No wonder why Windows Phone can't barely grab marketshare

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Market the OS better.

And I just don't buy that most people go into a store and buy something just because a sales person tells them to or there is more of the product in the store than any other. We live in the internet age where there is no excuse for not knowing what's out there. So my take is that people just buy the s@@t they want to buy.

Seriously? Go stand in an AT&T store and just watch the sales people push people to Iphone or Android. Most average people don't care, they just want a phone. They won't research because they see a list of stats a lot of them don't understand or care about. The biggest way to get people into another ecosystem is to have friends or family that use it, who can show tem what the phone can do for them.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Market the OS better.

And I just don't buy that most people go into a store and buy something just because a sales person tells them to or there is more of the product in the store than any other. We live in the internet age where there is no excuse for not knowing what's out there. So my take is that people just buy the s@@t they want to buy.

You'd think so but you couldn't be any more wrong. Go to any local phone carrier store, phone browse, and listen to the customers' conversation. They don't know s***. Then you'll hear an occasional "oh that is the phone from the commercial". The only phone that is instantly recognized is iPhone and even then they don't now everything it can do

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Which is lovely, but deeply flawed.

Read the windows phone suggestions thingy, and about 90% of it, is people requesting stuff that already works on iOS and Android, but they can't do on WP.

What's the windows phone suggestions thingy?

I'll just venture a guess and assume it's something on Microsoft's website or somewhere else where people are submitting suggestions of what they would like to see on Windows Phone.

Whatever it is, I think it's important to realize anything like that is not an accurate representation of what most people think. The kind of people who post suggestions on something like this are people who already have Windows Phones, or are phone geeks of one form or another. I think you're making the same mistake many of us do, in assuming that the opinions of phone geeks carry more weight than the 90% of customers who are NOT phone geeks, or that they represent what most people think. Both are incorrect assumptions.

With that said, I think it's a given that WP8 will have more features and many of them will be features the other OS's already had, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Android will always be cheaper, and more functional than WP, so they are completely the wrong target. Not to mention that Android people don't like to spend money.

That doesn't follow. You seem to have missed the entire point of my argument. Windows Phone can compete at most of price points Android does. Microsoft has already made a point of this. Android is growing marketshare very quickly. iOS is not. iOS will always be limited by price and by the fact that Apple only produces their one model of phone.

That said, many iPhone users are fiercely loyal. So you have a much larger audience of Android users, many of whom have had negative or neutral experiences, who are already exposed to lots of different brands and aren't particularly loyal... versus a group of people who have always used ONE model of phone that has only had small incremental changes over the years to both OS and hardware. iPhone users are extremely familiar with iOS which always looks and acts the same as it always has since the beginning and using phones that have barely changed and the vast majority of them are happy with it.

Tell me again which audience will be easier to convert.

What Microsoft need to do, is go after the iPhone crowd. Make WP8 match iOS feature for feature (which is a lot more plausible than matching Android), highlight the speed, style, and cost benefits of WP8.

No, you're missing the point once again. It's not about bullet points of features. There are 1000 Android phones out already that match the iPhone feature for feature and then some. Why aren't iPhone users leaving in droves to buy those? Why would WP8 be any different?

iPhone users stay loyal because they are comfortable with what is familiar and because the iPhone is a good product that they trust and know how it works. If you think showing them some wacky looking phone with colored tiles that looks nothing like their iPhone and telling them how it matches their iPhone feature for feature is a good marketing strategy, then you just aren't getting it.

Speed? WP is no faster than the iPhone. Style? That's relative, people who like iOS might like the tiles, they might not. They are very polarizing honestly. Cost benefits? That is a weak point to market on, especially with iPhone users who generally aren't that concerned with price. Besides, they have iPhones at every price point. They can get a 3GS as cheap or cheaper then the cheapest Windows Phones. Do you think they care if the Windows Phone has 343.1 more mhz in the processor? They don't.

Once done, the people who want an iPhone, but settle for an Android because they can't afford one, will start considering a WP8 too.

WP8 is already likely to match iOS feature for feature anyway, but again you're making the mistake of thinking that most people shop for a smartphone with a checklist of features they want. They don't. Most people choose the phone based upon either what they already have (if they like it) or based upon what looks cool. They have a handful of features they want, and that's it. "Can I play angry birds? Does it have Facebook? Hows the Camera? Can I watch Netflix?"

People who want an iPhone, want an iPhone and they will get an iPhone because they can go all the way down to a 3GS if they have to.

If they aren't sure what they want, then they wind up with an Android. THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU TARGET. There's a lot more of them, and they are undecided.

The majority of Android buyers don't get Androids because they thing Android is awesome. They get them because they think it is the ONLY other choice. They either can't get an iPhone because of the carrier they are on or the price perhaps (though that is much less of a factor now) or they may not want an iPhone because they think they are pass?, or they may want a bigger screen. Regardless of the reason, THOSE people are much easier to win over than someone who knows what they want (most iPhone buyers).

I don't mean to be rude, but it's very simple. You either understand this fundamental marketing 101 stuff, or you don't.

As a left field suggestion, why not work on app licensing, to make sure you buy an app once, and your entitled to the phone, tablet, xbox, and PC versions of it.

Therefore making it easier for people to migrate, because as they are buying apps on one platform, they also get the phone version free, so as they go to update their phone, its easier to migrate to WP8, because they already own a huge library of content for it.

This is actually a great idea and would be far more effective than targeting iPhone customers. It's also an excellent way to retain customers after they invest in Windows Phone, which is really just as important for the long term viability of an ecosystem.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You'd think so but you couldn't be any more wrong. Go to any local phone carrier store, phone browse, and listen to the customers' conversation. They don't know s***. Then you'll hear an occasional "oh that is the phone from the commercial". The only phone that is instantly recognized is iPhone and even then they don't now everything it can do

Exactly.

Almost no normal person I know who is not a phone geek even knew there was such a thing as Windows Phone and they don't care.

But every single one of them recognized my cyan Lumia 900 when I bought it and most had a positive impression of it. They knew next to nothing about it, but they had all been bombarded by some slick advertising and the fact that the phone doesn't look like any other phone on the market now. It made an impression on them.

That is how you get noticed. I know a girl who went an bought a Lumia 710 and the whole reason for it is because of my phone. It had nothing to do with Windows Phone OS or it's merits, at least not in the beginning. She didn't care. I didn't evangelize her either. What happened was, she needed a new phone and was ready to replace her feature phone with what would be her first smartphone. She noticed me using my phone and was interested in it because of the unusual appearance alone at first. I handed it to her and let her play with it for a while. THEN she decided she "liked the squares" and started asking questions.

The PHONE is what sells everything. She's one more Windows Phone user on the roster because of the PHONE and she didn't even wind up buying the same model.

The bottom line is, Windows Phone needs more killer hardware. Cool looking phones like the L900 that will make people stop and say "Hey....what is THAT?" out of an ocean of black slabs that all rook same.

Here is how the phone landscape looks to the untrained eye right now:

*iPhone* *boring Android* *boring Android* *boring Android* *boring Android* *boring Android* *gigantic 5.3" Android* *boring Android* *boring WP that looks just like an Android* *boring Android* *Bright Blue phone I saw on TV what IS that??? *boring Android* *boring Android* *Blackberry LULZ*

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So Microsoft and Nokia tried to get the AT&T sales people to push WP into people's hands. and they sold 600,000 Lumia 900s. If Apple only sells 600,000 iphone 5s on it's first day, the share price will drop like crazy.

Here's what I've noticed. When my iphone/android using friends see my Lumia 800 and the OS itself, their response is usually "maybe I should get a windows phone when my contract is up", to which I usually reply "didn't you buy a lot of apps?"
Some say it doesn't matter, the OS looks cooler and faster to them.

This is demonstrated very well by Ben "The PC Guy" Rudolph videos (the new ones in particular) where he shows why it's so much faster to do common tasks with WP7.
If they could translate that to an ad campaign, that might help.

A big problem with selling WP is that you can't really see how great it is in the store, you have to sign in with your accounts to see the power of the live tiles and social features.
The Behind The Tiles events were also pretty good, even if most participants already had older windows phones.
If you did that in a store (have the user sign in on a demo phone and show them the OS for 5 minutes, then do a Reset of the phone so none of their info remains on it) they might understand

For now, it looks like Microsoft is going with the idea that Win8 with the metro UI will familiarize users with all the great features that windows phone brings (live tiles and the metro UI). After using Win8 for a while, when they walk into a store to look for s smartphone, WP8 will seem natural to them as the phone they should get.
Pricing Win8 upgrades at 40$ and the marketing push that's going to be behind it, will guarantee they sell a lot of those upgrades/new devices.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's not hard getting people to switch. Out of the many and many Android users out there how many do you think of them use a Windows PC and a Xbox 360?

The ecosystem will sell Windows Phone I have faith in the platform not so much in the marketing department :(

The same way iPhone Windows PC users aren't running to buy a Mac to use with their phone, I wouldn't bet on Windows PC/XB360 owners running to buy a Windows Phone to use with their PC or game system.

Especially with DropBox/Drive/etc. all having integration in Windows and apps for almost every platform. It's Microsoft that has to bring their services to other mobile platforms, not the users flocking to Windows Phone to get at them... Most users would rather switch services than phone OSes after they have invested into a specific platform.

Ecosystems do sell, but it's an extremely hard sell when someone is already deeply invested in another platform.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
What about Microsoft dropping support for Exchange on Android and iPhone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Then any iPhone or Android user who currently uses Windows Live would switch to iCloud or Google Services permanently because no one like POP3 or IMAP email/contacts/calendar when PUSH is available and those services are native to the platforms anyways (and they almost definitely have an iCloud/Google account already).

That would also likely come with the side effect that those users switch their default search engines from Bing to Google (if even have Bing set) and likely uninstall some other Microsoft Apps as they would migrate to equivalents elsewhere. Don't be surprised if they start shunning WLM in favor of SMS as well, as even having Windows Live Essentials installed on a PC becomes a bit baffling in that situation...

Never mind the lawsuits that would pop up from that. I don't think they want to go there.

I'm pretty sure maybe half (if not solidly more so) of the Windows Phone owners even on this very forum had to switch back to Hotmail (or at worse create a new account) when they got a Windows Phone, cause they used something completely different - only switching back because of the convenience of it all :p Unless they were previously XB360 owners, of course.

Every time I switch platforms, I completely switch the services I use as a default because having convenience goes a long way with me :p I don't see a need to waste battery on ActiveSync just for Hotmail, when I can easily switch everything to Gmail/iCloud and have my phone last an extra hour+ during the day.

Microsoft will never do it. It would cause too many problems for them both on the services side as well as in the courtroom. ActiveSync is licensed, as well. They make quite a bit of cash from licensing ActiveSync. Microsoft is a business. Their shareholders would almost undoubtedly object to this.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
A big problem with selling WP is that you can't really see how great it is in the store, you have to sign in with your accounts to see the power of the live tiles and social features.
The Behind The Tiles events were also pretty good, even if most participants already had older windows phones.
If you did that in a store (have the user sign in on a demo phone and show them the OS for 5 minutes, then do a Reset of the phone so none of their info remains on it) they might understand

That's no different from Android. That's what the whole "Accounts and Sync" section in Settings is for. Most Android phones ship with Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn integration and "People Hubs" like FriendStream or Social Hub. Nevermind Google has integrated their own services into Android a bit tighter than Microsoft has (and more extensively). All Android phones from major OEMs ship with Cloud-Connected Office Apps, as well. The two platforms are pretty much on parity there, with Android having a major advantage in that it is much easier for developers to integrate their services into that platform.

That's the main problem WP7 has always faced. While people were saying "Look what I can do" the Android crowd simply said "I can do it to, what's new about that... It looks pretty?" It has really no killer features, but it is (at least at the moment) still missing many a lot of people have grown accustomed to (you never realize to what extent, until it's not there). What it did have was a fresher UI metaphor, but by now it's getting hard to sell it solely on that especially since Android's UI has been virtually overhauled for phones in ICS and performance is on a par between the two these days.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Most Android phones ship with Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn integration and "People Hubs" like FriendStream or Social Hub.

Technically correct, but all of those are hideously designed crap compared with WP's much more elegant solution. Not much of a selling point on any of them. I know a lot of people with Android phones and not one of them uses one of those anymore than they need to and they all use separate apps for Facebook and the rest.

Nevermind Google has integrated their own services into Android a bit tighter than Microsoft has (and more extensively).

Could be true, I don't know enough about this to disagree. I can tell you that Gmail and the search engine are the only Google services I care about. Youtube I guess, if you count that as a service. Google Docs sucks though.

All Android phones from major OEMs ship with Cloud-Connected Office Apps, as well.

True, but I haven't seen any yet I like as much as the real thing and none of them have the Office name and really seamless Microsoft Office integration, OneNote etc. The Office brand still carries some cache you know. With business people, not Microsoft-hating GoogleGeeks of course.

That's the main problem WP7 has always faced. While people were saying "Look what I can do" the Android crowd simply said "I can do it to, what's new about that... It looks pretty?"

That's the main problem WP7 faced with Android power users, yes. There's a large percentage of the population out there however who do place equal or greater value on how elegantly the interface is designed and how easy it is to use as they do on how many file formats it works with or whether or not 28 different options appear on a drop-down menu when you want to "share" something. A lot of people just don't give a crap about that.

It has really no killer features, but it is (at least at the moment) still missing many a lot of people have grown accustomed to (you never realize to what extent, until it's not there).

That's true about the missing features. Hopefully WP8 will address that though, and unlike Jellybean, it will actually ship on every phone simultaneously, while the Android world still has new phones with 4 different versions of the OS on the shelf at the same time.

What it did have was a fresher UI metaphor, but by now it's getting hard to sell it solely on that especially since Android's UI has been virtually overhauled for phones in ICS and performance is on a par between the two these days.

Not so fast. ICS jitters and lags almost as bad as Gingerbread did. It's a little prettier, but still a field of icons that looks like a cheap knockoff of iOS and all the apps still vary wildly all over the map in style, appears and UI behavior because Google was so loose with the guidelines and rules and THAT isn't going to change for a long time if ever.

Jellybean is supposed to be the panacea for the jitter and lag with the miraculous "project butter" we'll see, could be true, but seeing as only 7% of phones even have ICS yet, Jellybean isn't particularly relevant when almost nothing has it yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria