Need help with considering alternate phones

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, I love the Windows Phone OS. I've owned an HTC HD7, Lumia 920 and am currently running a Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1. Over the last year or so, the app gap has finally become painful. There are apps/services I really want to use that are not currently available on Windows Phone. Originally, I was going to wait until Windows 10 Mobile came out to see if that started to turn around. I still might do this, but there's a problem. The battery in my Lumia 1520 is starting to die out. From a full charge, I get less than a day's use out of it with very light usage. The phone is available to upgrade on AT&T right now so I've been thinking of jumping ship. This might be easier if I had a firm release date for the Lumia 950, but at this point, I'm guessing it won't be out until Late November and I don't think I'll be able to wait that long.

In looking at alternate options, it looks like I'm limited to iPhone, Galaxy S6 (some iteration) or LG G4. This is tough because I generally don't like Google as a company so I don't want to support them and I don't like the iPhone as a device. My current problem with the battery in my Lumia 1520 makes me want a phone with a replaceable battery and of the options I listed, only the LG G4 seems to fit the bill, but its (perceived?) limitations compared to the Galaxy S6 make me wary. Are there other phones you would recommend? I also looked into options of replacing the battery in my 1520 and that left me with some concern as 3rd party batteries range from about $25 to $170 in price and I don't want to risk damaging the phone to replacing a dying battery with shoddy battery. I'm open to any suggestions.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Considering the 1520 is already not meeting your needs I would really consider a replacement battery. I dropped $20 on a 920 battery a month or so ago.

You could potentially go older device like the Galaxy S5. But if it were me I'd spring for an iPhone. They also hold their value well relatively speaking. but what are these perceived limitations of the G4? They're both Android, top-of-the-line and fancy.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Another one I'm considering is the Note 5. I know the battery can't be replaced in that, but it just looked and felt like a sweet phone. Still hoping I can get by until the Lumia 950 comes out so I can at least compare it directly. I looked at some battery options and I may go that route. There just doesn't seem to be a valid way to determine which ones are actually good. Just on Amazon, you can find multiple batteries ranging from about $14 to over $100. Most don't have any reviews, but the ones that do are all negative. My current Lumia is getting by for now so I'll hang on to it, but if it gets worse, I may have to make the change.

The problem with iPhone right now is that it looks so boring. Granted, I haven't looked at the new version of their OS much yet so maybe that would be a little more interesting. iOS strictly looks like a platform to launch apps. That's it. Also, because I'm a latest and greatest kind of guy, I'd want to go to the iPhone 6s series and it looks like they are waaaaaaaay back ordered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h