My Lumia's sensors are mysteriously working again

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
So, for the past year, my Lumia 730's Ambient Light and proximity sensors were not working. Finally, I decided to take it to Nokia Care (it's still Nokia Care near my place), and the technician opened the phone up, and showed me that the connectors of the light sensor were broken because of dropping it, and it would cost about ₹10,000 to repair it (the phone cost ₹14,000 in 2014!). I told him not to do anything, and brought it back.

When he handed the device back to me, there was 35% charge in the device, which dropped to 5% after I booked an Ola. Wondering what the hell he'd done with the connectors, I put in battery saver, and soft-reset the device once home.

1. The battery jumps from 3 to 42.
  2. The sensors, whose physical connectors are broken, are working perfectly.

I don't know what happened. I don't know what I must do to keep it this way. Any such experiences?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
For the battery, it appears that all it needs is a little "calibration". This is usually done by completely draining the battery (once!) and then charging it back up to 100%. I won't recommend doing this more than once a month, though, since the process will increase battery wear.

For the sensors... are you sure he actually returned your unit? Or could he have connected them during the checkup?

Something similar happened to one of my previous devices, I just can't remember if it was one of my Lumias or my old iPhone 4s. Basically something broke, and The Internet tells me that most probably something needs to be replaced inside. Then one day whatever function that broke started functioning again.

P.S.
Strange things happen: I charged my old O2 XDAII on my hand - the battery level went from 10% to around 20% while just holding it in the web of my fingers mimicking how it would look like if it was docked. I couldn't replicate it, though. I didn't feel "drained" afterwards anyway, but it was an eye opener.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
For the sensors... are you sure he actually returned your unit? Or could he have connected them during the checkup?

He brought the unit to me and showed me a couple of connectors that looked slightly bent (not much of an electronics guy, I must admit), and he said that it won't be reparable.

I guess. It seems to work across devices: finishing the battery off and charging it back up.

Anyway, I'm happy it's working for now. I didn't want to switch phones because there are no good options out there.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's great to know. Just chime in again in case something happens (in this thread, but quote me so I will get notified by your reply).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maritku