My 1520 screen is going nuts

aschettler

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I had to swap out my 1520 twice for this same issue. Because the device is so large yet thin, the screen tends to flex over time, causing the device to misbehave.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Alas on day nine (actually the evening of day 8) w the Fosmon case, started having the same problems (again): touch NOT working, Cortana searched by itself, screen flickering, etc. which persisted till this morning.

Solution was to reboot & remove the case (naked red Lumia 1520) which has resolved the issue(s). I intend to remove the case @ nite (while charging overnite) & put it back on in the morning - as the cumulative effects (tight case / screen flex) appear to take several days to affect the phone. fingers crossed

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
After much experimentation ...

I was using a generic hard case on the phone vs. a Fosmon case & the issues eventually re-surfaced. The screen appeared to be hyper sensitive - sometimes I simply hovered over a screen item & registered a touch. Cortana would fire randomely (like Hey Cortana, ready for speech input). Touch would be unresponsive, fixed by locking & unlocking. I uninstalled Glance Background early on in the process, tried show picture OFF & ON in Lock Screen. I uninstalled Gestures Beta as that might have caused the problem. I was using the device naked & still having problems.

Finally, my issues appear to be caused by Start Perfect (an app), which I used to add transparent blanks to the screen. I hovered over one of the blanks & the screen freaked. Next time, I clicked on one of the blanks & a black screen appeared, then freaked, when I closed it (used the X). I've removed the blanks (spacers) & all appears to be normal for the last 5 days w the Fosmon case (did I mention I like that case). Really want this to work, don't want to warranty repair it (c/b sent back w NTF) & don't want to be without the phone for a couple of weeks. BUT, it's still under warranty - clock's ticking, though.

Fingers crossed

Rasahi

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Getting the same problem and is getting worst everyday with my Lumia 1520.

Last night I have removed the protective screen but it didn't help. And today morning I did remove the protective case but still facing the same problem. Not sure what to do next. Sometimes I can't even accept a call till I press the power button off and on again.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I am currently going through these issues with my L1520.

Phantom screen touches. Screen is inoperable. Touch doesn't work. Have to soft-reset every so often to use the device. It got to be too much to deal with this past Saturday, that I did a total Hard Reset to the device, and didn't restore using a back-up; to see if that would help eliminate any issues.

Well, 5 days later, and the issue has resurfaced again. Instead of resetting again, I've taken some advice from here, and just removed the protective case. We'll see if that helps at all.

I, unfortunately, am out of warranty with this device. I went to file an insurance claim, but the can't replace it with the same device. They offered me a HTC One running Android as a fair exchange replacement. I told them no thank you.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My screen issues became so bad with my AT&T 1520 that I shelved it. I've never used a screen protector on it. I've used a variety of cases with it...snap-ons, thin ones, thick bumper style, leather flip cases, etc. The issue never went away. Soft and hard resets...just temporary fixes. Recently, I bought another, brand new AT&T 1520. I've had it since February. The same issues have appeared on this phone as well, but they only occur maybe once or twice a month...and not nearly as bad.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So, I removed the case 2 days ago, and just this morning, the issues started to happen again. Getting very frustrated here. Chatting with AT&T to see if they can be of any assistance.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I finally sent my phone to Palco for repair - I've had it back for a month & a half ...

Like a NU phone, NO phantom touch, NO tap for swipe!
They replaced the digitizer/LCD assembly, cost $219, roundtrip of 8 days.

I expect to get more in resale (ultimately) with proof of LCD replacement to remediate this issue.
I tried everything to remediate the issues, with NO luck, until I had it repaired.

BTW - vibra motor is attached to LCD, possibly turning that off will eliminate some of the issues. Double tap to wake s/b OFF, also.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So... looks like AT&T isn't going to be able to help me. Out of warranty, and the Asurion insurance can't offer me an exact replacement. They've offered me an Android device, to which I declined the service. I need to find out the cheapest option to get a 1520 again. I would love to send it out for repair, but I have no backup device to speak of. :-(

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
So... looks like AT&T isn't going to be able to help me. Out of warranty, and the Asurion insurance can't offer me an exact replacement. They've offered me an Android device, to which I declined the service. I need to find out the cheapest option to get a 1520 again. I would love to send it out for repair, but I have no backup device to speak of. :-(

I picked up a Lumia 635 (@ ~ $50 - AT&T or Walmart) ... for the time my phone was out for repair. It's a low end device, but, it made calls, texted, email, etc until I got my Lumia 1520 back. I simply fit my nano sim (L1520) into the micro sim slot on the L635 (placement is important).

Hit Asurion up for a Lumia 830, if that's the way you want to go, OR ... I'd be looking for my insurance back! OR, negotiate for them to pay for the repair (plus temporary phone ~ $275.) - it is after all insurance.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos