Microsoft to Add Split-Screen Multitasking and Actionable Notifications to Windows Phone

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
What an OS needs is a strong focus on a few main usage scenarios that are complete and as polished as possible, with a good resistance towards feature creep. Just as with apps, at some point (which we've reached with WP8.1) it should be about quality more than quantity. It's better to do a few things really well, than to be a jack of all trades and master of none, which is always the outcome of an "as many features as possible" approach.

While I do agree with you there, a5cent (I always do! :D ) I have to add that the Android implementation by Samsung and other Android OEMs is very "hacky". Android is good at multitasking, yes, but split screen is not native and is implemented by OEM skins which completely botch the experience. I've used it on the Note series and it stutters a lot. It feels as if one app is minimized but still showing on screen (you can feel the stutter of switching apps when you have to tap the other app to make it responsive).

The Windows implementation is very different. Given that WP shares a lot of code with Windows itself, it will certainly be far smoother and functional. Also since Microsoft is doing it to their own software, it'll be best-implemented. It will fit in most beautifully. Though I do think it's overkill and useless for devices smaller than 6", it will be great for the 1520-sized phablets and tablets (once RT and WP merge).

Off-topic: If/when the RT and WP merge happens, I hope they make RT more like WP, instead of the other way around. I believe the phone OS design is much more beautiful compared to the desktop one.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why do we need split screens on a phone? Im either replying to emails or navigating or listening to music, but 2 at once?!
I find myself holding the back button and scrolling back and forth to verify numbers or type something that I couldn't copy (like in a picture), frequently.
I do that on my Samsung Ativ Odyssey (not 4.7"+).
JJ

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I agree partially with the statement about quantity of features. I want WP to be a platform that is highly customizable yet highly usable at the same time. I love Cortana, transparent tiles, live folders, notification center, yadda yadda. Split screen multitasking is big if you ask me. Why? Because it's different. Its not a necessary feature to use, nor is it going to get in the way of everyday tasks. But when you find a time that you want to be able to do two things at once, it is extremely useful. Sure, too many features means it gets crowded, ok. But maybe more things to advertise about and make a statement for Windows Phone is necessary. I also don't agree with the statement about remembering what a phone is all about. Should we continue to think that phones are only for making calls and sending texts? Obviously someone thought that they could do more with a handheld devise, and so came the birth of the smartphone. We can either embrace change or forbid it, either way its going to happen and we can't let it stop us from making the best of it.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I find myself holding the back button and scrolling back and forth to verify numbers or type something that I couldn't copy (like in a picture), frequently.
I do that on my Samsung Ativ Odyssey (not 4.7"+).
JJ
Doesn't work that well with Authenticator apps that keep on running.
If the multitasking interface could just be like the live taskbar preview in desktop Windows
a5cent
- Cortana is one killer feature. What is the next?
Social media integration in People hub that lets you see all the updates in one place
Send update and receive all your social media notification through the Me hub and see it all through the live tile
Seamlessly chat with friend using different instant messaging options through the Message hub without having to switch applications

Windows Phone got more unique features than just Cortana

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas