Need some advice / help please.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I miss the old days of gaming too. despite all the new graphics and stuff, I don't find games any more fun today than they were 30 plus years ago. actually in fact, I find modern games to be less fun. still have my 30 year old NES and we still play it. I would go Nintendo if you want to play with someone in the living room. it seems like you are stuck on an Xbox though.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Also, PBM games work as well as they ever did, and locally all you need to do is stick a note up on the fridge. Win!

Ah, the good old simple days...

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I just got a PS4 for Christmas. Quickly found the state of games to be in a terrible place.

If a 2 player game doesn't have local play, I don't buy it.

I have real, human friends that I like seeing and playing video games with.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
I just got a PS4 for Christmas. Quickly found the state of games to be in a terrible place.

If a 2 player game doesn't have local play, I don't buy it.

I have real, human friends that I like seeing and playing video games with.

LOL then you better never buy a XB1. It's far worse when it comes to number of local multiplayer games.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Seems there would be an opportunity here for another company to manufacture a system that would be optimized for a local, same room system. The electronic parts and technology are there, and are not expensive at all, it wouldn't cost much to build, seeing how an Xbox or PS4 probably cost under $100 to build, the problem would definitely be getting game developers to actually make games for such a system.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Seems there would be an opportunity here for another company to manufacture a system that would be optimized for a local, same room system. The electronic parts and technology are there, and are not expensive at all, it wouldn't cost much to build, seeing how an Xbox or PS4 probably cost under $100 to build, the problem would definitely be getting game developers to actually make games for such a system.

This is the issue with the existing systems. All current systems DO have tons of local multiplayer games. 263 out of 820 top-rated games on Xbox One have local multiplayer. If these games don't fit the needs of players looking for local multiplayer, then I have no idea what would - so what games would a potential local-based system have?

And bigger games are near impossible to have split-screen in. A lot of people would rather a larger game, in exchange for loss of split-screen.
Would you prefer a game with a large and interesting world (Skyrim, Fallout, Forza Horizon, Destiny 2, even on PS4 they have their exclusives that fit this description perfectly) or a short, simple game with local co-op? But, the thing is, we already have both.

The issue has absolutely nothing to do with the systems (unless you want local multiplayer in open world games - which is not nearly possible to do without very expensive hardware), it's that people can't find games they like. I'm not sure if the existing games are just not good enough, or what, but the state of local multiplayer is not that different from what it was a decade ago.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
At the end of the day, we are not game developers. We do not know what drives a company to make a game online co-op only.

Perhaps market data suggests that local co-op isn't worth their trouble? Maybe we are a fringe group? The minority. We ARE on a Windows website surrounded by Windows 10 Mobile users/lovers. We are anything but "Mainstream." If the market data doesn't support local co-op, it is understandable that game developers would exclude the feature.

...but still...

Games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles should always be local co-op. $#!+ like that is just an affront to nature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos