Microsoft still releases their apps on other platforms but on WP

Mohamed Zaher1

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Typo in the title : "but not on WP"
Microsoft has released an app called SNIPP3T in the itunes app store, but not on the windows phone store. the point of the app is pretty silly but it still points to how Microsoft prioritizes other platforms more. This has also happened before with Climatology, where it was released on android first.
This has pushed me to see the other apps Microsoft released in the app store. The result is disastrous. A good amount of apps in the app store haven't made it to the WP store. Also, some of the cool apps on WP like Photosynth (which I thought to be WP exclusive), is in the app store.
How will Microsoft be able to make WP pull off from its miserable market share if they are busy developing for other platforms and releasing to them what it is supposed to be WP exclusive ? how can we blame other developers and companies like Google for not developing for WP if Microsoft is still on this attitude ?. Even though Microsoft did an awesome job in WP8.1 and its GDR1 update, They really need to rectify this attitude.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well to be honest your not the only one that has come to that conclusion.

They are transitioning to a platform company.. and they will cater to those which has a larger install base just like any other company unfortunately. Some of the teams are too tied up in giving all users the same experience to realize this is actually detrimental to WP growith. Sure you may attract some users but not as many if the unique experience of Windows phone and it's ecosystem surpasses those of the competing platform.

Mohamed Zaher1

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I know I am not the first obviously, but I had to speak up, because with such attitude that still hasn't changed(SNIPP3T), it's getting bitter by the day. One would think after the amazing WP8.1 and its update that Microsoft has finally been focusing on WP solely, but apparently not and they should not expect much when they always treat WP users as 2nd tier citizens . Well, it has been mentioned many times that some from WP team read every comment and post, so I really hope that someone there reads this and rectify it, because patience is not infinite.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
MSFT is still and will for the foreseeable future a software company that also produces hardware. It's a dilemma that only enrages WP fans, but as I've said before, WP doesn't have to supplant Android or even Apple for it to be a success in the grand scheme of the MSFT entity. Android and Apple don't really have to appease the multitude of outlets MSFT has induced themselves with.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
If I see MS software on my Android phone, I would assume that Microsoft also make the device for their own phone. Otherwise, I wouldn't even think of the device.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Get used to it.. its software company , there are multiple divisions and teams which does different type of development work.
Eg Office software team = 5000 employees doing developments on office only. Now if IOS or android teams can get their products ready and are more quicker then WP teams , why should they wait they have worked hard and made their product available to market.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Get used to it.. its software company , there are multiple divisions and teams which does different type of development work.
Eg Office software team = 5000 employees doing developments on office only. Now if IOS or android teams can get their products ready and are more quicker then WP teams , why should they wait they have worked hard and made their product available to market.

That only shows how disarrayed the whole company is, and they would never be able to get their act together.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You guys need to see the bigger picture. If you're scratching on the surface only, it appears that Microsoft prioritizes other platforms over their very own. If you look behind the obvious you'll see that what Microsoft does is actually draw people away from Apple and Google. into their services. They try and get more users on board, who may eventually make the transition over to WP in the end.
It's okay with me if they bring their services to other platforms. The only thing I'm really worried about is the fact that the apps for competing platforms are very often superior to their offerings for WP. That's definitely something they need to change. "Use our services, no matter the platform. But if you want the best and full experience, jump on the WP bandwagon." That's how it should be.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Could be the same thing as with Climatology, the apps were released at the same time for Android and WP but Android app was approved faster so it was first.

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk

Mohamed Zaher1

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.. I am starting to feel it's not going to make it to the WP store. The difference in time between climatology appearing in the play store and the WP store was a few hours, it has been a day.
Here's my thoughts on what has been said above :
1) MS should submit their apps to the other stores only when their apps appear on the WP store not submitting them to all stores on the same time.
2) I am a MS customer and I signed up for their mobile OS, so I should get a first class service, otherwise why should I stay with WP if I can better service from MS elsewhere?
3) Indeed, the idea of releasing apps and services to other platforms to draw customers may be a nice one, but still some apps and services must remain WP exclusive. I have to feel the welfare and prosperity of being a MS customer just like all other companies treat their customers. I am still scratching my head why Photosynth is available on iOS. Maybe MS should release the array of Nokia apps to IOS as well.
3) I know that MS is a big company with many divisions and with many obstacles that come between their cooperation. Also, I don't know which division is responsible for the apps, but we have been promised since last year that the walls between the teams will come down to finally see the company acting like one unit. The recent reorganization of the company and the layoffs were in aim for such promise. Such act does not show the one unit company they have been talking about.
Anyway, my experience with Lumia and WP has been amazing so far, specially after WP8.1, but such deeds do leave some bitterness.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.. I am starting to feel it's not going to make it to the WP store. The difference in time between climatology appearing in the play store and the WP store was a few hours, it has been a day.
Here's my thoughts on what has been said above :
1) MS should submit their apps to the other stores only when their apps appear on the WP store not submitting them to all stores on the same time.
2) I am a MS customer and I signed up for their mobile OS, so I should get a first class service, otherwise why should I stay with WP if I can better service from MS elsewhere?
3) Indeed, the idea of releasing apps and services to other platforms to draw customers may be a nice one, but still some apps and services must remain WP exclusive. I have to feel the welfare and prosperity of being a MS customer just like all other companies treat their customers. I am still scratching my head why Photosynth is available on iOS. Maybe MS should release the array of Nokia apps to IOS as well.
3) I know that MS is a big company with many divisions and with many obstacles that come between their cooperation. Also, I don't know which division is responsible for the apps, but we have been promised since last year that the walls between the teams will come down to finally see the company acting like one unit. The recent reorganization of the company and the layoffs were in aim for such promise. Such act does not show the one unit company they have been talking about.
Anyway, my experience with Lumia and WP has been amazing so far, specially after WP8.1, but such deeds do leave some bitterness.
They can't do that, Microsoft are a software company FIRST. Blame our low market share to why it still hasn't been released to the WP store yet. They don't care about prioritzation, they just want to make money.

mustbepbs

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Google does this with iOS as well. More often than not, the iOS version of maps, Gmail and others look nicer, have more features and get updated before Android. It's not just Microsoft.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Mohamed Zaher1

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
They can't do that, Microsoft are a software company FIRST. Blame our low market share to why it still hasn't been released to the WP store yet. They don't care about prioritzation, they just want to make money.

They have to do that, otherwise they should stop developing and selling WP. The only one to be blamed for this and the market share of WP is MS. All I am asking is for them to prioritize their OS. I don't care about MS being " software company first". What's the point of having their mobile OS if it's not the first on their list.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
You guys need to see the bigger picture. If you're scratching on the surface only, it appears that Microsoft prioritizes other platforms over their very own. If you look behind the obvious you'll see that what Microsoft does is actually draw people away from Apple and Google. into their services. They try and get more users on board, who may eventually make the transition over to WP in the end.
It's okay with me if they bring their services to other platforms. The only thing I'm really worried about is the fact that the apps for competing platforms are very often superior to their offerings for WP. That's definitely something they need to change. "Use our services, no matter the platform. But if you want the best and full experience, jump on the WP bandwagon." That's how it should be.
You couldn't say better, totally agreed and the reason they develop first in other platforms it's because they represent 95% of the mobile platform... So it is obviously that is very important this market for them.

Ansari Shoeb

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Typo in the title : "but not on WP"
Microsoft has released an app called SNIPP3T in the itunes app store, but not on the windows phone store. the point of the app is pretty silly but it still points to how Microsoft prioritizes other platforms more. This has also happened before with Climatology, where it was released on android first.
This has pushed me to see the other apps Microsoft released in the app store. The result is disastrous. A good amount of apps in the app store haven't made it to the WP store. Also, some of the cool apps on WP like Photosynth (which I thought to be WP exclusive), is in the app store.
How will Microsoft be able to make WP pull off from its miserable market share if they are busy developing for other platforms and releasing to them what it is supposed to be WP exclusive ? how can we blame other developers and companies like Google for not developing for WP if Microsoft is still on this attitude ?. Even though Microsoft did an awesome job in WP8.1 and its GDR1 update, They really need to rectify this attitude.

Totally aagreed with you.. MS. Needs to keep few apps exclusive to windows platform but the thing is MS won't, whereas other company like apple, google, bla bla, can.. This is what makes difference between WP and other OS.. I personally feel overdrived when some users say I have this app wherein WP users don't...

Mohamed Zaher1

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
You couldn't say better, totally agreed and the reason they develop first in other platforms it's because they represent 95% of the mobile platform... So it is obviously that is very important this market for them.

So I have to settle for less ( or nothing) from Microsoft even though I am their customer just because their customers share is low ????? What's the point of me being their customer then ?? What's the point of me giving them my money instead of Apple or google for example? For them to develope for other platforms?? It doesn't make sense to me.
There is no tech company that has done that, not when it had low market or when it has had bigger market share. The least to be done like google, is to release their software first on their OS, then to other platforms.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
So I have to settle for less ( or nothing) from Microsoft even though I am their customer just because their customers share is low ????? What's the point of me being their customer then ?? What's the point of me giving them my money instead of Apple or google for example? For them to develope for other platforms?? It doesn't make sense to me.
There is no tech company that has done that, not when it had low market or when it has had bigger market share. The least to be done like google, is to release their software first on their OS, then to other platforms.
Microsoft is a software company and they need to develop for other platforms as well. But like someone I quoted said in my previous comment... Their apps in other platforms are sometimes even better than the apps for Windows Phone. Microsoft need to put their energy in developing apps better than in other platforms. They need to make sure that the superior experience is only available in Windows Phone and not in Android. This is the only way to make Windows Phone a more attractive platform for these people to switch.

Arka1412

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Skype, One note, one drive all are available in app store with better quality..and now they are thinking to port Cortana to Other platforms..but Apple never ever will port Facetime or Siri to WP..Someone said they give best service on other platforms to drive the customers to WP..so they will drive them to use ****? Because all those services are already best over there..Let them develop apps for other platforms I don't care but they should look that those apps should be best on WP..

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
The transitions has just started. Give it a time. The stuff you are seeing today probably came from the pipelines of Ballmer's era. The way they implemented GDR1 with such speed and 2 weekly updates of XBox music and video might be an indicator of their commitment to OS. I'm sure once they cover their base in OS front, they will improve their own apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers