Might switch OS, need help.

MercenaryOne

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I unfortunately don't have any Android friends to ask, as they are pretty clueless about technology. I figured this is the best place to ask since I haven't used Android since the Galaxy S1.

I currently have an HTC M8 For Windows, and it is starting to have issues. I need it to last till January of 2017 when my contract is up though. At this time I was thinking of switching to Android IF possible. There are a few features of WP that has kept me on the platform for so long, I just need to know if Android has these features or something close:

1. People: The people portion of the OS is nice, I have Facebook but I don't use it, but this manages all my contacts from Facebook in alphabetical order with anchors for each letter, and they are added to my Contacts automatically.

2. Folders: The ability to have folders and throw Apps/games/icons into that folder is absolutely AMAZING. Less clutter=awesome.

3. Calendar: This is an absolute must have. My wife and I use the built in Calendar on our phones, and we have a Family Calendar that gets shared between us. If she adds an event I see it, if I add one, she sees it and so forth. Makes it EXTREMELY easy to monitor Dr. appointments for the kid, pick up and drop offs for her, and schedule changes, school meetings, etc. We both use @hotmail.com email addresses, and are not wanting to switch to gmail, since everything is already set up in our hotmail.

The Calendar is an absolute must have and if Android doesn't offer it unfortunately I can't switch platforms. I will just have to live with a phone that won't upgrade to W10, a desolate app store, low selection of phones in the future(Verizon), and crappy support.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
re:

I'm not too familiar with the people thing, since my Microsoft account is the anchor for everything.

Folders are present on Android and they work the same actually.

As for the family calendar, you should still be able to add to it but you would have to go into the Outlook app to create an event. As long as you add your MS account as an exchange account, you will have no issues being able to see what she adds. You would just have to make new events within the Outlook app only. The only permissions that you have with the Outlook app on Android is to sync contacts.

Imo, iOS is a little bit more friendly with events showing up and with Outlook in general.

Azensun

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

Here is the best response I can give you:
Hold onto the HTC M8 a bit longer. The new Windows 10 will be released next week and you might find some really great new features with it.
For me personally, I did not enjoy my Android experience and gave it up after a month of use. You might want to try the Android Central forums, you'll probably find lots of folks who can give you better answers.

Good luck.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
re:

Here is the best response I can give you:
Hold onto the HTC M8 a bit longer. The new Windows 10 will be released next week and you might find some really great new features with it.
Good luck.

Is the HTC M8 supported still for Windows 10 Mobile? If it is, you are correct. If not, there will be nothing to get next week, the build that the OP is on, if any, is the end of the line.
It's very important to mention this.

Azensun

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Is the HTC M8 supported still for Windows 10 Mobile? If it is, you are correct. If not, there will be nothing to get next week, the build that the OP is on, if any, is the end of the line.

Yes, you are right, libra89 so I should omit that from my response.

Good point, libra89.

Last edited by a moderator:

MercenaryOne

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Yes HTC M8 is not getting W10, HTC blames MS, MS blames HTC.
Thanks PKCable for the link, it actually helped me out. Looks like I will be able to switch over no problem.
I just wish I knew someone directly that uses Android the way I need to, so I can mess with their phone and see how it all works.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does google have a rewards program like Bing where I can redeem my rewards points for App Store cash?

Not quite. They do have a Google Opinion Rewards program where you take surveys for Play Store credit.

Also I know Android has folders. And if not, there are zillions of launchers that do.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is a Bing Rewards app for Android.
b1079feed6841c07cb68d4de2de6993a.jpg

Not quite. They do have a Google Opinion Rewards program where you take surveys for Play Store credit.

Also I know Android has folders. And if not, there are zillions of launchers that do.
2b7a3862863d3a9ae2b976d15bb82d16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MercenaryOne

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Awesome, thank you Laura. Also I don't seem to be getting responses on my Outlook App problem on the Android central forums. If anyone knows or can chime in that has knowledge, please do.

Outlook App help - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

My brother has a Galaxy S5 that I am having him test the app on to see if it works the way I need it to. So far not so good, he said he would try some more testing tomorrow to let me know.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Also I don't seem to be getting responses on my Outlook App problem on the Android...

I quit using MS Outlook for Android.
Counted it as a failure at least for e-mail.

The default calendar on my LG G4 will allow syncing with Exchange accounts and other e-mail apps present in the playstore.

I'm almost sure most calendars on most Android phones allow complete sync options when other non google accounts are added in.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, thank you Laura. Also I don't seem to be getting responses on my Outlook App problem on the Android central forums. If anyone knows or can chime in that has knowledge, please do.

Outlook App help - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

My brother has a Galaxy S5 that I am having him test the app on to see if it works the way I need it to. So far not so good, he said he would try some more testing tomorrow to let me know.
I gave up on the Outlook app, since I have better results managing multiple email accounts using Aqua Mail. I bought the Pro version.

I don't use any shared calendars, but just use the Google Calendar, since I'm single and don't need to share calendar events with anyone else, so sorry I can't help you with that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I gave up on the Outlook app, since I have better results managing multiple email accounts using Aqua Mail. I bought the Pro version.

I don't use any shared calendars, but just use the Google Calendar, since I'm single and don't need to share calendar events with anyone else, so sorry I can't help you with that.

You can share events with Google Calendar easily to Outlook on WP.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Something similar to People would be Contacts + on Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.contapps.android&hl=en

There's a whole bunch of other contact apps available.

Folders is standard on Android now but keep in mind that it's different than WP as there isn't a start screen but you could technically keep your home screen down to one screen if you wanted to use folders.

As I already mentioned you can share appointments through Google Calendar with other devices. I used to do this when my wife still used WP.

I use the Outlook app on Android but not as much as I used to. I find it a bit clunky personally and slightly annoying.

I've come to a simple conclusion. You'll either hate Android or be pleased with trying something different. Whatever you do please take the time to get a good phone. I'm personally not a fan of Samsung but some people like them.

I personally grew to like Android and I prefer the app selection over that of WP. I like the customisation aspects of it and I do play around with my launcher from time to time but I typically like to keep it simple.

All the other MS apps are available on Android as well. Cortana isn't fully out yet but I find Google Now to be great.

MercenaryOne

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the help. I have found that when my brother creates events in the Outlook App in our calendar it shows up on my lock screen and notifies me. But it doesn't vice versa. So, on that note I have a different question. My friend is willing to let me borrow his old LG G something phone.

Would I be able to take my friends old phone that is not on any network, only use wifi and test out the mail apps myself? Or do I need to activate it on a carrier? Also do I need to create a gmail account for this, or can I use my hotmail for it?

EDIT: I had a Samsung Galaxy S1, and I thought that thing was a piece of crap, I switched to WP after that and I have played with my friends S3, Nexus, Razrs, and a few others. When I switched I got HTC 8X and, then I got the HTC M8, and I love their phones, so I will probably get the HTC 10 when I switch.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
^ Highly recommend a Gmail account to keep you MS account separate. You also need one for getting apps on Google Play and it's just easier having it separate in case you decide to ditch Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs