No Edge after Lumia 640XL reset

Richard-L-King

Jan 24, 2019
Visit site
I reset my Nokia 640XL running Windows 10 Mobile 1709 (Build 10.0.15254.369) a few days ago, and after going through the setup, it turns out that Edge hasn't been installed.

Without Edge, the phone is all but useless. The only thing that works is Outlook. Nearly everything else depends on a Microsoft account, and it won't let me login (whenever it needs a Microsoft Account login, I just get a blank screen - presumably because this depends on Edge, and it ain't there!).

I went through the reset twice, with the same outcome.

If anyone can throw any light on this, I'd be grateful - I really want to keep this phone going until Microsoft prise it entirely from my grip - but perhaps they already have?....

smartblu

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
Almost the same on my L930 with 1709. After an hard reset, all XAP apps no longer work... Weird because I tested the hard reset on my 930 just after the upgrade to 1709 (spoofing a 950). It worked perfectly a this time ! I suspect the last fixes are not suitable for NON supported device for 1709 (such as 640, 830, 930...). Fortunately Windows Phone Internal saved me. I had done a Backup of the partitions before the hard reset.... If you dont have such backup, i'm wondering what you should do... Reinstalling W8.1 with WDRT and upgrading to w10 ? Does the Upgrade Advisor Tool of MS still work ? Is OTC able to handle such upgrade ? I got a copy of the Upgrade Advisor tool of MS but i'm afraid it's uneffective today...

Richard-L-King

Jan 24, 2019
Visit site
@T Moore

Thanks very much for that. The Device Recovery Tool worked a treat, and has taken me back to Windows Phone 8.1.

I then ran the Upgrade Advisor, and it's currently in the process of downloading Windows 10 Mobile.

Let's hope that will get me back to where I was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb