Microsoft postpones Windows Recall after major backlash — will launch Copilot+ PCs without headlining AI feature

bazanime

Dec 9, 2023
Visit site
Thank you to all the luddites and doom sayers. You people make me sick.
Uh oh! You're going to get the 10-point essay reply from them with all the expected ire and glee.

Either way, I look forward to the updated version when it is eventually released. No rush.
I'm more excited about the Snapdragon performance and battery life.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
This is a shame.

Microsoft were fixing it. I'd have given it a go, see if it was for me.

But like others it's the ARM SOC that's the main draw. It's so odd Microsoft is downplaying this over AI features I've little interest in.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Planning to buy a Surface Laptop (Plus/512GB) this weekend.

Has anyone else seen it says "receive by 8th of August if you choose Express checkout"?

8th of August 😱

I'd like to order direct from Microsoft to get their Microsoft extended warranty plan but waiting 2 months is crazy.

bazanime

Dec 9, 2023
Visit site
This is a shame.

But like others it's the ARM SOC that's the main draw. It's so odd Microsoft is downplaying this over AI features I've little interest in.
They had a whole conference about the many Snapdragon ARM laptops releasing soon, no downplaying there. Alongside they showcased the new AI-powered features of their OS which is reasonable to do.

The online furore around Recall has just overshadowed everything lately that folks have forgotten the other good stuff, unfortunately.

No fret, Recall will be released later when all requirements have been met.

dkstrauss

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
You’re welcome. Since you can’t recognize a security nightmare if it bit you in the xxx no need for me to give you the (much more) than 10 point list. Safer to pull than to face liability claims at this point.

CosmicTourist

Aug 14, 2023
Visit site
Just where did Microsoft get the idea that a groundswell of customers wanted to have their screens saved every few seconds?
This sounds like a classic case of implementing a feature just because you can, without considering whether you should or, more importantly, whether anyone really WANTS it!
I have absolutely NO desire to avail myself of this "feature" and would be one of the first to disable it when it shows up on my PC.
Am I the only one who feels that all of these additions to Windows merely creates yet another vector for bad actors to find ways to hack into the OS and cause us all a lot of grief? I just want an operating system that lets me run the application programs I use. I don't want to have the OS bloated up until it is unrecognizable with capabilities that I don't want and won't use. What ever happened to KISS?

Reactions: DaveDansey

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Big mistake - this move only gives credits to the naysayers and will contribute even more to tarnish the feature.

Releasing it now with an opt-in strategy and implementing quickly mitigating measures would have been a better option - by standing behind the product.

What a disaster.

Reactions: JamesDax3

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
This is a shame.

The reason is because while the ARM soc may be more efficient, it may not nearly be 'enough reason' to get the SL7 over the SL6 for example or even the SL5, especially if you want zero compatibility/software risks.

Sure, the current Intel core ultra chips on the market are not as efficient as the Snapdragon Elite, but for the vast majority of users, the core ultra PCs are more than good enough.

To put this in perspective, I'm still using an 11th gen Intel Surface Laptop Studio, and performance has been great so far for my tasks. Pen is great, studio mode works well, etc. Battery life is mid, but I'm nearly always plugged-in/docked, like most other home/office workers. I have zero motivation to upgrade until maybe 2 years' time. And I'm what you may call a 'power user' - Visual Studio, Matlab, lots of CAD tools etc.

The average Office and web browser user is totally fine with the recent mainstream x86 machines despite their lower efficiency (which is 'adequate'). This is why the NPU and AI recall features had to hyped - features you can't get with any existing machine on the market.

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
If taking advantage of users and not prioritizing privacy makes you sick, then you need help. Stop blindly fanboying over corporations, they don't have your best interest. The got called out on major issues, and need to fix it before releasing it to the masses. The fact you wouldn't want a high quality secure product vs a half-baked security issue ridden app, and using you and other users as testers, is just sad. The feature would've been cool if they took it seriously instead of lazy development and taking advantage of users.

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
This is a shame.

It's still being released on June 18, just enable the Windows Insider Program on your new Copilot+ PC on June 18. It's just not being released to general public because they got caught and clearly isn't ready for general public.

Reactions: bradavon

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Big mistake - this move only gives credits to the naysayers and will contribute even more to tarnish the feature.

Releasing it now with an opt-in strategy and implementing quickly mitigating measures would have been a better option - by standing behind the product.

What a disaster.
They did that to themselves, as always, repeating their mistakes and never learning from the past. Without the 'naysayers', they wouldn't have been called out on the security and privacy nightmare and lazy development. It would have been users in big security risk - including recording passwords unencrypted through screenshots.

Also, you can still use the feature on June 18, they're releasing it to Insiders instead of general public. So just enable Windows Insider Program on your Copilot+ PC, and you'll get the feature.

Reactions: Jack Pipsam
Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Planning to buy a Surface Laptop (Plus/512GB) this weekend.

Has anyone else seen it says "receive by 8th of August if you choose Express checkout"?

8th of August 😱

I'd like to order direct from Microsoft to get their Microsoft extended warranty plan but waiting 2 months is crazy.
Were you looking at the "for Business" version? My boss is going to get an SP11 for me and possibly an SL7 for himself but he had to get the "for Business" version because they didn't offer the same extended warranty on the consumer version. The business version is being released significantly later, even though the only difference is Windows 11 Pro instead of Home.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I preordered a SL7 Elite/512 a couple of weeks ago and the ship date was already pushed back to July 3rd.
Thanks for the update. So August now maybe accurate.

Weird when I can order from Currys and it still says:

"Get it delivered on release day 18/06/2024"

Currys are the biggest physical store computer retail chain in The UK.

But I don't get the extended warranty through them.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Were you looking at the "for Business" version? My boss is going to get an SP11 for me and possibly an SL7 for himself but he had to get the "for Business" version because they didn't offer the same extended warranty on the consumer version. The business version is being released significantly later, even though the only difference is Windows 11 Pro instead of Home.
No consumer. UK.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I preordered a SL7 Elite/512 a couple of weeks ago and the ship date was already pushed back to July 3rd.
Did you order Sapphire?

In the UK all the colours of the SL7 now say August, except the Grey which still say 18th of June.

I'd much prefer the blue, like everyone else, but ultimatly it's just a colour. Expect I'll get the Grey as 13th of August is nuts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DestructoDisk