Microsoft postpones Surface Go 4 with ARM, plans minor refresh with Intel N200 instead

LumiaWin8

Apr 20, 2023
Visit site
I've been wanting a compact and long lasting windows tablet/2-1, ideally with the sleek OG Surface Pro X design.

Not interested in an Intel refresh/spec bump at all.

Things got a bit complicated with Zac reporting about potentially a Surface Pro 11inch being in development tough, especially with that coming out after the Surface Go 4 ARM initially.

In theory those two devices seem at least now somewhat on track to be maybe released in Fall 2024 - likely lining up with the broader availability of the "Oryon" Qualcom/Nuvia ARM chips and "Windows 12" release.

If I'm lucky I'd be able to choose between a pro and a budget version.
Going by my luck however, both devices will be cancelled shortly before release, just as the OG Surface (RT) Mini and even the Lumia 2020 prior...

buksti

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
That is really bad news if there will not be an ARM Surface Go 4. The future is mobile.
I guess I will have to go for a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Go 5G when it hopefully becomes available with 8 GB RAM.

dkstrauss

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
If I'm lucky I'd be able to choose between a pro and a budget version.
Going by my luck however, both devices will be cancelled shortly before release, just as the OG Surface (RT) Mini and even the Lumia 2020 prior...
That will be all our fates more likely than not (add to that Surface Neo)...

Hanley Gibbons

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
The chicken and egg problem of ARM support and ARM devices continues.
My mind is still blown that they opted to release an ARM powered Surface Pro before a Surface Go.

Reactions: Iamdumbguy

davepete

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
My guess is Qualcomm's Nuvia Oryon chips aren't ready. Rather than ship an ARM device that runs Windows at half the speed of the lowest-end Mac, Microsoft will wait for Nuvia to deliver something. Anything. It's already been years, so what's a few more years?

Reactions: ochhanz

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
How much faster is the N200 igpu compared to the UHD Graphics 615? I read that the N200 uses a weaker version of Xe graphics, but can we still expect a 30-50% boost or is it less?

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
How much faster is the N200 igpu compared to the UHD Graphics 615? I read that the N200 uses a weaker version of Xe graphics, but can we still expect a 30-50% boost or is it less?
That's rough considering how crap XE is. How is AMD so good at this (integrated graphics) and Intel is SO bad?

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
My guess is Qualcomm's Nuvia Oryon chips aren't ready. Rather than ship an ARM device that runs Windows at half the speed of the lowest-end Mac, Microsoft will wait for Nuvia to deliver something. Anything. It's already been years, so what's a few more years?
What does this mean? Microsoft isn't waiting for anything. You can buy Windows devices with Qualcomm chips now and they run worse than the lowest end Apple M1 chip does when VIRTUALIZING Windows from within macOS.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
That's rough considering how crap XE is. How is AMD so good at this (integrated graphics) and Intel is SO bad?
I am not entirely sure why, but I think it is because Amd has been focusing on apu's for quite some time and since Ryzen they hit the bullseye. While Intel seems to only really improve igpu every few iterations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander