my cursor froze then Windows updates started, when finished my cursor was gone

KatCrown

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
On my Dell computer, after a Windows update, the cursor was gone. It rebooted after updating and its currently locked on my log in security screen. I have a external mouse that will let me put the arrow on the login space, but my keyboard will not work. Without the cursor, I can't do any other suggestions I've received on different sites trying to fix this! It was fine before the upgrade. I'm 65 and not very tech savvy so I need help please!

Still needing an answer, but adding more info now. Got past the login security screen using my external mouse to click on the on-screen keyboard and was about to input my password. Got to the screen showing my icons, but the keyboard still isn't working! Nothing, nada, not a key works! Please help!

Last edited:

Sagnik Pal

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
Try to keep the display on for as long as you can, and let the battery die. Or, you could simply remove the removable battery or power cord (if it's a desktop) to turn it off. Repower it and try turning it on, does this make any difference?

Attaching an external mouse works? Then, you might also want to attach an external keyboard and see if it then works. If the mouse works, then you can also bring up the on-screen keyboard from the ease of access centre from the bottom right of the log-in screen. Sign in to your device and go to Settings > Update and Security > Restoration > Roll back to a previous build. (You must do this within the first 10 days.) Once, you're back to the previous build, see if the keyboard works.

If it still doesn't, you might have a hardware problem. Consider going to a store and tell them about it.

Hope this helps. Comment if you need help. Best of Luck!

KatCrown

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your response! I just tried that and it said its no longer available because my PC was upgraded more than 10 days ago! It wasn't, it was about 3 or 4 nights ago! Now I really don't know what to do! Its an older computer, but was fine until the upgrade a few days ago! I don't want to spend money on it when it's from the upgrade! I have a new computer, but I love this one and its loaded with stuff! I will keep trying! Thanks,

Chris Knopff

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Your recent update to Windows was forced to install different drivers because the internal hardware is deemed not compatible from Dell (more than likely). You'll have to go to Dell's homepage, select Support and search up your model. Likely you'll find a list of software drivers for the computer you have. Likely there is no version for Windows 10. Hopefully the latest Windows OS version will do. Find the keyboard and mouse drivers and you should be okay. Install, reboot, and cross your fingers. If you know the model, we could possibly find the direct download for you.

KatCrown

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Thank You Chris! Since I posted that last night, I went into an Uninstall file and found the update of 6/23/2017 but didn't delete it because I wanted to make sure that I didn't do more harm than good. On the bottom of my Dell Inspiron 3520 is a tag that says S/N 2M7VHW1 and has an EXPRESS SERVICE CODE number 5697047377. Does that help? :)

Chris Knopff

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
You can try the removal of that update but I doubt that is the underlying issue. The link below directs you to input the service code (5697047377). You can try running the scan but it'll probably detect problems with the OS.

www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cadhs1/products/

This is the direct link to the keyboard, mouse and input executable. I don't know if it'll work mind you.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01406605M/1/Input_Driver_7GYYN_WN_8.1200.101.217_A04.EXE

It may or may not help. You'll have to try it out. Doesn't hurt to overwrite the drivers. It will either work or not.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077