New Dash Owner

returnofsid

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,
As the title indicates, I'm a new Dash owner. I've been with T Mobile for several years but this is my first Smartphone and I have several questions. But first, a little background. I recently had a Nokia 5300 express music phone and loved it. However, it had a warranty issue recently and was replaced with a Nokia 5310 express music phone which I hated...lol. So I purchased a Dash. Now to my questions....

#1 TMobile's website gives two different ROM versions that are supposed to tell me if I have WM5 or WM6. My ROM version is different than both.
If I go to Start>Settings>More>More>About, I show that I have Windows Mobile6 Standard. CE OS 5.2.1236. If I choose More again and go to System Info, I have ROM version 1.22.531.6. I'm told this MIGHT be an upgraded ROM version for WM6 or that it might be WM 6.1. Can't seem to get a straight answer from TMobile.

#2 Shortly after getting the Nokia 5300, I had it SIM unlocked by T Mobile and then I unbranded it. I did this in order to be able to install 3rd party software such as Opera Mini and Google Maps. When I SIM unlocked it, did I unlock the SIM card or unlock the phone to enable it to use different SIMs? I only ask because I'm using the same SIM card.

#3 With the 2 Nokia phones, I was able to do things that I'm very surprised I'm unable to do with the Dash. For instance...

Use my music as ring tones while keeping the music on my Micro SD Card.
Cut/Copy and Paste from my contacts or text messages.
End 3rd party software just by pressing the End Call button.
Use photos as caller ID while photos were kept on SD Card (finally figured this one out)

The main one of the above I'd like to do is use music as Ring Tones or Caller ID tones while still keeping my songs on my Micro SD Card. I have over a gig of music and really don't want to take up the Device memory with all that music. Any suggestions? I would also really like to be able to Cut and Paste!!

#4 I've been reading a lot about this phone and unlocking more of it's capabilities. I believe I've successfully App Unlocked it using SurrealNetworksAppUnlock. However, I'm not sure I did it correctly. I did follow all the instructions but is there anyway to verify if it's actually been App Unlocked?

#5 I read a lot about Today Screens and Today Screen Add Ons. I would like to have a little more flexibility from my Home Screen. Any free Today Screens and Add Ons to be suggested?

#6 I've been reading and reading on all kinds of forums and websites every since receiving the Dash (3 days ago) trying to find out as much information as I can about it. I want to learn as much about this phone to be able to use it to the best of it's ability...and mine...lol. I read lots about changing the registry and such to change how the phone functions. I've installed TCMP Core and Total Commander 2.51. To start with, there's several things I'd like to change. First and for most being the damned Volume Touch Strip!!!! I've read where it can be changed to a scroll strip. The next thing I'd like to get rid of is the annoying beep that sounds every time the phone goes into Power Saver Mode. I'd also like to get rid of the beep that sounds every time I make a call from Contacts. I read where there are hacks and such to make these changes. However, I'm not finding anywhere that details how to go about making these changes.

#7 I'm also still a little uncertain about how to add software. I see vague directions all over the web about this but nothing detailed. Maybe I'll get that here. I have Windows Mobile Device Center installed on my laptop if that helps. I'd like suggestions on what types of software to add and other changes that can be made to the Dash to be able to use it to it's full potential and make it more user friendly.

Thanks in advance for all your advice and help. I apologize for this being such a long and drawn out post!!

Sincerely,
Michael

lilcallaway

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,
As the title indicates, I'm a new Dash owner. I've been with T Mobile for several years but this is my first Smartphone and I have several questions. But first, a little background. I recently had a Nokia 5300 express music phone and loved it. However, it had a warranty issue recently and was replaced with a Nokia 5310 express music phone which I hated...lol. So I purchased a Dash. Now to my questions....

#1 TMobile's website gives two different ROM versions that are supposed to tell me if I have WM5 or WM6. My ROM version is different than both.
If I go to Start>Settings>More>More>About, I show that I have Windows Mobile6 Standard. CE OS 5.2.1236. If I choose More again and go to System Info, I have ROM version 1.22.531.6. I'm told this MIGHT be an upgraded ROM version for WM6 or that it might be WM 6.1. Can't seem to get a straight answer from TMobile.

Do a search and get a custom rom. Just about anything will be better than what you have or what TMo says you should have...Believe me

#2 Shortly after getting the Nokia 5300, I had it SIM unlocked by T Mobile and then I unbranded it. I did this in order to be able to install 3rd party software such as Opera Mini and Google Maps. When I SIM unlocked it, did I unlock the SIM card or unlock the phone to enable it to use different SIMs? I only ask because I'm using the same SIM card.
If you truly SimUnlocked it, you unlocked the phone

#3 With the 2 Nokia phones, I was able to do things that I'm very surprised I'm unable to do with the Dash. For instance...

Use my music as ring tones while keeping the music on my Micro SD Card.
Cut/Copy and Paste from my contacts or text messages.
End 3rd party software just by pressing the End Call button.
Use photos as caller ID while photos were kept on SD Card (finally figured this one out)

The main one of the above I'd like to do is use music as Ring Tones or Caller ID tones while still keeping my songs on my Micro SD Card. I have over a gig of music and really don't want to take up the Device memory with all that music. Any suggestions? I would also really like to be able to Cut and Paste!!
You can do that with the dash. You can also record anything-from your voice, to tv, to radio, and use it as a ringtone for all calls or as a custom tone for a contact

#4 I've been reading a lot about this phone and unlocking more of it's capabilities. I believe I've successfully App Unlocked it using SurrealNetworksAppUnlock. However, I'm not sure I did it correctly. I did follow all the instructions but is there anyway to verify if it's actually been App Unlocked?
You can verify it by trying to load an app

#5 I read a lot about Today Screens and Today Screen Add Ons. I would like to have a little more flexibility from my Home Screen. Any free Today Screens and Add Ons to be suggested?

Kavana's...he has two I believe...very nice

#6 I've been reading and reading on all kinds of forums and websites every since receiving the Dash (3 days ago) trying to find out as much information as I can about it. I want to learn as much about this phone to be able to use it to the best of it's ability...and mine...lol. I read lots about changing the registry and such to change how the phone functions. I've installed TCMP Core and Total Commander 2.51. To start with, there's several things I'd like to change. First and for most being the damned Volume Touch Strip!!!! I've read where it can be changed to a scroll strip. The next thing I'd like to get rid of is the annoying beep that sounds every time the phone goes into Power Saver Mode. I'd also like to get rid of the beep that sounds every time I make a call from Contacts. I read where there are hacks and such to make these changes. However, I'm not finding anywhere that details how to go about making these changes.
Do a search....if you found surrealnetworks, you should find two others that are just as good

#7 I'm also still a little uncertain about how to add software. I see vague directions all over the web about this but nothing detailed. Maybe I'll get that here. I have Windows Mobile Device Center installed on my laptop if that helps. I'd like suggestions on what types of software to add and other changes that can be made to the Dash to be able to use it to it's full potential and make it more user friendly.

See answer on post #6

Thanks in advance for all your advice and help. I apologize for this being such a long and drawn out post!!

Sincerely,
Michael
Once you find the MAIN Dash site, you'll be up all nite for a week adding crap to your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melvas66