MS acquisition of Nokia threads

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've closed a bunch of these and linked to this one, since it looked like the first.

I imagine you'll probably see more of these overnight and in the morning, as folks from Europe will be getting the news while most of us in US are sleeping.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It seems much very quite in the forums in terms of thread burst. I hope the threads have moved to "trending" by the time everyone else gets the news so that new threads dont kick about.

What are we doing with those Amber threads? Even though there is official thread in each phone forum, there seems to be an urge to create one when a specific carrier gets an update! I've closed on average one thread a day in Lumia 920.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't me. But on the good side. Ammarmalik is not happy about the sale. He might finally make the post that sends him on a permanent vacation.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving that thread. Even the dude from front page is here. It's going to be epic if couple of more articles from front page induce more dialogues. However, what do we all think about this acquisition?

ProNokia? ProSoft?
I'm happy about the acquisition. I think it'll speed up innovation and solidify Microsoft in the smartphone market. I think it'll help our site grow too.

Unfortunately, I think the casualties are BlackBerry and CrackBerry. BlackBerry and CrackBerry will go the way of Palm and webOSNation.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Would anyone be upset if I moved the sticky back to General MS?

I will be upset and you owe me a pint. I have to again change my bookmark link on browser damn it! :(

I'm happy about the acquisition. I think it'll speed up innovation and solidify Microsoft in the smartphone market. I think it'll help our site grow too.

Unfortunately, I think the casualties are BlackBerry and CrackBerry. BlackBerry and CrackBerry will go the way of Palm and webOSNation.

From business point of view I am all excited and all in but every time I think of Nokia, a company who invented smartphones is going to be wiped off the map in next 2 years, I feel sad. But again, they shouldn't have sat on their asses and do nothing good. This shows how volatile this industry is really. If you keep the lid open, you will come back to an empty glass.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Would anyone be upset if I moved the sticky back to General MS?

Works for me.

I'm loving that thread. Even the dude from front page is here. It's going to be epic if couple of more articles from front page induce more dialogues. However, what do we all think about this acquisition?

ProNokia? ProSoft?

I like the sale. I think it bodes well for Windows Phone over all. But then I am an unabashed Microsoft homer.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm cool with the deal, I think it would help WP in the long run and boost volume and availability of devices such as the 1020 because MS has the money to do so.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

It could be argued that BlackBerry needed their own "burning platform" memo. Every other major manufacturer started their reformation early. Microsoft ditched Windows Mobile 6 because, despite being loaded with features, it wasn't a OS for the future. Check out this walkthrough from 2009. It was slow, laggy and pretty ugly by today's standards. Microsoft realized that wasn't the platform that was going to run the latest and greatest apps. And let's not forget that eventual kernel rewrite necessary to unify WM and Windows 8. From a technical standpoint, WM just wasn't ready. Then Nokia watched as Symbian became stagnate. A problem compounded by developing Maemo, Meebo and feature phones. Never mind trying to do the cloud, music, movies, apps, enterprise and the OS(s). Nokia was drowning in development. Both companies looked at what they had and made a hard decision.

RIM (as they were back then) failed to realize that part of their popularity came from being the de facto "premium" smartphone brand. Enterprise used it for security reasons but consumers used it because there weren't any viable alternatives aside from WM. Then the iPhone and Android came along, totally flipping the script. Consumers finally had a "large screen," full touch device with apps like they've never seen before. WM and BlackBerry simply weren't ready to compete. Microsoft did the hard thing and ditched WM. RIM stuck with BB7 too long and took forever getting QNX/BB10 to the market. If you thought WP7 was late to the party, BB10 came right after the bartender said "last call." RIM relied too heavily on their brand name, expecting mass market consumers to weather the storm. RIM needed to recognize that BB7 was burning but just held on to the dream too long. RIM isn't dead and will be here for years to come, but may only exist as a niche for product businesses.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler