Night Shift for Windows 10 Mobile?

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know of a solution like Apple just announced with "Night Shift"? This is such a needed feature! The brightness controls in W10M are soooooo lacking!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope, you may be able to change the color temperature to warm on some/most Lumia's (color profile) but that's about it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
is the auto brightness not good enough?

I have an iphone for work (a 950 for personal) and i tried night shift for roughly 10 seconds.... it's not for me. the contrast change drives me nuts.... i am VERY happy that it's not on by default. I am a huge fan of color accuracy, and all night shift does is break that.

Yes, bright blues supposedly make it harder to sleep, but the reduction of the color/change in contrast is infuriating. I am perfect fine with the brightness at 25% at 3 am

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really hope they implement this missing feature soonish.

I wouldn't hold my breath for them to implement any feature "soonish"

is the auto brightness not good enough?

I have an iphone for work (a 950 for personal) and i tried night shift for roughly 10 seconds.... it's not for me. the contrast change drives me nuts.... i am VERY happy that it's not on by default. I am a huge fan of color accuracy, and all night shift does is break that.

Yes, bright blues supposedly make it harder to sleep, but the reduction of the color/change in contrast is infuriating. I am perfect fine with the brightness at 25% at 3 am

Yea, but on the contrary, it can be blinding unless it warms up. It's a great thing to have.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I have used the app "Night Browser" and "reading mode" in Edge browser, but both leave A LOT to be desired. I had Android phones 6 years ago that had better brightness options than W10M has today. This feature or something like it really needs to be addressed.

I don't see any options that help in any of the color profile settings. I have put the brightness to 0% and still find it WAY too bright at night. Again, "Night Browser" dims much more (down to an acceptable level), but the actual browser sucks and is practically un-usable.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This is what I do at night.

Go to Settings > extras> color profile
select advanced.
Set the bar all the way to warm. Set the colour all the way to purple. And lower brightness to 0%.

Now blue light will be minimal. You can even look at white text and it has an orange tint to it. It's the orange tint that filters the blue light. You can even get orange tinted glasses and it will filter it. Studies show it reduces melatonin supression. I have put feedback in to allow to save advanced profiles so you can quickly flip to them in the action center. But really that's all it is.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Or someone can make a display app(there's one in android called bluelight filter for eye care. Im hoping someone makes one or MS incorporates a setting very soon. Will be fantastic.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Or someone can make a display app(there's one in android called bluelight filter for eye care. Im hoping someone makes one or MS incorporates a setting very soon. Will be fantastic.

unlike Android, but like iOS, apps in Windows Phone can't draw things over others, like a bluelight filter over everything or Facebook chat heads for example.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Z8JLsgokUI

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I am using the official released of Win10M on the 1520.3 but I don't see this "color profile". Any advice of how to make it appear? Thanks.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I find it hilarious that Apple has finally implemented a feature I had on my jailbroken iPhone three years ago.

At least they didn't steal this one from the incompetent MS marketing department like they did living images and force touch.

evdel

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Well something like flexbright will do the job. It's available for windows so waiting for a UWP.

But..
The night shift and that kind of tools is not what experts expected.
Night Shift has also come under attack from none other than Ray Soneira, president of DisplayMate ? a site which has become the industry benchmark for testing the displays of electronic devices and is often cited by manufacturers in their marketing materials. Soneira dismisses the implementation of Night Shift in iOS 9.3 saying it does little to no good. He argues:

?Night Shift, which turns down the amount of blue light produced by the display, won?t significantly affect the production of melatonin enough to influence the circadian rhythm and improve the user?s nighttime sleep cycle. I?ve looked into this before and it?s more of a placebo effect.? [..]
?This is an effect that I have been following for many years. I am not a sleep researcher, but I am a theoretical physicist with extensive knowledge of the displays, light spectra, and human color vision. It is clear that many sleep researchers do not have a very good understanding of displays, light spectra, or human color vision, so many of their conclusions regarding displays are simply not correct.?

Jopl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The phone... even at 0% brightness is still very bright at night, especially when compared to my wifes Iphone (not in any special night mode setting). It is bright enough to light up half of the room. I wish they would do something like this Night mode as well.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
The phone... even at 0% brightness is still very bright at night, especially when compared to my wifes Iphone (not in any special night mode setting). It is bright enough to light up half of the room. I wish they would do something like this Night mode as well.

Yes! This is the problem. I could care less about melatonin, I just don't want to light up the room at 3AM to wake up my wife. All I want is for the brightness slider to really go to zero, i.e. Black screen. Again, my 6 year old Android could do this, and it works ok using "Night browser", I just with it was better implemented in W10M.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^ Display brightness is same on Wp8.1 and Wp10M on the lowest setting. I wish they could bring it down through software but what if it's dependent on the display panel..? Even ip 6s can bring it all the way down, i hear even the new android flagships can lower to minimum nits which display can work with.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
On all windows 8/10 devices, 0% means totally auto brightness controlled by system, so if you want the lowest brightness, turn the brightness to 5-10% instead, it would be lower than 0%setting. This also applied to surface tablets and my Asus vivotab too.

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Brightness 0 and toggle auto on/off. See which is lower.
Having auto on could mean lower than with it off at night and higher in daylight. Play with it and see which is lower, with auto-brightness on or off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254