Noise in Earphones

lesfalangie

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
when music or video is playing, the noise is gone.
IT IS NOT. It just gets blended in with other sounds. There shouldn't be any white/noise coming in through the headphone's audio jack. This audio issue, which was ignored by MS, ruins experience for audiophiles who use their tablets with earbuds/headphones on.
Usually, it's because of improper assembly of internal parts of a computer device, a headphone's audio jack may lie too close to a motherboard, hence the motherboard might interfere with the audio channel and cause this permanent static noise: static noise.

Vitamin93

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I contacted the microsoft chat support (very friendly guys over there :D) and they told me that it is a hardware defect and they will exchange it. i will again update this post when i get the new device and if its fixed...

I recently got my surface pro 2 and am experiencing a similar issue. I hear a very noticeable hissing static noise when i plug in my in-ear headphones. It is not noticeable with my laptop or phone. I can still clearly hear it while other sounds are playing such as from a video.

Seems like there is a mixed response in this thread, where some users have this issue while others don't. Is this really a hardware defect? I don't want to go through the trouble of exchanging my device to receive another one that also has this issue.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That's the thing. it depends.
If it's loud static, then it's defect.
If it's a small hissing, than that's the onboard sound solution, and there is no fix, until manufactures uses dedicated sound card.

OnBoard sound chip:
asus_sound.jpg

The above is essentially the entire thing that processes and output the sound.

Dedicated sound card:
Asus-Xonar-Essence-STX-0.jpg

View of a dedicated sound card without the Electromagnetic shielding plate
nocover.jpg

As you can see, a dedicated sound card has a lot more components, and of much higher quality to process, convert from digital to analogue, and amplify the sound.
Many of them has even, dedicated power, like the one above, which is used to get a nice clean power and ground from your power supply, and use a common ground. In addition, the analogue area of the sound card is shielded against interference that occurs inside your system, and wireless devices.

If you want good, clear, lively, vivid, crisp sound, that is what you need.
Else you get what you get with the Surface Pro, or any other consumer computer with onboard sound solution: flat, mundane, lack of any med-range signal, staticky, can't drive any high impedance headphone, and prone to hear interference with the system.

You don't need 300$ headphones to enjoy the sound of a dedicated sound card. You should hear a noticeable difference (assuming your music is in high quality) with 30-50$ headphones.
Of course, the dedicated sound card above is a bit far fetch, but it's just to give an example of what is available on the market as internal sound card. You can imagine lower end card with less fancy component and no electromagnetic shielding plate.

As long as the consumer is content with onboard solution, don't expect any change. The reason why manufacture uses onboard sound card, is because they are 1-2$
If you look at Amazon.com, you can find them at <5$, and those are with USB adapter, and of course have to assume some profit. So having just the chip... yup, cheap.

The dedicated sound card above is around 200$. But they are decent ones at 50-70$ which still massacre onboard sound solutions.

Vitamin93

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply MBytes, I really appreciate your detailed explanation.

From your explanation I understand I shouldn't expect high quality sound from the onboard sound solution of my SP2. I tried using the same earphones with my laptop and phone again. On the laptop I hear the same hissing static noise, its just extremely quiet and not noticeable. On my phone (Galaxy S2) it's a bit louder, but easy to ignore. On my SP2 however, it's difficult to ignore to the point that it bothers me.

I think in my case, though such noise is expected for an onboard solution, is more extreme. How is it with your SP2? What I'm wondering is how it turned out for the OP with his new exchanged SP2.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I hear hissing. But it is about the same as my laptop. I don't have a smartphone to try and compare. My laptop onboard sound is from IDT.
The sound quality is however, superior on my SP2. Not that it means anything... because the sound that my laptop comes out through any headphone I plug to it, sounds like the music is being played in a metal barrel. And no it's not faulty... I pass through 3 of them. A friend of mine had got the same laptop as me, and he was happy with the sound... however, when I hear it from his own headphones on his system, I hear the same of what I hear l mine. So I guess it depends on your standards.

You could try at the store the headphone. Bring a music file on you in a USB key.. however, I guess you'll have or come in a time where the store is quiet, and I know its hard in a big retail store.
If it really bugs you, well replace your system. But if you are out of the return period, and you don't have a Microsoft store close by, then I think it will be a bad move, as you'll most likely get a refurbished. Shame for a new unit. if you want, I guess you can plug your SP2 on your best PC you have line in jack (or mic if no choice, but be sure to not have the mic boost on, as this will make things worst), and record a segment in high quality mp3, and be sure it sounds the same level as the surface pro 2, and send that to me. I
ll play it on my desktop, which has a dedicated sound card, ans I can compare. It's not great solution, as my volume level could make my test less or worse than you actually have. But if its anything drastic, it should be noticeable I think.

Vitamin93

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I think first, like you suggest, it would be best for me to drop by some retailers tomorrow with my earphones. Even if the surroundings are loud I'm certain I would hear the static if the display models have the same level of severity as mine does. I bought the SP2 two days ago, so in the worst case an exchange for a new unit wouldn't be hard right? Not familiar with Microsoft's exchange policy. I bought mine through the Microsoft online store by the way, and live in Canada if that matters.

Again thanks for all the help Mbytes! I'll update on how the testing goes.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Canada W00t!

Microsoft does not not an exchange program. I am in Canada, and I asked 2 times for the two Surface Pro's I had to return.
You'll have to call and say that you would like to return your device because it's faulty. Then they'll e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label (can take 24-48h to get the prepaid shipping label, because it's UPS that will send it to you, not Microsoft). You'll have to box the device as you received it, and use the same shipping box you got your Surface Pro 2 box in. If not you threw away the box, then inform Microsoft, because I don't know.

Once all boxed up, ship it, and it will take several business day before Microsoft gets it, and approves the return. Once returned approval, they'll pay you back, and depending on your bank, it will take a day or two before you see the amount back to your credit card.

The above is the process for returning the Surface Pro 2 and get a refund. So it's up to you when you want to place another order for the Surface Pro 2. I placed my order as soon as it was in stock, to not miss the opportunity.

If you have a Microsoft Store that you can get to, I would go there for an easy exchange, else you have to do, as above, a return, and order a new one. Microsoft pays the return so don't worry about that.

The better news in doing a return/re-order, is that the 30 day period that you get to return the device, is reset, so you get to enjoy a full 30 days to test the Surface Pro 2, and be able to return if anything. So there is an upside to it.

Cho Kyu Hyun

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
same with me.....idk how to repair...it ...they say ur laptop......and ur update driver.......error/ not compatible......error in....program and software.....that u have install...in ur computer.....may lead to this....sound....2 option.......reformat ur laptop....or chg ur sound card.....usually laptop ....1/2 year old....always like this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124