Microsoft Band Limited Recharge Cycles

Insignia-Pro

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft says the band will only facilitate about 1000 recharge cycles and the battery cannot be replaced. What's the estimated life of my battery in terms of months/years?

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hypothetically a full drain/charge once every day would probably mean 1000/365. So over 2.5 years. Maybe someone with better math skills or battery knowledge can chime in.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Assuming it will be worn every day and full charge cycle required every 2 days that would give a 5 year service life. Also the battery will continue to work beyond that just the usage will lower. Probably take some time after that to get unusable.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The complete answer isn't so simple. As you can see from this link the number of cycles depends in part on how much capacity loss is acceptable. It also depend on how deeply you discharge the unit.

From that page, it appears to me that you get the most lifetime amp-hours by recharging at the 50% level rather than a complete discharge. Assuming you're not wasting power, more lifetime total amp-hours translates into a longer calendar lifetime.

While the batteries may not be user replaceable, I'm sure service tech could replace it. (The batteries are in the sides, behind two "pads" held in with two screws.) And I think it's a safe bet that in 2.5 years, you'll be wanting something else anyway. As much as I like it, I really doubt that this first-generation Band will be all that I'll want/need.

Edit: from this teardown, it doesn't look all that hard.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If you think about the rate of improvement of technology gadgets, I think most people would hope to be using a next-generation device before you get to battery cycle #1000.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
1000 cycles isnt much different than any other gadget

With a non-user replaceable battery. Which describes some cell phones.

And how many users that DO have user-replaceable batteries ever buy a replacement? Think cameras, cell phones, laptops, etc. Yes, there are some, but I suspect they're in the minority. Most use it as an excuse to buy another.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The complete answer isn't so simple. As you can see from this link the number of cycles depends in part on how much capacity loss is acceptable. It also depend on how deeply you discharge the unit.

From that page, it appears to me that you get the most lifetime amp-hours by recharging at the 50% level rather than a complete discharge. Assuming you're not wasting power, more lifetime total amp-hours translates into a longer calendar lifetime.

While the batteries may not be user replaceable, I'm sure service tech could replace it. (The batteries are in the sides, behind two "pads" held in with two screws.) And I think it's a safe bet that in 2.5 years, you'll be wanting something else anyway. As much as I like it, I really doubt that this first-generation Band will be all that I'll want/need.

Edit: from this teardown, it doesn't look all that hard.

I was afraid someone would chime in with this stuff again. The simple answer is, ignore all of this since it is meaningless outside of a handful of professions; charge it when you want to charge; and it will last at least a few years. I would also caution people to not spend too much time reading techno-babble from a company that makes its money producing and selling chargers and battery monitors. Additionally, people should also pay attention to the fact that a charging cycle is not the same as putting it on a charger. It has to be below a certain capacity for it to count as an actual charging cycle....

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
As with all battery cycle life (any type/brand), it depends on numerous, unmeasurable metrics - internal chemistry (no two batteries are alike), operating and charging temperatures, storage temperatures, etc, etc.

If you look at Electric cars such a the Nissan Leaf, the manufactures estimate 8yrs with a daily (slow) charge. Rapid charging is likely to reduce that - only time will tell. Battery technology is changing fast. From someone who remembers the very first generations of AA rechargeables, the current ones - such as Eneloop and way better.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I was afraid someone would chime in with this stuff again.
If you have a better source, by all means. But I'm not sure who would be a better expert - I suppose a researcher. But I'd take the word of a battery/charger company over, say, some journalist who most likely is just re-packaging "internet wisdom".

Additionally, people should also pay attention to the fact that a charging cycle is not the same as putting it on a charger. It has to be below a certain capacity for it to count as an actual charging cycle....
Correct. It's not that simple. A "charge cycle" appears to be a term used for writing specifications and providing comparisons. In actual use, it's not a simple case of it counts or it doesn't. Different charge/discharge profiles have a different impact on the lifespan.

Lacking any better knowledge to the contrary, I do think it's best to charge the Band every day rather than every other day. From a practical standpoint, it's simpler.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
And how many users that DO have user-replaceable batteries ever buy a replacement? Think cameras, cell phones, laptops, etc. Yes, there are some, but I suspect they're in the minority. Most use it as an excuse to buy another.

I'm in the minority, at least I was with my Palm Pre... I bought a couple of new batteries for it over the 3-4 years I had it.