Microsoft gives a subtle reminder about the upcoming death of Windows 10

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft clearly showed they couldn’t care less about their carbon footprint, from this to the enormous push for AI-everything and the related power consumption.
It’s clear they’re terrified of having another Windows XP, with the OS lasting way more than they intended, and all this scare tactics are to try and push people away from 10.
Even if a small percentage jumps ship and lands in a non Microsoft one, I guess they see having one less ship to maintain as a big plus. Not to mention ever since they got into the WaaS update scheme, the number of supported platforms exploded due to all the overlapping releases, with all the extra costs attached

Reactions: The Werewolf

Jack Pipsam

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I haven't minded Windows 11 on my Surface Laptop Studio up till now. But I don't love it either, so I haven't swapped my desktop over from my current dual-boot of 10 & Ubuntu (which I am more than happy with currently).

This whole AI business though, especially this whole Recall nonsense honestly gives me even less desire to upgrade to 11 on my desktop. To the point where I might even be a sucker to buy at least the first year of extended support (or just risk it without lol).
I don't think this is going to end the way Microsoft wants it too, the mood for switching just isn't there and there's no signs of that changing. Especially once the Recall stuff starts getting mainstream attention. Whatever pinkie-promises Microsoft makes will not do anything to convince a lot of people of how utterly creepy and suspect it is. Regardless of whatever Microsoft's intentions are, you just know someone will find a way to hack into it and steal the data remotely lol within the first day lol.

Reactions: The Werewolf

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
So, to be clear, for the majority of Windows users, they had an version of Windows that they mostly liked, worked well for them, had few issues with, that worked on almost anything. Microsoft decided 'screw that' and started another Windows 8 project with a complete overhaul of the UI and more importantly the workflow of Windows, thus breaking a lot of people's long time work processes.

But wait, they also arbitrarily set a hardware limit so that a LOT of existing systems can't run it (bonus sales to OEMs). THEN got wildly sidetracked with genLLM and needing to stick "AI" - again something no one was asking for - into every aspect of Windows culminating with Copilot+ and "Recall" which set the hardware bar even higher at high end ARM processors, when almost no one has one of those. Even their own previous ARM hardware isn't good enough.

Worse, Intel and AMD had risen to the challenge by, for the first time, incorporating NPUs in their CPU chips... only to find at the big reveal that their NPUs aren't even close to powerful enough to run MSFT's AI - which needs 40 TOPs when Intel/AMD's NPUs deliver 10-16 TOPs tops.

And that's ignoring that everyone keeps comparing native ARM performance to native X64 performance which isn't at all surprising, when the real question is "How well can Prism emulation on ARM handle X64 (and X32) apps that will never get ported?" Because that's literally what killed Microsoft's FIRST ARM based device: the Surface RT which was released ten years ago! Yes, long before Apple jumped in.

TBH, I jumped from MacOS to Windows in the early 2000s when MacOS X came in and broke all my workflows and a lot of software I was using. This is seriously making me think about going back to macOS or even jumping to Linux. In the meantime, I'll try to stay on Win 10 as long as I can and hope that Copilot dies a horrible fiery death and we get a new Win 10-like recovery in Win 12 much as Win 10 was a recovery from Microsoft previous nightmare Windows overhaul: Win 8.

(Remember kiddies, Win 10 is actually Win 9 and Win 11 is actually Win 10 because Microsoft chose to skip Win 9 - so the "Even Windows versions suck and odd versions are great" curse still holds...)

Shadow_Death

Jul 26, 2021
Visit site
Talk all they want about "windows 10 is dying" but it's not going to stop gamers and real tech enthusiasts from keeping windows 10 and ignoring 11 while we wait for 12 or the stupidity to get removed from 11.
I just rolled back to 10 yesterday. I got so annoyed with 11 and what I thought was AND driver issues that I rolled back to 10 and all my issues went away.

Fun fact if you disabled HAGS in windows 11 with AND drivers installed some games will continue to act like HAGS is still enabled. Windows 10 doesn't even have it for AMD GPUs at all.

I forgot how bad I missed Windows 10 and having a local account.

At this point I think it is fair to say that Microsoft has long since lost touch with its user base and reality. They're too busy chasing after the heals of Apple to do their own thing.

Last edited: