHY DOES IT SUCK SO MUCH! At work I use DUO mobile. Never have a problem getting into anything. It always just works. Maybe I'm holding it wrong. I hate to ask but is Google authenticator any better?

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
For which platform were you referring to. Microsoft authenticator on windows phone works like charm. It works for every company 2 factor authentication (I use it for outlook,gmail and masterteisk).

As per your problem I would suggest you to turn on automatic time correction in Microsoft authenticator app settings.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had to ditch the Authenticator App. They make it less intuitive and more PITA.

I now just rely on texted code to phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I had to ditch the Authenticator App. They make it less intuitive and more PITA.

I now just rely on texted code to phone.
I was talking to one of the engineers at work and in passing I asked him if he used authentication and if the did, which one. I was surprised to know he is using DUO. Showed me a quick sample of how he used it. It was flawless. He said he was waiting for Amazon to have something and while we were talking, he went to Amazon and sure enough, it used DUO as well. Plugged it in and BOOM, working like you expect.
I have DUO installed and I'm about to add a few apps to it. If this works, I'll update the thread.
The good news here is, for a long time Windows Phone had DUO but it would only manage a single account. This latest version support multiple accounts.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I had it on for about a day and got nothing but grief.

I think I've found the solution I was looking for. It turns out to be what I alluded to earlier. The DUO mobile app. When I tell you it works flawlessly, it works flawlessly. When I log in from another of my devices to get my email, it asks for my regular password, then prompts for the 6 digit code. Launch DUO mobile from your phone, drop in the number and you're in. No second guessing, no multiple trials, no additional sweat. It works. I dropped my Gmail in it as well. Amazon is next. Give DUO a try. Its free. No ads or any fluff. It simply works. Setup is quick and painless.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Never had any issues with Microsoft's authenticator app on my phone, it's the most simple of apps, and just works.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have never had any problems with Microsoft Authenticator app on my Windows 8.1 Phone in the USA. I don't have a need to use it, or any authenticator app, very often. When I use it, it just works. I don't see any problems.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you on the insider preview? Did your OS update between your tries?

I looked up Duo and the store ratings for Authenticator and Duo tell a different story. May be it's not working for a reason? Or it's just plain buggy as you said.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I would like for one of you experienced Authenticate users to give us the "easy to understand", "step-by-step" "How To" if that is even possible?

I tried it the other night, using a YouTube tutorial (the guy on youtube was good, but I had a hard time understanding him), anyway, I tried to follow along and thought I was good to go; BUT! with:

Yahoo.mail (with existing 2-step-verification); Gmail (with existing 2-step-verification); 4 Outlook.com email accounts, all the preceding are channeled through Outlook 2016 - and 2 Microsoft accounts

Before I could figure it out, I panicked (no email updates for 3 hrs) and turned off the Microsoft 2-step verification.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Are you on the insider preview? Did your OS update between your tries?

I looked up Duo and the store ratings for Authenticator and Duo tell a different story. May be it's not working for a reason? Or it's just plain buggy as you said.

If this is a question for me, the answer is yes, I am running TP. But DUO is working like a champ. Two factor authenticator from Microsoft is worthless. I should preface my comments with that I do use more than one device, tablets and such. Could be the difference is if you only use one device, Windows Phone, you may have better luck but because I must use multiple devices, DUO simply works better in that environment.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I would like for one of you experienced Authenticate users to give us the "easy to understand", "step-by-step" "How To" if that is even possible?

I tried it the other night, using a YouTube tutorial (the guy on youtube was good, but I had a hard time understanding him), anyway, I tried to follow along and thought I was good to go; BUT! with:

Yahoo.mail (with existing 2-step-verification); Gmail (with existing 2-step-verification); 4 Outlook.com email accounts, all the preceding are channeled through Outlook 2016 - and 2 Microsoft accounts

Before I could figure it out, I panicked (no email updates for 3 hrs) and turned off the Microsoft 2-step verification.

Check out:
How to use two-step verification with your Microsoft account - CNET!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

speccy, thank you for the link, good reference source; unfortunate for me, where this link left off is where my troubles began, trying to set up and access emails on my PC, that where routed through Office 365's Outlook 2016. Once I tried to enter the code that was displayed in the Authenticator app, into an email that was routed through Outlook 2016 (on PC), I was unable to use that account on any computer, or phone? Didn't want (can't be without) email, so had to disengage the Authenticator by turn off 2-step verification after a three hour attempt to figure it out. I am sure it is a case of operator error, but I don't want to get so deep in the muck, that I cannot back track and find my own way out.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
speccy, thank you for the link, good reference source; unfortunate for me, where this link left off is where my troubles began, trying to set up and access emails on my PC, that where routed through Office 365's Outlook 2016. Once I tried to enter the code that was displayed in the Authenticator app, into an email that was routed through Outlook 2016 (on PC), I was unable to use that account on any computer, or phone? Didn't want (can't be without) email, so had to disengage the Authenticator by turn off 2-step verification after a three hour attempt to figure it out. I am sure it is a case of operator error, but I don't want to get so deep in the muck, that I cannot back track and find my own way out.

What phone are you using?

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, I too had some scary moments when I first tried setting it up and did exactly the same as you mtf1380 i.e. I disabled it and gave up for a bit. After a bit more reading I tried it again and got it working. I think it was just that I was worried about losing access completely the first time around. It does affect all sorts of things when you enable it such as my Xbox 360 account where you have to obtain a new completely different DEVICE password from your Microsoft account website, so it can be quite complicated, but once you have it set up right, it just works, and works well.

I believe there was an article on Windows Central a month or two ago specifically about setting this up.

In case you were asking about my phone, I had it working on my previous L930, but I also have it working on my L950 currently.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, I too had some scary moments when I first tried setting it up and did exactly the same as you mtf1380 i.e. I disabled it and gave up for a bit. After a bit more reading I tried it again and got it working. I think it was just that I was worried about losing access completely the first time around. It does affect all sorts of things when you enable it such as my Xbox 360 account where you have to obtain a new completely different DEVICE password from your Microsoft account website, so it can be quite complicated, but once you have it set up right, it just works, and works well.

I believe there was an article on Windows Central a month or two ago specifically about setting this up.

In case you were asking about my phone, I had it working on my previous L930, but I also have it working on my L950 currently.

I went down this road originally with my 1520 and it gave me all kinds of fits. It would work, then 4 hours later, I have to re-enter the password they generated on my phone again, which means I have to go find it first. So I get to my email and all is well. Until the next morning. The MS generated password no longer worked but my old one did. Go figure. Grab my ipad and all I'm expecting to need do was enter a code, no joy. I had to reset my password yet again. So I gave up and went to DUO. Like night and day.No problems with any of my accounts. I will add Amazon soon as well. It does feel a little safer on the net now.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for your feedback:)

You are very astute and have diagnosed my concerns and attempts correctly. I know that when I have to change out a router, I have to re-sink all devices; this is not a difficult just inconvenient. But with the Authenticator's 2-step process, I have the arduous task of making sure that my OUTLOOK 2016 email accounts - rooted within my PC, some with there own individual 2-step verification methods - are not just working properly on all accounts now, but also need to take in the "what if" scenario 6 mos from now, when I will have forgotten everything I did to set up and am down! down! down!

I have done "some" research (my post is an extension of this quest), and will have to wait until I have more time to vet further ;(

Thanks again for your input, very much appreciated":^)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I went down this road originally with my 1520 and it gave me all kinds of fits. It would work, then 4 hours later, I have to re-enter the password they generated on my phone again, which means I have to go find it first. So I get to my email and all is well. Until the next morning. The MS generated password no longer worked but my old one did. Go figure. Grab my ipad and all I'm expecting to need do was enter a code, no joy. I had to reset my password yet again. So I gave up and went to DUO. Like night and day.No problems with any of my accounts. I will add Amazon soon as well. It does feel a little safer on the net now.

BOY, another nail hit squarely on the head....my concern EXACTLY! and it ALWAYS happens the very moment that every important client is needing something "immediately!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haoopbillakas