My take on the 920 today

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I just posted this in the 830 forum but thought it worth re-posting here too.

Well I've been on quite a journey - bought a 920 in December 2012 after using iOS since the start. I loved it so much I sold my iPhone 5. Since then I have had a Nexus 5, a Lumia 930, an iPhone 6 and an LG G3. What am I using now as my daily driver? The 920! I have replaced the battery housing several times and most recently bought a genuine Nokia red housing which looks simply gorgeous with a red theme and black background. This housing was the first one I have bought which was just a shell - no antennae, camera lens,wifi or nfc antenna. I transferred everything over from one of my other housings.

My heart is with the 920 - all the other phones I have had have been good, I enjoyed using them, but only my head was telling me they were good. It sounds ridiculous but I get such a different feeling using the 920 - a bit like having a car which you love and the feeling you get every time you go out for a drive in it. I even love the size and heft of the 920.

I was out in Birmingham UK last night and the 920 was locking on to 4G almost constantly - my LG G3 and Nexus 5 saw sporadic glimpses of 4G in the same location but mostly show 3G.

My least favourite phone was the iPhone 6. For me I found screen readability sub-par. To my eyes it always looked slightly fuzzy whereas the 920 is in a different league. This is partly down to Microsoft's choice of fonts and that simply beautiful Pureview screen. iOS feels old and dated and is way too simplistic.

I'm now waiting for the next Microsoft flagship . . . long wait I know, lol.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I've been posting some in the 830 forum (others also) about the 920.
I have a 830 and just got a new 920 also about a week ago. Wanted to try the 920, mainly because I saw some youtube videos of the 920 compared to the 1520 and the 920 was faster in a lot of the side by side compares.
I've had the following WP's over the last 4 or 5 months:
-635, just got that because it was cheap and gave me a chance to try the WP's for the first time. I still have it.
- 930 (sent both the 925 and 930 back due to the commonly seen problems, run hot, horrible battery life, purple tint on screen, etc.
- 1020 sent it back, too awkard to use
- 1520 sent it back too akward and some of the commonly seen problems
- 735 set it back a few of the commonly seen problem
- 830. I still have it and, now, it's sitting in a box on the shelf for the last 3 days and I'll probably jsut sell it. The 920 is my daily driver now :)

Anyway the 920 is great. Even though the specs are "less" than the 830, the 920 is faster and better (to me) than the 830 in everything except battery life. Some of the speed increase is probably dues to windows and/or the apps not taking full use of the quad cores of the 830, the faster, dual channel ram that the 920 has (the 830 has slower single channel ram) and the insanely fast refresh rate of the screen.
The 920 is easier to hold (for me), than the 830 even though it's thicker and heavy.
The 920 has the Lumia "smile" with rounded edges and makes it very easy to hold.
I've had no problems at all with the 920. It's camera is faster (the apps at least) and seems even better than the camera in the 830, certainly better low light.
So there it is, I've chosen a 2 year old+ phone as my daily driver. It was a flagship I think when intoduced and, to me, still is.

Fred

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
After using my black 920 (unfortunately I can't get any other color) for over a year, I'm really glad I've spent $400 on it. The screen, the storage (despite having no microSD), the awesome camera, the lack of unsightly labels and wireless charging have really grown on me. Even the thickness and heftiness become something I'm fond of. This should be Windows Phone's greatest device of all time, period.

WinU

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I am using the 920 as well and I love it. I haven't found a good enough replacement yet. Hopefully some day they will come out with something that is close in size and weight but better specs. I personally do not want to go any larger than the 920. It's a phone! I don't want a tablet to carry around, I have that at home. The screen is absolutely beautiful and clear, it's fast and it rarely has any issues. I won't be changing any time soon! Stinks that it won't get the Denim update

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I am using the 920 as well and I love it. I haven't found a good enough replacement yet. Hopefully some day they will come out with something that is close in size and weight but better specs. I personally do not want to go any larger than the 920. It's a phone! I don't want a tablet to carry around, I have that at home. The screen is absolutely beautiful and clear, it's fast and it rarely has any issues. I won't be changing any time soon! Stinks that it won't get the Denim update

You make a very good point, though mine has the LTE band battery issues, its hard to want to get rid of it...Nokia isn't fixing the problem, actually, they sent me a brand new one and a replacement one, so not sure how that helps, but I have two! But either way, the features of it are just so amazing for what I paid for it new in July

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
just bought my second 920 last week. sold the first one to buy a 925, i loved the looks of 925 but... something was missing from the 920. the feel, the weight, the thickness... wierd but true! now i own a 930 and a 920, and i'm in love again with that fat *******! i live in portugal and got an AT&T version from ebay wich seems to have 4g only, but who cares. long live the king 920!! bring the lumia camera and w10 and the king will live forever!! this fat *******(like to call it like that...) still is fast fluid and never surrender! congrats to nokia for making such a great and adorable device, and to MS to put a great OS on it!

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Besides my battery issue on mine, the only thing I can even really nit pick about the phone is, without a case, I keep dropping it because the back is slippery...but I leave the case on 24/7, so it looks brand new :)

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
You know, having an L830 after some "old" Lumias now I'm searching tu buy back a red Lumia 920 and an yellow 1020. They are somehow... soul phones. I feel like L930 and L830 and next Microsoft branding phones are missing something. Heart. Or maybe I'm too nostalgic already.

Last edited:

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely loved my 920. My mother in law has it now though. I wanted something a bit newer, and went with an 830 until the next flagship comes out. I think the 830 is a great device, and I will use it for quite some time, but the feel of the 920 in the hand was just soo comfortable. It will always be one of the best phones I have owned.
I don't regret the decision to go with the 830 though. I love the size of the screen, and the green is BRIGHT!!!

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I love my 920. The size, weight and shape are just about perfect. I have a clear TPU case on it and no screen protector and except the ding on a corner from when I dropped it on cement right after I got it there is hardly a scratch. The battery life could be better, but considering it's over 2 years old and running 8.1 I can't be too upset, p.s. love the wireless charging. It runs anything I throw at it and the screen is crystal clear. I can't wait to put win10 on it. I really am having little problem waiting for a new flagship and have really high expectations. I just hope they don't sacrifice capability for light and thin (let Apple and Samsung play that game).

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to replace my 920, as the battery is getting rubbish, and I constantly get annoyed with the slow focus of the ( otherwise awesome) camera.

I nearly got a 1520, but they went in and out of selling too quick just before my contract ran out. There is nothing else around. Wish Microsoft would get off their bottoms and give me something new.

To be honest, seeing the performance of some of the low end windows tablets, I'm kind of hoping Microsoft go the whole hog, and whack phone hardware into a proper windows 10 machine. People have wanted it forever, and I think it's possible now.

AllanQuatermain

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
still using my Red 920 on Developer preview with no problems and battery life is ok, waiting for a Flagship phone to replace it and the 930 does not appeal to me, so it looks to be a long wait for one to appear, it may be over two years old but still does everything i need and has been very reliable and the build quality is like all Nokia phones excellent, might be time to find a spare one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb