new 1520

giraffe81

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Got my 1520 a couple of days ago. Overall impression, wow i love it. Screen is amazing! Came from an iphone 4 so big upgrade.

My biggest fear was that it was going to be too big, but it fits fine in my suit trouser pockets so all is good. Tighter in jeans, fits but when taking phone out of pocket i get worried about dropping it.

used to be an ios developer, but now I don't do that anymore i was free to choose any platform. Android was not an option, I dislike it for various reasons and liked live tiles so thought I would take the plunge. As a developer i look forward to making my first windows phone app.

I have a few gripes, mostly with WP not the hardware, hopefully you guys can help me out.

firstly why is it not capitalising my 'I' in this post automatically :|

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes not every app optimizes full compatibility with the keyboard. Sorry about that. What are your other gripes? I'm glad you like the phone though!

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Think my biggest deals are the volume settings and the music player, I mean you play a song and change the volume using the side rocker, but as you do so you also change the ringer volume, so if you listen to a song at low volume you need to remember to turn it back up or you will not hear your phone ring (really hope this is not so? such a silly thing....way round it or setting?) on android you can set different volumes for anything and they stay set.
This is maybe a case of different music player but I cannot skip to a part in a song, you have to hold down the fast forward (if a better player what is it?)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Think my biggest deals are the volume settings and the music player, I mean you play a song and change the volume using the side rocker, but as you do so you also change the ringer volume, so if you listen to a song at low volume you need to remember to turn it back up or you will not hear your phone ring (really hope this is not so? such a silly thing....way round it or setting?) on android you can set different volumes for anything and they stay set.
This is maybe a case of different music player but I cannot skip to a part in a song, you have to hold down the fast forward (if a better player what is it?)
I have sort of got used to the volume thing lol

Though on aandroid sometimes got annoyed with TOO MUCH options as like you said it gave you the option to choose volume levels for everything. As long as windows phone just splits the volume from the call volume I will be happy

I use the stop the music app to negate this.

I also hate that you can't skip to the song part you want without fast forwarding but like the volume I to have gotten used to that lol.

giraffe81

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, my post submitted before I had finished writing it and I was on the train after too many Christmas drinks :)

Interesting you said about not all apps are customised for the keyboard, I did notice that it behaves differently. Someone suggested autocorrecting the i to an I so it learns it, I will give this a go.

So to continue my list of gripes.

I don't like the way the network/battery indicator doesn't always display at the top. I know you can tap to show it. But I noticed some apps that are full screen don't seem to allow you to display it.

Also have a problem with contacts in the people hub, duplicates. But after a little Googling I see you can link contacts so hopefully this should dove that problem.

Google mail doesn't work with push notifications :cry: I know this was something Google removed so have to forward emails to an outlook account, no biggy I guess.

On the phone, any have a wobbly sim card tray. Don't think its going to fall out but it's just a little lose. I also find keep pushing the buttons with my palm. I think they could have moved the volume buttons and lock button higher up on the phone.

So actually most of my issues I think are solvable which is great. The main problem that I have at the moment is adding music. I have a mac and don't like iTunes, I was really hoping I could just drag and drop music on to the phone. But no joy.

Also found out I have a 32GB version :smile: When I ordered it it said nothing about the space so assumed 16GB. I am in the UK so also have the wireless charging built in.

Overall a good purchase, still getting used to the "woah, what is that!" comments from friends when I pull it out of my pocket. Kids corner is great, can now give the phone to my kids without worry that they call someone I really don't want to talk to!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
1. I don't have the contact issue so I cant help with the people hub but glad you figured it out somewhat :)

2. I have push gmail. But you have to choose the option OUTLOOK instead of gmail when you go to set up the account After hitting the option to set up a outlook account, type your google email address in and then follow these directions

What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email

that is how I get my Gmail pushed to my phone. It is nearly instant and the live tile will just consider it an outlook account instead of gmail.

Yep you have the better version haha. I have the gimped 16 GB American version with no wireless charging :p though I don't care about wireless charging but I wish there was more memory so I didn't have to worry about making sure I don't install too many apps. I am trying to keep at least 6 GB storage space remaining.

The sim card is a bit wobbly but I barely notice it unless I touch it.
Sorry, my post submitted before I had finished writing it and I was on the train after too many Christmas drinks :)

Interesting you said about not all apps are customised for the keyboard, I did notice that it behaves differently. Someone suggested autocorrecting the i to an I so it learns it, I will give this a go.

So to continue my list of gripes.

I don't like the way the network/battery indicator doesn't always display at the top. I know you can tap to show it. But I noticed some apps that are full screen don't seem to allow you to display it.

Also have a problem with contacts in the people hub, duplicates. But after a little Googling I see you can link contacts so hopefully this should dove that problem.

Google mail doesn't work with push notifications :cry: I know this was something Google removed so have to forward emails to an outlook account, no biggy I guess.

On the phone, any have a wobbly sim card tray. Don't think its going to fall out but it's just a little lose. I also find keep pushing the buttons with my palm. I think they could have moved the volume buttons and lock button higher up on the phone.

So actually most of my issues I think are solvable which is great. The main problem that I have at the moment is adding music. I have a mac and don't like iTunes, I was really hoping I could just drag and drop music on to the phone. But no joy.

Also found out I have a 32GB version :smile: When I ordered it it said nothing about the space so assumed 16GB. I am in the UK so also have the wireless charging built in.

Overall a good purchase, still getting used to the "woah, what is that!" comments from friends when I pull it out of my pocket. Kids corner is great, can now give the phone to my kids without worry that they call someone I really don't want to talk to!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99