Moving from MacBook Pro to Windows hardware / Laptop

cityghostBC

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
Hey all!

So I found Windows central this week after one of the WC team was a guest on the IGN podcast Unlocked. I have been a longtime passionate Xbox / microsoft fan for gaming - however, ever since I started photo /video back in college I have used mac.

I am becoming ever more frustrated with Apple and have decided that I want to fully migrate to the windows eco system for many reasons.

However, I am at a loss as to what windows laptop or desktop will best suit my needs for photo and video editing through the Adobe suite.

Would someone be able to point me in the direction of the windows laptop range that would best suit the transition for a macbook pro user who spends most of their time on a computer using lightroom, photoshop and prem pro?
Will there be new laptop / desktop launches any time in the next 6 months that I should hold out for?
I guess my only fear is switching on my new windows pc and being bombarded with third party rubbish and bloatware that you dont get on mac, and is my only memory of using windows laptops as a kid - so presumably i would want to avoid third party windows laptops too, and go direct to Microsoft for the hardware?

I would also like to take advantage of gamepass on windows too for when i am out and about - so this will also factor in.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
However, I am at a loss as to what windows laptop or desktop will best suit my needs for photo and video editing through the Adobe suite.

Would someone be able to point me in the direction of the windows laptop range that would best suit the transition for a macbook pro user who spends most of their time on a computer using lightroom, photoshop and prem pro?
Will there be new laptop / desktop launches any time in the next 6 months that I should hold out for?
I guess my only fear is switching on my new windows pc and being bombarded with third party rubbish and bloatware that you dont get on mac, and is my only memory of using windows laptops as a kid - so presumably i would want to avoid third party windows laptops too, and go direct to Microsoft for the hardware?
, Hi cityghostBC , what seems most important is that you need a laptop with a good display (mainly high sRGB / AdobeRGB). That generally means skipping budget and midrange laptops and looking at 'highend' Windows laptops (though often cheaper than Macbooks). This also helps with avoiding annoying bloatware. Another important factor is whether you want touchscreen / pen support or not. Since especially pen support can be helpfull for art work.

Here is a quick list of laptops you can think of with some pros/cons (note that new Intel or Amd cpu's laptops are arriving within a few months so something to keep in mind):

- Surfaces (or Microsoft) laptops are almost bloatware free I believe and all listed Surface devices here have good- displays, keyboards, touchpads and pen support. There is the cheaper but good performing Surface Laptop 4 where especially the AMD model is good and a Surface Laptop 5 supposedly will be released next year (probably around March). There is the just released Surface Pro 8 which is great if you want to draw a lot with the pen and has a high refresh screen but might be uncomfortable if you are looking for a laptop form factor. Than there is the also new Surface Laptop Studio which is like a heavier Surface Laptop with an unique hinge which is nice for drawing, very good speakers but also more expensive.

- HP Spectre x360 14": relatively cheap, low weight, nice keyboard / touchpad, nice screen for art, good ports, pen support, does have some bloatware.

- Dell XPS: you can choose between regular model that is quite powerfull or the 2-1 model which is thinner and has pen support. Generally expensive but good hardware.

- ASUS ROG Flow X13: is slighly gaming looking laptop but is thin, powerful (you can even game on this to a degree) and has pen support.

There are also business laptops like the Thinkpad Yoga that are more expensive but allow you to repair/replace parts easier yourself. There are of course many more devices but I did not want to confuse you. Feel free to ask any questions about them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12