microsoft should not give w10 for 512 mb phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit khubchandani

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
OK before everyone express their anger let me give my opinion.when microsoft released wp 8.1 for phones they actually removed some of the features present in wp 8.0 and made it available as a separate app like games hub,calender,music and video player to name a few which could be updated.This allowed them to add features without sacrificing the app compatibility. I personally hate the fact that the music and the other apps take so much time to load now compared to wp 8.0.so i am trying to say microsoft should add the features to the os itself and not provide it as a separate app,these 512 mb ram phones can be a barrier if microsoft wants to implement it.Also with the introduction of a first 4xx series phone and that too with 1 gb ram microsoft themselves are trying to convey that the era of 512 mb ram phones is over.This will leave many users angry but it would be nice for the platform and i am saying that being a lumia 520 user

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
re:

The majority of WP devices sold is low end, with a huge load of them having only 512MB RAM. I wouldn't even want to actually imagine the ****storm caused by not releasing W10 for these devices. This would probably be close to being the actual end of WP in the first place.
The decision to make certain OS core apps regular apps was to be able to deliver updates for these apps faster than before. As long as they were tied to the OS, full OS updates were needed in order to update them. And keeping in mind that people use to cry about the smallest changes coming in an update they have to wait for a couple of weeks, I'd suggest MS made quite a smart move.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

Evntually MS will move away form 512 mb devices, simply because of the demand, but if MS decides to boycott the current 512mb users it would be a fatal blow to them. Right now the low-end devices are the ones that are very popular and leaving them behind could potentially be the reason why they leave this platform. I don't think WP can afford another wp7.0 fiasco

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

Let MS transition the user base carefully. Eventually those 512 Mb users will upgrade to a new phone. If the phones available are 1 Mb of ram and up. Problem solved. Forcing it would kill WP so just give it time

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

How could leaving the 512mb phones out of the update in anyway help the current situation with OS apps?
Besides this is how it should have been from the start since the updates are delivered much faster and more current now. All major platforms do it this way...

mohit khubchandani

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Many people will not leave the platform if windows 10 is not available for their device i have seen people using wp 8.0 and who don't even think of updating it,just make future apps made for windows 10 compatible for windows phone 8.1 devices and many users will be happy

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The app thing had nothing to do with RAM. Alienating the majority of their users would be like digging their own grave (in the mobile market), not with a shovel but a bulldozer.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Many people will not leave the platform if windows 10 is not available for their device i have seen people using wp 8.0 and who don't even think of updating it,just make future apps made for windows 10 compatible for windows phone 8.1 devices and many users will be happy

But you still didn't answer my question, How exactly does anyone benefit from not giving 512mb devices OS updates?
You really do have a flawed way of thinking...

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Ms is after all company which needs money to go on,if it keeps on providing updates to older devices why would anyone buy the new ones,the x20 devices got one major update and if they don't get another the users should upgrade,the only people with lumia 530 and 630/635 should be unhappy as they would not get even one major update.and i was just keeping my opinion you are the real sick person here nandakumar

Only? U do realise 630 was the highest selling lumia of last year?
Besides even the 520 was still sold much more than most of the 1gb ram devices last year...
You really have no idea about the consequences of such a move...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

an interesting opinion, and certainly one that is definitely unpopular.

personally, I don't think they can afford such a move at all, even if it is an attempt to improve the rest. although, I don't think axing 512 MB support would yield many immediate benefits.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

[WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
re:

Notice the people complaining about not getting Demin upgrade? Imagine them not getting W10 for which Microsoft promised them they'd get. Hell to pay.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
re:

Really?
.... Really?

I mean, compare how many 512mb phones vs 1gb phones are being used around the world, and then think better why Microsoft should do that.
It doesn't even make sense how avoiding 512mb as an update will make the apps open faster? but then, I am sorry to tell you but Microsoft already pretty much said all WP8 would get 10. so this thread is just a waste of time becuase that won't happen. maybe you should suppoer 64bit only or something "amazing" like that in your next thread?
I mean why optimize an OS to run better on 512mb or the same and make apps better and show you are the best OS maker, if you can just eliminate 70% of userbase by only giving OS updates to 1gb+ users? again, it surely makes sense /s
^___________^

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

Really?
.... Really?

I mean, compare how many 512mb phones vs 1gb phones are being used around the world, and then think better why Microsoft should do that.
It doesn't even make sense how avoiding 512mb as an update will make the apps open faster? but then, I am sorry to tell you but Microsoft already pretty much said all WP8 would get 10. so this thread is just a waste of time becuase that won't happen. maybe you should suppoer 64bit only or something "amazing" like that in your next thread?
I mean why optimize an OS to run better on 512mb or the same and make apps better and show you are the best OS maker, if you can just eliminate 70% of userbase by only giving OS updates to 1gb+ users? again, it surely makes sense /s
^___________^
This is the best answer, and with this the thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99