Nokia Lumia 920 to be an AT&T exclusive

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
:( So, HTC or Samsung, here I come.

Best of luck to you, Nokia. Hope it works out.

Edit: According to their website the 820 is an AT&T exclusive too. I really don't understand. Hopefully Nokia will still be around to get it right next time.

Last edited:

Xplode22

May 10, 2011
Visit site
This just pisses me off! Why wouldn't a company like Nokia want to offer their phones to as many potential buyers as possible?!?! My only hope is that the AT&T "exclusive" will only be a launch exclusive and that the 920 could be available on Verizon a month or so later. If not, then I guess it's the 8X for me...and my wife...and my son...see what you're missing here Nokia!!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if there is an 822 and/or 922 announced for Verizon.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

QuadForce

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this pisses me off to no end. I was so damn excited to get a 920 and now this crap. :( Looks like HTC for me.

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I didn't know about the 820 also being an exclusive. What happened, Nokia? You have some sweet hardware, but most people in the US won't be able to buy it even if they wanted to.

It now makes perfect sense why Microsoft chose HTC to be the face of WP8. The 8X and 8S will be available on all the major carriers. (Not sure what's up with Sprint though)

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
My only hope is that the AT&T "exclusive" will only be a launch exclusive and that the 920 could be available on Verizon a month or so later.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an 822 and/or 922 announced for Verizon.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I too see this happening. The question is how long will it take? I dont think it will be a month. It will be more like Janurary. This is fine with me as I need to save up to buy it off contract. However, would we be hearing about second generation WP8 phones by this time? Will that prompt me to hold of until then? We'll see.

rollo132

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
The 900 sold so well on just the one carrier, it only made sense to do the exact same thing!......

Nokia AND Microsoft want, need, to move handsets quickly. Exclusivity might drive up hype, but it does not drive adoption. As much as people want the latest and greatest, they also want to have what everyone has, what their friends are using. What doesn't make sense to me is that they ALREADY tried this with the 900, and look how many 900's are out there; not nearly as many as they'd hoped. Someone much smarter than I defined insanity as trying the same thing but expecting different results. These seems like one of those times.

I certainly hope that an earlier poster is right, with the 920 and 820 being ATT exclusives, & the 922 & 822 going to Verizon. Not only because I'm a Verizon customer, but because Windows Phone needs exposure to get people to buy.

I'm aware that the carriers decide that what phones they stock, but this is still a raw deal for a lot of consumers.

happynoodleboy

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'm switching to ATT. My friend has ATT and he gets just as good and sometimes better signal than I do on Verizon.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
No need to get emotional, Nokia said a long time ago that they would give each carrier a custom version of flag ships to satisfy each carrier. It may be a permanent exclusive or temporary, as of this very moment we just don't know yet.

We should wait for WP central staff to get a hands on and talk to a phew folks before we start crying and cursing Nokia. I don't think this is the end, why would Nokia make the 920 compatible with so many different radio bands? CDMA GSM and all kinds of LTE bands are supported so I don't think this is the end. I will patiently wait and see what unfolds.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The 900 sold so well on just the one carrier, it only made sense to do the exact same thing!......

Nokia AND Microsoft want, need, to move handsets quickly. Exclusivity might drive up hype, but it does not drive adoption. As much as people want the latest and greatest, they also want to have what everyone has, what their friends are using. What doesn't make sense to me is that they ALREADY tried this with the 900, and look how many 900's are out there; not nearly as many as they'd hoped. Someone much smarter than I defined insanity as trying the same thing but expecting different results. These seems like one of those times.

I certainly hope that an earlier poster is right, with the 920 and 820 being ATT exclusives, & the 922 & 822 going to Verizon. Not only because I'm a Verizon customer, but because Windows Phone needs exposure to get people to buy.

I'm aware that the carriers decide that what phones they stock, but this is still a raw deal for a lot of consumers.

Like it or not, the hype is needed. The hype will come before adoption. And hype from the carriers is hard to come by without some sort of exclusivity.

Look at all WP handsets in general. Nokia has over 50% of the market, and probably even more of the mindshare.

MS will by hyping the Windows 8 ecosystem in general.

Nokia will be hyping their Lumia line.

But they still need a partner that will be committed to hyping the products in the stores. And that doesn't happen with a little known product unless there is a deal made that benefits the carrier for doing so.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I too see this happening. The question is how long will it take? I dont think it will be a month. It will be more like Janurary. This is fine with me as I need to save up to buy it off contract. However, would we be hearing about second generation WP8 phones by this time? Will that prompt me to hold of until then? We'll see.

I was wondering the same thing, as our situations are likely somewhat similar (wanting to keep unlimited plan, paying $599 for a phone soon cost prohibitive, etc). Waiting until January/February wouldn't be a horrible thing. Better than nothing, which is what it seems as of now.

Do you really expect 2nd generation WP8 devices, though?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

drdreydel

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing, as our situations are likely somewhat similar (wanting to keep unlimited plan, paying $599 for a phone soon cost prohibitive, etc). Waiting until January/February wouldn't be a horrible thing. Better than nothing, which is what it seems as of now.

Do you really expect 2nd generation WP8 devices, though?
No, but we should here rumors of some in the works, right? In reality, second generation phones won't be out by end of summer 2013, the earliest and I certainly will not be waiting that long. I will get a new phone by February, and it will be the 8x if Nokia is not on Verizon.

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Why weren't you expecting this? I thought it was common sense that the 920 was going to be a time exclusive for AT&T.

There were strong rumors of Verizon getting the 920 and I was hoping that Nokia learned from the whole "L900 exclusivity" thing. I'm sure some other carriers will get the 920 or 820 eventually, but this will definitely hold Nokia back from being a big player. How long with this exclusivity period last? Three months? Six months?

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Redmond was clearly anticipating Nokia doing something this stupid. Thus the development of their own WP8 hardware.

I'm sure AT&T had a big hand in this, so you can't totally blame Nokia. Also, I don't think this is why Microsoft wants to build their own devices. However, this exclusivity deal shows why Microsoft chose HTC to be the face of Windows Phone 8 instead of Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)