Is there a Microsoft People app for Android

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I am still - sadly - adapting to Android after the loss of WP.
I use Outlook for Android to handle Mail and Calendar needs; but it does not have any Contact / People functionality as near as I can tell. (I'm wanting an app that will sync contacts from outlook.com)
Am I missing something here?
I've searched Google Play Store but can't locate any Microsoft app for Contacts / People.
I have a bad habit of not seeing what's right in front of me, so I'm hoping someone can simply point out what I'm overlooking and the problem will be solved.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you, David. I was a long time Windows Phone user. Even wrote some apps for it. So, it was with a heavy heart that I bought my first Android phone, a week ago today. I realized that I just had to move on.

Anyway, I felt the same and spent a few days looking for a Microsoft People's app for Android. Is there one? Not that I can find. However, there's at least a work around. If you get the Outlook for Android app, you can find your contacts that are in Outlook.com, but tapping on the Search icon/button on the bottom of the app, between the Mail button (on the left) and the Calendar button (on the right). You can search there, and that search includes searching through your Outlook.com contacts. It works. Honestly, not easily discoverable (it took me days to find it), but it works.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This has probably been said to death but the People functionality on Windows Phone actually was really good. But, as time went on, and social media companies made their own apps, people are happy with the respective app. That's why there is no such People app on anything other than Windows Phone. A shame really.

gmoore114

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
You don't need a people app.

I turned off my 1520.3 and went to android. My Nokia 7.1 does not have the outlook app.
Your Microsoft account is an exchange account to start with. A properly setup MS exchange account will give you your contacts, calendar and email on your android phone. The MS account syncs to the native android calendar, contacts and Gmail apps. Couldn't stand the native calendar so I use the aCalendar app.
Only two primary accounts on the phone, Gmail and my Hotmail account.

See my post here in the android forum.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-pie/961744-adding-microsoft-exchange-account-finally-works.html#post6571339

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
You don't need a people app.

I turned off my 1520.3 and went to android. My Nokia 7.1 does not have the outlook app.
Your Microsoft account is an exchange account to start with. A properly setup MS exchange account will give you your contacts, calendar and email on your android phone. The MS account syncs to the native android calendar, contacts and Gmail apps. Couldn't stand the native calendar so I use the aCalendar app.
Only two primary accounts on the phone, Gmail and my Hotmail account.

See my post here in the android forum.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-pie/961744-adding-microsoft-exchange-account-finally-works.html#post6571339

Yes, you are right. I forgot about that. I am so used to using the actual Outlook app.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm with you, David. I was a long time Windows Phone user. Even wrote some apps for it. So, it was with a heavy heart that I bought my first Android phone, a week ago today. I realized that I just had to move on.

Anyway, I felt the same and spent a few days looking for a Microsoft People's app for Android. Is there one? Not that I can find. However, there's at least a work around. If you get the Outlook for Android app, you can find your contacts that are in Outlook.com, but tapping on the Search icon/button on the bottom of the app, between the Mail button (on the left) and the Calendar button (on the right). You can search there, and that search includes searching through your Outlook.com contacts. It works. Honestly, not easily discoverable (it took me days to find it), but it works.

Ok, I am not leaving windows phone. I am looking for a HP Elite X3 to replace the Alcatel Idol 4s windows phone I gave to my daughter.

But, I have my sons Nexus 6p as a back up for the old Nokia 520 I am using until I find the HP. I DO NOT WANT ANY OF MY DATA IN THE GOOGLE APPS OR SYSTEM.. I loaded the outlook app, edge, etc . all Microsoft apps. I found the contacts in the search spot you mentioned, but they only display email addresses. How do I dial the contacts from the phone dialer with out manually dialing the number after looking up on the web app.?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I am not leaving windows phone. I am looking for a HP Elite X3 to replace the Alcatel Idol 4s windows phone I gave to my daughter.

But, I have my sons Nexus 6p as a back up for the old Nokia 520 I am using until I find the HP. I DO NOT WANT ANY OF MY DATA IN THE GOOGLE APPS OR SYSTEM.. I loaded the outlook app, edge, etc . all Microsoft apps. I found the contacts in the search spot you mentioned, but they only display email addresses. How do I dial the contacts from the phone dialer with out manually dialing the number after looking up on the web app.?

What phone has the contacts on that you are referring to?

What I did was simply go to Outlook online, click People to see my Microsoft account contacts and then, on my Android phone, add each contact manually, including their name, email address and phone number.

It's a pain, yes, but it's better than nothing and getting burnt trying a fake app.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I'm no expert on this, but as near as I can tell because there is no fully developed Contacts app either separately or as a function of the Outlook for Android app, you're stuck with make-do work-arounds. I have a Samsung phone, and so use their Contacts app. I used my desktop to get all my contacts updated using outlook.com. Connected to my outlook.com account using Outlook for Android. Used Samsung's Settings to make sure that my outlook.com account was set to sync contacts. IMHO Samsung's Contact app and dialer suck. But like others here, I want to keep my data as minimized from Google as possible.

dcbcherrgate

Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
Really really easy solution. Make sure you have Outlook installed on your Droid. In Outlook settings, choose account info then toggle the button helpfully labelled "sync contacts". In Driod contacts, make sure you have your microsoft account configured to sync contacts. Also check the microsoft account is the default location for new contacts

Attachments

• outlook contacts sync in Android.png
    outlook contacts sync in Android.png
    570.5 KB · Views: 177

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Really really easy solution. Make sure you have Outlook installed on your Droid. In Outlook settings, choose account info then toggle the button helpfully labelled "sync contacts". In Driod contacts, make sure you have your microsoft account configured to sync contacts. Also check the microsoft account is the default location for new contacts

Good information! Thanks.

Ants21

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
Exporting Microsoft People (contacts) with Contacts App on Android phone.

I have been investigating how to get my Microsoft People (contacts) exported to a contacts app on my Android phone with various levels of success. There are many comments by others trying to do the same thing with various levels of success and frustration. The Microsoft Windows 10 phone had synchronisation of contacts through the Microsoft Account, however there appears no simple way to link Microsoft people (contacts) with Android as there isn’t, currently a Microsoft People app for the Android phone.

The following work around is the method I have found for transferring Microsoft People (contacts) to an Android phone.

First, install Google Contacts on the Android phone, in app Settings, Contacts sync settings, link your Google Account and in Backup Account, confirm that, Automatically back up and sync device contacts, is turned on. In the Sync status confirm that, Automatically sync, is set to on.

Google Contacts (online) account supports the CSV file import/export of contacts, only in the, CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv) file format. The Microsoft People (online) account supports CSV file import/export of contacts, only in the, CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited) (*.csv) file format. Therefore, the Microsoft People online CSV file is incorrectly formatted for importing directly into the Google Contacts account. The CSV (.csv) file exported from the Microsoft People (online) account must be saved in the, CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv) Excel file format (see drop down menu in Excel for format when saving), so it can be imported with the correct formatting, into the Google Contacts (online) account.

Therefore, your Microsoft People (contacts) may be exported into your Google Contacts account with the formatting preserved. Note that if a new contact is added to the Microsoft People (contacts) then the procedure above will need to be repeated to sync with the Google Contacts.

The Windows 10 People app may be set to automatically synchronise with the Google Gmail account and can only import from the Google Contacts account. The Gmail account must be added, by clicking, Add an account and then the contacts may be manually synchronised in the Windows 10 People app by right clicking on the Gmail Account in Settings and clicking Synchronise.

The Windows 10 People app can automatically import (but not export) contacts that are in the online Microsoft People account. If a contact is deleted from the
Windows 10 People app it will not be deleted in the Google Contacts app on the phone. If a contact is added to the Windows 10 People app it is not exported to any of the other contacts accounts. If a contact is added or removed from to the phone’s Google Contacts app it will be synchronised with the online Goggle Contacts account and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss