More interested in the Surface Studio or the Dell Canvas?

mdgs

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
The Dell Canvas looks great, and seems to muddy the waters in this new category of Windows Artist PC's.
Which one interests you more?
It's considerably less expensive than the Surface Studio, as long as you already have a Windows 10 PC. And it seems to be what a lot of people around here have been asking for - a pen-monitor that can connect to any Windows 10 PC.

For me, the problem is that when other people in my household want to use the computer, they will just want to use it as a regular computer, not as a drawing tool, and the Canvas will just be in the way. It seems like the Dell Canvas would need to be dedicated for use as an art machine, while the Studio doubles as a normal desktop computer.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
You can have the canvas sitting in a drawer or something and then bring it out when needed

though those bezels make it look weird

mdgs

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
The reason for the comparison is obvious. They are both designed for drawing directly on the screen, though they each take a different approach. It is natural to wonder which approach appeals to more people. Also, on the various forums discussing the Surface Studio, MANY people have been complaining that the Surface Studio should have been designed as a pen-monitor, with no computer inside, as the Dell Canvas has done. I am curious to see if the Dell Canvas satisfies those users.

olyar15

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Again, one is a PC and the other is a peripheral. There is no direct comparison. The Canvas is a competitor to the Wacom Cintiq as well as other similar products, which has existed long before the Studio. That is a fair comparison. Those who want a peripheral already had that option and now has one more option. None of these products are the same or even similar to the Studio.

mdgs

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
No, these systems will naturally draw interest from the same audience, and the two systems will be in competition for customer dollars.

It is proper to bring them up in the same discussion, and to support my argument, here are some links to other sites that are comparing the two systems:
1. The Verge - Dell's Canvas is like a Surface Studio without the PC
2. Windows Central - Dell's Canvas display lets you get a Surface Studio without buying a whole new computer
3. The Tech Report - Dell Canvas draws a bead on the Surface Studio
4. WindowsLatest.com - Dell’s Canvas is a Surface Studio without the PC
5. CNet.com - With its own custom dial controller, this feels like a cross between a Cintiq tablet and Microsoft's Surface Studio.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think most people who think of the Canvas and the Studio as competitors aren't professional artists. I find the articles comparing the two are mainly done becauae the Surface Studio has name recognition, so will get more clicks than comparing it to a Cintiq.

surfacefanboi

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
I will wait for the surface studio performance version, so the display is powered by a decent GPU.........As for the Dell, that underpowered screen resolution was a mistake, they could have out foxed MS by going for a big resolution screen that worked well with a beefy PC & GPU attached.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm very interested in it. I'm thinking of setting it on my desk in between my big 4k screen and me. My existing keyboard is on a tray that would slide out of the way underneath it. So, I wouldn't always use it as a touch screen, but it would effectively replace my desk surface with another display and also give me a touchscreen or drawing surface on my desktop. That is just awesome.

Personally, I think this is fantastic and maybe an even more useful application of touch (with respect to productivity, not entertainment) than a tablet.

mdgs

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
It is 7 months later, and the Dell Canvas is ready for shipping beginning on 8/22 !!
I decided to pass on the Surface Studio and go with the Dell Canvas. The price difference is a big reason, but I also like that the Dell Canvas uses Wacom pen technology, which seems more refined than the NTrig that Microsoft adopted. The weakness of the Surface Studio pen is that very light strokes of the pen don't register well. The final reason is that it won't go out of date so quickly because there's no computer inside. The Surface Studio has a better screen, for sure, but the Canvas is still HD, the same resolution as the Wacom Cintiq's, so I know it will be good enough.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I like the Studio, but I would get the canvas if I was buying one. The reason for it is that the Studio is running 6th generation laptop hardware, I could build a more powerful desktop to use with the canvas. In a few years when the Studio becomes to underpowered, or I feel the need for an upgrade the entire thing gets replaced, while with the Canvas I would probably just upgrade the desktop.

I view the canvas as the better long term investment.

mdgs

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered my Dell Canvas :excited: Arrives next week.
My decision was based on these factors:

What I like:
It's a big drawing surface - one of the first things that drew me to the Surface Studio.
It's more than $1000 cheaper than the Studio.
I like that it uses Wacom pen technology over the N-Trig that Microsoft uses.
I like the bezels to rest your hand or arm on.
No processor inside, so the technology won't become obsolete as quickly.
A 3-Year warranty! The Studio only has 1-year (Wacom Cintiq gives 2-years in the U.S.)
Only $85 more for 3 years of Accidental Damage Coverage - like for liquid spills.
I like the idea of the Dial, and I think it will be about as good as the Surface Dial.
The Canvas lays flat. I prefer working on a flat surface, rather than upright or angled.

My only concerns:
I haven't seen one in person, and I hope that the screen is bright and vivid.
I have to run it off a Surface Pro 4, because that is my only non-Apple computer.

mdgs

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
I now own a Dell Canvas
Got my Dell Canvas a few weeks ago and it seems quite perfect to me.

The Screen
The screen is very bright and vivid. The resolution is very good, but not super high. I wouldn't mind having a higher resolution, but it doesn't really need it. Everything looks great on this screen.

The Pen and Digitizer
The pen and surface is responsive, without lag and practically no parallax. I own a 21-inch Wacom Cintiq and a Cintiq Companion, and I feel that the pen behavior matches those devices, but has better Parallax. Sensitivity seems very good, detecting very light strokes and rendering them very lightly. I'm glad of this, because this was a problem with the pen/digitizer on my Surface Pro 4, which doesn't pick up light strokes.