New 1020 User

Lasrael

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone! I just bought a 1020 about a month ago. Switching from Android to Windows has been a rough transition for me. I did some research before jumping to a different os to see what exactly I was getting into, but I guess I should have done some more. I am relieved to see a lot of my irks are the same irks everyone else is having and will be addressed in the next update. Overall, I am very happy with the phone. I would imagine in due time a lot of apps I've grown to love on Android will make their way to WP.

I do have some questions about this phone and I used the search feature on these boards to try and find an answer, but haven't found what I am looking for. Maybe you all can help me...

1. Bluetooth -- is there any way to make my phone invisible to others? I really don't like the fact my phone shows up and someone can pair to it. Also, anyone else having an issue with their bluetooth turning on by itself? I suspect it is my car doing it, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

2. Internet Explorer -- My main issue I am having is with interactive bars (i.e. clicking a top/side bar on the page that has a drop-down menu attached to it). The drop-down wont stay down so I can select a link. I've tried holding it down and trying to slide my finger to the link I need. All that happens is I select a piece of text, lol. Coming from a Galaxy Note, I'm a big fan of using desktop versions of pages. Evidently, Internet Explorer on this phone isn't a big fan of desktop pages :) I have the mentioned issue in both mobile and desktop. Any advice on this?

Sorry if any of this has been asked a lot already. I just typed in the search bar and click on any link I thought might be relevant... I didn't exactly dig through every page on every post that showed up on search.

Thanks! :cool::cool:

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
First of all welcome to the community Lasrael, hope you have a great experience with WP.

About Bluetooth, I currently don't see any means to do that .
IE for WP8 is pretty much useless, but 8.1 update will change all that.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to wpcentral forums :smile:
Thrilled to hear you made a switch from android ;).
1.i don't think so there an option to set it to invisible mode , but I can assure you , no one will be able to pair with your phone unless you accept the Bluetooth pairing confirmation pass key. Never heard about such issues.
2.i have same problems , sometimes the typing area on some websites like twitter have some issues , as soon as I try to type in keyboard vanishes (some sort of bug ) but yes windows phone 8.1 includes a much more improved version of internet explorer , ie 11 which can now also save passwords , private browsing , file downloading and uploading support , reading mode. Microsoft nailed windows phone 8.1 :smile:

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Heh well as I have heard mixed opinions on it, I'm curious to hear new ones from new users :) trying atm to decide whetever to go after 930 or 1020. The 1020 has only 450mah smaller battery, but is more battery conservative with only dual core and lower resolution and screen.

L?hetetty minun GT-I9100 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
a good comparison for Battery would be the Lumia icon as it's pretty much the same phone as the 930.

just doing a quick search of that shows the 929/930 has an extra 2 days standby...which is never completely true, but shows that the bigger battery helps out even just a little.:)

Lasrael

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
As far as the battery goes -- way better than my Galaxy Note. I am able to go a full day on it. I wake up at 3:45am for work and by 9-10pm I usually have 30-60% battery. I also wait until my phone is just about to die before I put it on a charger. Maybe it's true or maybe I am just paranoid, but I always heard the life of your battery diminishes if you charge it frequently when it don't need to

sban85

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have had my lumia 1020 since august 2013 and I get about 16 hours with heavy email (6 accts), texts, light music, BT during drives, news/finance/sports apps checking. If i am ultraconservative in use, i easily hit 21-22 hours battery life. I usually charge every night, hasnt been an issue, sometimes i have let it fall to 8% before charging but i dont do that often. most modern electronics have charge protection built in, you cannot overcharge your phone.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have had my lumia 1020 since august 2013 and I get about 16 hours with heavy email (6 accts), texts, light music, BT during drives, news/finance/sports apps checking. If i am ultraconservative in use, i easily hit 21-22 hours battery life. I usually charge every night, hasnt been an issue, sometimes i have let it fall to 8% before charging but i dont do that often. most modern electronics have charge protection built in, you cannot overcharge your phone.

That's been my experience as well. I have to wonder if there isn't something a little different about phones that were manufactured later in the cycle versus those within the first few months of launch day. Reason being that I've heard so many battery horror stories and most of them usually start with the 1020 coming out of the box completely dead. Mine, on the other hand, came out of the box with about an 80% charge and already updated to the Lumia Black. Just curious if there might not be a slight variation in how they were manufactured and/or configured because although my battery hasn't been stellar, it hasn't been as abysmal as some have experienced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire