NOKIA ICON simultaneous data and voice on Verizon network?

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Well don't know if it's true or even the source but I came across this:

"Every LTE phone can do this on every network, except the iPhone's."

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been able to do it on my NL822, 928, and my mom's BB10. I think that the above statement is true. The only phone I've not been able to do voice and data on at the same time is my wife's former iphone 4s.

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there's zero reason it wouldn't support this feature. They intentionally gimped the iPhone so it wouldn't (so AT&T could keep advertising that as an exclusive feature I guess) but otherwise all of their LTE phones can do it.

Marcin_S

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the info on this matter. I didn't realize that this limitation was only limited to iPhones ? Now I have more reasons to ditch my iPhone and go for ICON :)

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup, HTC 8X does this fine. I believe its a feature of the Qualcomm chipset, and I believe the iPhone's CDMA radio has some limitations that prevent it and it is not doing calls over LTE yet. I could be wrong on that though, its been a while since I looked into the whys of the iPhone's inability to do this.

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
if you are in a LTE coverage, then you should be able to simultaneously talk/data. If you are in a 3g coverage area, then I think you are limited to one or the other.... Does this sound correct?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just a little more evidence to the pile, last year when the 928 was delayed, one of the Verizon insiders here posted that it was due to problems with SVLTE, Simultaneous Voice and LTE. So it sounds to me like Verizon wants this to be a feature, and given that, as the others have said, I don't see any reason that SVLTE wouldn't work on Icon.

if you are in a LTE coverage, then you should be able to simultaneously talk/data. If you are in a 3g coverage area, then I think you are limited to one or the other.... Does this sound correct?
This is correct.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Correct. However, you should have LTE in most metro areas with Verizon. I miss Verizon's coverage after switching to AT&T.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Some phones on Verizon were able to do voice and data on 3G, but I don't think any of the newer ones can unless on 4g. The HTC Rezound and Thunderbolt could do it and I think the S3 also.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Just to flesh out the reasoning, every phone but the iPhone has a separate 3G\1X radio and a separate LTE radio. The iPhone only has one radio so that it can squeeze more life out if it's terrible battery.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to flesh out the reasoning, every phone but the iPhone has a separate 3G\1X radio and a separate LTE radio. The iPhone only has one radio so that it can squeeze more life out if it's terrible battery.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Now that makes sense. I had thought that for some reason Apple was doing something against Verizon, because I'm of the understanding that the ATT iPhone does allow simultaneous voice and data.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
This feature, available in some form because of the multiple radios, will be improved upon with t he introduction of VOLTE( voice over LTE) which is why this is being touted as a big deal. Though most LTE phones can currently do voice and data a the same time because of the separate radios, having one radio that can do both, similar to GSM phones is what VOLTE will allow but with a much better throughput. being able to do SVLTE is a necessity of being able to use VOLTE which is being tested and expected become widespread.

basically they are future proofing the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss