MOZO replaceable back cover Cyan Blue - First impressions

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Update: March 2016

After about 5 weeks of using the case it started to crack on the bottom right corner, without being dropped or knocked. As of today, all 4 corners have cracks running from the front to back, with the front of the casing chipping off around the cracks. It looks like I've thrown the handset on the floor multiple times, when in reality it's been well taken care of. Also, the soft touch casing has been slowly turning brown.

Disappointing results for a case that's only two months old, and well cared for. I'm changing my previous recommendation to an AVOID.

I received my MOZO polycarbonate cover for my Lumia 550 today. I bought the Blue colour, which is similar to the Cyan Blue used for various Lumia covers, although the intensity of the colour on the MOZO is slightly muted in comparison.

I have used both the Black and White variants of the 550. The original covers are OK, they do the job, but both have their issues. The Black cover offers slightly better grip as it is matte, but it is a fingerprint magnet (shiny greasy marks), which make it look awful after only one day of use. The White cover looks nicer and feels nicer in the hand, but it offers poor grip, especially in colder weather where it's like a bar of soap.

The MOZO immediately looks and feels much nicer than the original covers. It has a soft-touch coating that is reminiscent of the HTC 8S and 8X, which gives better grip, and there are no shiny marks after a days use. The plastic just feels so much more premium than the cheap stuff that Nokia/Microsoft have been using at the low end since the 630.

The actual design of the case mimics the originals inside and out. The clip and foam placements and sizes are all the same, but the plastic is not as flexible as the original cases (it feels slightly less like it's about to snap in half). Obviously the Microsoft logo is replaced by a MOZO logo, which is a bit of a shame for an officially licensed case, I wouldn't have minded a shiny 4 square Microsoft logo in addition to the MOZO logo. The volume and power buttons are slightly more raised on the MOZO case.

Overall, I think that MOZO have done a great job for a cheap replacement case. Microsoft should take note and consider using these materials in their own cases for future models.IMG_9899.JPGIMG_9900.JPGIMG_9901.JPGIMG_9902.JPGIMG_9903.JPG

Last edited:

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It looks too bland I. My opinion. If they were to incorporate the windows logo or something then I would totally buy it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I got it from an ebay store in the UK for ?9.95 (although I had 50% off, so it only cost ?5).

Sorry that the quote isn't related to my question, but I need to ask it anyway. I have noticed that with the 550, ringing or playing sound from it (from like a video) can sound lower when placed on cloth or paper. With the Mozo back cover, do you still have the same experience like that, or did it improve it a little bit?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry that the quote isn't related to my question, but I need to ask it anyway. I have noticed that with the 550, ringing or playing sound from it (from like a video) can sound lower when placed on cloth or paper. With the Mozo back cover, do you still have the same experience like that, or did it improve it a little bit?

No its using the same flawed design as the original cover, so placing on its back muffles the sound.

This surprised me mainly because later versions of the black Lumia 640 (which features the same basic design) had added a nub to lift the speaker up from the surface.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Also bought the mozo cyan blue cover. Makes the phone feel more solid and really like the soft touch grip. Don't feel any creaking with the new case on.

PimpBot5001

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Does the Mozo cover protect the camera lens any better than the stock cover? (By "protect", I mean is the lens more recessed with the mozo cover on).

I've never understood why phone camera lenses tend to be flush with the back of the phone. Aren't camera lenses everywhere getting scratched when people set their phone on a surface that isn't completely spotless?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the Mozo cover protect the camera lens any better than the stock cover? (By "protect", I mean is the lens more recessed with the mozo cover on).

I've never understood why phone camera lenses tend to be flush with the back of the phone. Aren't camera lenses everywhere getting scratched when people set their phone on a surface that isn't completely spotless?

No, there is no extra protection.

However, the camera on the 550 is slightly raised, not completely flush. This means that it doesn't rest on the lens when placed on a flat surface.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Also bought the MOZO cyan blue cover. Makes the phone feel more solid and really like the soft touch grip. Don't feel any creaking with the new case on.

well, my MOZO case turned out to be a dud. It broke off a piece in the corner and was cracking. It seemed kind if brittle to begin with. I didn't drop the phone either. Maybe it was just a bad one I don't know. Guess I'll just use the black back it came with.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
well, my MOZO case turned out to be a dud. It broke off a piece in the corner and was cracking. It seemed kind if brittle to begin with. I didn't drop the phone either. Maybe it was just a bad one I don't know. Guess I'll just use the black back it came with.

The same has happened to mine. All of a sudden it's started to break apart. It looks like they are faulty by design.

jglen_TNA

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Turns out MOZO are fully aware of the 550 cases having issues. However, they've decided to do **** buggery all about it and leave a stock that is not fir for purpose on sale.
I only found out when mine started to crack at the top corners and went back to the eBay seller. Even he's surprised MOZO aren't doing anything about it and was happy to refund me as he knew MOZO are only going to replace his stock with more faulty stock.
This is a massive as the case feels so much nicer and looks brilliant. Its also a shame because MOZO are supposed to be doing good things for Microsoft and Windows Mobile. Maybe Daniel or Rich could reach out for further info?
Originally posted by chancooluk
Update: March 2016

After about 5 weeks of using the case it started to crack on the bottom right corner, without being dropped or knocked. As of today, all 4 corners have cracks running from the front to back, with the front of the casing chipping off around the cracks. It looks like I've thrown the handset on the floor multiple times, when in reality it's been well taken care of. Also, the soft touch casing has been slowly turning brown.

Disappointing results for a case that's only two months old, and well cared for. I'm changing my previous recommendation to an AVOID.

I received my MOZO polycarbonate cover for my Lumia 550 today. I bought the Blue colour, which is similar to the Cyan Blue used for various Lumia covers, although the intensity of the colour on the MOZO is slightly muted in comparison.

I have used both the Black and White variants of the 550. The original covers are OK, they do the job, but both have their issues. The Black cover offers slightly better grip as it is matte, but it is a fingerprint magnet (shiny greasy marks), which make it look awful after only one day of use. The White cover looks nicer and feels nicer in the hand, but it offers poor grip, especially in colder weather where it's like a bar of soap.

The MOZO immediately looks and feels much nicer than the original covers. It has a soft-touch coating that is reminiscent of the HTC 8S and 8X, which gives better grip, and there are no shiny marks after a days use. The plastic just feels so much more premium than the cheap stuff that Nokia/Microsoft have been using at the low end since the 630.

The actual design of the case mimics the originals inside and out. The clip and foam placements and sizes are all the same, but the plastic is not as flexible as the original cases (it feels slightly less like it's about to snap in half). Obviously the Microsoft logo is replaced by a MOZO logo, which is a bit of a shame for an officially licensed case, I wouldn't have minded a shiny 4 square Microsoft logo in addition to the MOZO logo. The volume and power buttons are slightly more raised on the MOZO case.

Overall, I think that MOZO have done a great job for a cheap replacement case. Microsoft should take note and consider using these materials in their own cases for future models.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes it is a shame MOZO cases are faulty because that blue case felt as premium as the polycarbonate on the Nokia Lumia 635 I gave to a friend. Nice and sturdy.
Hope MOZO addresses these serious issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786