My User is Wiped Out?!

UnfaithfulRobyn

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Less than 20 minutes ago, I tried changing my username and it went downhill.Not the PC name -- because that's already changed, but the the whole C:\User\[Name] thing. I'm not a computer expert, but I googled a bit and found a way.

I typed netplwiz in run and then I changed my user name from there. Then it said I should open registry editor and change my name through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList. I looked for the certain file that contains my current username and changed it into the desired one. Once I did that, the start menu refused to open and said I must log out in an attempt to fix it.

I ignored the message and right-clicked on the start menu and chose restart. Once I restarted, it gave me a message "Preparing Windows" after I typed in my password to log in. It took a couple of minutes, but then everything was wiped out. There's a program like Steam I installed which is still running, so I assume my files are there but in a different user.

Now when I go to This PC --> Windows10_OS (C:) --> Users it shows two folders. One for my old username, and a new one for my current username.

I have no idea what to do. I have so many important files that I don't want to lose!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you've created a new profile with a changed username and Windows wants the sign in for the new profile.

In order to troubleshoot you may have to enable the hidden admin account
Here's how to do that:
How To Enable Hidden Administrator Account In Windows 10

If it doesn't work try restarting into safe mode by holding F8 during boot after the beep on start up and enabling the admin account from there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FegleyArnold