Microsoft Surface Phone

GustavN

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

I have created an ad for a Surface inspired phone that I wanted to share with you! :grin: I hope you like it. (And that Microsoft end up releasing one of course :wink:)

(I hope it is okay to place it in this forum.)

GustavN

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Great video! But isn't Surfone a little too cheesy :p

Thanks! Hehe, yeah, I know! :grin: I rendered two versions, with the other one just saying "Surface Phone", but I ended up taking the short name anyway because "Surface Phone" felt so... I don't know. Long? Non-unique? Perhaps I picked the wrong one.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
sPhone?

BTW: good upbeat music choice! Would you please try and see if you can show more features of WP8? It will be really cool user-made ad for WP in general if not SurPhone ;)

GustavN

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't know, it is a bit too similar to iPhone in my opinion, especially the small letter in the beginning

BTW: good upbeat music choice!

Thank you! :grin: That really made me happy since I made the music myself.

Would you please try and see if you can show more features of WP8? It will be really cool user-made ad for WP in general if not SurPhone ;)

Absolutely, that would be good! I am not going to work any more on it in the near future since I have a lot of other things to do :) But sure, perhaps I will make one later for WP8 more specifically. (And hey, SurPhone doesn't sound too bad! Hm... Naming things is hard :sweaty:)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nice work.

I would make the screen less blotchy as the reflections move across when the phone is rotating into view. Should be a glass smooth reflection. Also, when the app list is scrolling through you can see the white in the earpiece and windows logo. Logo does not look like a backlit touch button.

What program did you render and animate in?

GustavN

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all! :smile:
I used Blender for creating the animation and it took about two days (it was intended to be a quick 24-hours project to test myself but... well, I just kept wanting to make it better :grin:)

I would make the screen less blotchy as the reflections move across when the phone is rotating into view. Should be a glass smooth reflection.

The blotchyness is unfortunately a consequence of quality vs time. The longer I let the computer process the image (render) the smoother the reflections will be. I decided that was the best time/quality trade off since getting something completely smooth would take several days for my computer.

Also, when the app list is scrolling through you can see the white in the earpiece...

That was something I noticed before but I never fixed it, believe it or not. I don't really know why. I think it was 50% me forgetting it and 50% me actually thinking it looked kind of cool :sweaty: Good eye though!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Its good work for only 2 days of total time invested. I have watched it a bunch of times now. I would like to see a slight bit more pause as the screen is unlocked before the phone moves up and the app list scrolls through. Also, instead of the app list, it should be the start screen live tiles, and they should be animated. Scroll the screen a bit slower so the animations can be seen.

I work in Strata3D. Pretty simple and powerful program. Your lighting looks good. That's always the hardest part for me.

I know it was just a quick project, but that's what happens when you do a good job. People want more. :smile:

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Things like this make me very envious, I miss tinkering around doing creative things. Many many years ago I spent days playing around with real basic animation on Deluxe Paint.... I know, I know, it is not in the same league as this, but I still miss it. The Amiga was good to me.

Kudos to you for taking the time.

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Really Nice!!! I wish I knew how to 3d-animate (or had the energy to learn).

PS. Im hoping that Microsoft will call their phone "Microphone".

GustavN

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everybody! :smile:

I would like to see a slight bit more pause as the screen is unlocked before the phone moves up and the app list scrolls through. Also, instead of the app list, it should be the start screen live tiles, and they should be animated. Scroll the screen a bit slower so the animations can be seen.

I know it was just a quick project, but that's what happens when you do a good job. People want more. :smile:

Haha, no problem :grin: I am just glad people give me tips on how I can improve it.

The reason the phone flies up the same second he unlocks it was that I wanted it to look like the momentum of the lockscreen pulled the phone away, if you understand what I mean. I think the desired effect might be lost because of the clunky camera movement, but that was at least my intention with not having a pause. The reason for moving through so fast you can't actually see what it is is to give the feeling "it is so much I can't even show you it all".

Even though I would have loved to do the live tiles I ended up doing the app list for a not so flattering reason, that it is simpler. Since they don't move it was very easye to just take screen captures on my Lumia 920 and scroll through those images. If I were to have dynamic live tiles I would have had to make them myself inside my 3D program instead of stealing from my phone since you can't screen capture video.

Im hoping that Microsoft will call their phone "Microphone".

Hahahaha, that is brilliant! I love it so much, fantastic!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte