Nexus 4 vs Nokia Lumia 920?

technostein

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, am completely new to windows phone, and only ever had a flick around with them in store. I am very curious of the 920, due to the new windows 8 and awesome camera (so I have heard). I currently have a new nexus 4, I will admit I love android, but I am very curious of the Lumia. If someone could give me more info on the pros and cons of the 920 over the Nexus 4 that would be great! And I will appreciate it if someone could answer the following questions:

Is the camera better than the iPhone 5?

How does it actually feel in the hand?

is the keyboard any good?

how is IE?? Thanks!

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
About the keyboard I can say there is no swype keyboard or gesture typing as in jelly bean 4.2. That's a pretty big negative for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5 camera is way better during daylight.
Keyboard is not the best.
ie is ok as long as you keep Bing as default search engine.
Feels good and solid in hand
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
1. Is the camera better than the iPhone 5?

2. How does it actually feel in the hand?

3. is the keyboard any good?

4. how is IE?? Thanks!

1. I would say so. Daylight pictures could be better, though I wouldn't say the iPhone 5 WAY outperforms it, but there is a software update supposedly coming anyway. The issue lies in the sharpness of the photos in general. Night shots are the best of any device I have seen by far.

2. It's a bit wide, but that is to be expected. If the N4 doesn't bother you, neither will this. You may notice a weight difference when you first pick it up, or maybe not. It's not something you will likely notice after a while, unless you frequently hop between devices.

3. I think it is fine. There is one annoying issue though: on some words it realizes they are misspelled, underlines them in read, suggests the word you meant to type, but doesn;t auto fix it. It does autofix moth words. So this has me baffled. I asked in the forums but didn't get a really good response. Also, as has been mentioned, no third party keybaords. That's not a big deal to me, so I am not bothered.

4. I think it's great, though tabs are lacking (you can only have six), and there is no quick/intuitive way to load a new one. It is, however, very fast. Loads thing as fast, or faster, than anything else I have ever seen. I have gotten into the habit of loading desktop sites because it is that good. Another drawback of IE is that even though there are tabs, when you switch between them, you are ALWAYS reloading the tab. It doesn't seem to cache the page in memory... ever.

technostein

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Oh I was hoping Camera would easily out do the iPhone, even though it has a amazing camera, what about video recording? Aslong as the internet is smooth I don't mind, How would you compare the Facebook app between the two? (Android,IOS vs Windows phone 8)

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh I was hoping Camera would easily out do the iPhone, even though it has a amazing camera, what about video recording? Aslong as the internet is smooth I don't mind, How would you compare the Facebook app between the two? (Android,IOS vs Windows phone 8)

I have no doubt the software fix for the camera is going to make daytime shots better. They aren't BAD by any means. Anyone who says that is, well, let's respect their opinion and leave it at that. :)

Video recording is better on this phone than any other phone. Blows the iPhone out of the park. Not even on the same league. Seriously.

WP8 has by FAR the worst Facebook app of any of the big three OS's. I find the Facebook integration much better than any other OS, though. Most everything I need to do, I do with the people in people hub logged into FB.

technostein

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow, so many pros(camera, video,live tiles,smoothness), yet so many cons(not a blow away camera I thought it was made to be. bad facebook app, Nokia will end up abandoning windows phone devices and go to Android if all else fails, so I heard). This is definatlely a very hard choice for me ! Thank you for all your help, any more info would be great though!

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Video recording the Lumia wins hands down.
Facebook is the worst of the bunch. Even the blackberry version is better.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokia will end up abandoning windows phone devices and go to Android if all else fails, so I heard.
While there is no way I can rule this out obviously, there is also no indication of it that I am aware of. Where did you hear this? The way I see it, of Nokia is interested in Android they can go ahead and develope for it. It's not like every other WP manufacturer doesn't already! ;)

To be fair, daylight cams in phones have gotten about as good as they can get without actual physical lenses and bulk being added to phones. The daylight camera really isn;t bad. I suggest you hop into a store and try it out. I have seen some HORRIBLE pics online that just don't do the camera justice. Some of the super blurry shots I have seen I would have to have a seizure immediately before snapping the pics to reproduce. Ok, well, exaggeration there, but you catch my drift.

technostein

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
It was a Rumour on gsmarena.com once, Just before windows 8 was announced. a Nokia employee said it. But yeah true! And I guess thay maybe because windows phone will always have haters. I have noticed, windows phone and android users seem to "get along", you can't say that about IOS users, well MOST of them. I guess it is because there the current Underdogs. Here in UK, if you have a iPhone, your like suddenly superior, pathetic. I needed to complain haha!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt that Nokia is abandoning WP.

The only people spreading rumors like that are ones that don't understand why Nokia is exclusive to WP in the first place.

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is the camera better than the iPhone 5? Never really used IP5, but night shots are amazing! Was really impressed!

How does it actually feel in the hand? Perfectly fine! Once you start using it you, forget about the weight.

is the keyboard any good? This is my 3rd day with the phone, and i can say im actually getting alot better at typing! The space bar is a little small, but you get used to it!

how is IE?? Thanks - Havent done alot of browsing, but so far pretty good! scrolling, zoom in/out is pretty fast!

Im coming from a Galaxy nexus!

I agree what the users above have said, the facebook app is pretty terrible!

technostein

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I am not saying they are, windows phone 8 may just work out for them, it seems to be doing. But it is possible, if they got desperate they would, wouldn't you agree? If sales were bad?

technostein

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I saw that video, was very suprised, but this was low light, wonder how it would of done in good lightening conditions. reviewers and a person on here say worse.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I am not saying they are, windows phone 8 may just work out for them, it seems to be doing. But it is possible, if they got desperate they would, wouldn't you agree? If sales were bad?

The transition from Symbian to WP is taking a while and has cost a lot of time, resources, and money. No matter how bad WP does, Nokia cannot afford to make another transition.

The funny thing is, the only real way they could make a transition from WP to Android completely is if WP did so well that it gave them the stability for such a move.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I saw that video, was very suprised, but this was low light, wonder how it would of done in good lightening conditions. reviewers and a person on here say worse.

Well Nokia I think had acknowledged the issue and says a software fix is on the way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss