Nokia lumia 925, so many breaches in personal security

W

WPCentral Question

I spent four days going through all the guidance through Nokia's 925 site to create and amend the phone to what I wanted it to do, so after four days & nights I thought it was correct after following all the guidance on my specific individual preferences:

1. RING TONES: Firstly it makes you feel dictated to by using the lame ring tones, what happend to be able to use your own Music ring tones, you can not even have a group ringtone.

2. GROUPS: This took so long and even worse would only allow you have a maximum of 25 people in each group for text, 8 groups to send one text and then the phone would not send them, I even tried it with the smallest group of 8 contacts to yet again no avail. Please note; I went through every individual of each group to ensure they had either a mobile or landline number showing (landlines read the text to my contacts). I want one big group not to be adding 8 groups to each text and having to trawl through numerous contacts to find the groups.

3. MERGING CONTACTS: You choose not to merge but it still does 'SECURITY NOKIA'! if you get hacked on your pc or phone you now are open to having both accounts hacked, I want my phone contacts and email contacts separated, if you do a search for an individual for a text or to phone you should not have to trawl through email address's, this comes across as a complete waste of time and effort trying to learn this so called phone. I have over 500 contacts on my phone and have had to revert to my old N8 mobile phone to be able to work.

4. SECURITY: Absolutely furious that even on my PC all my contacts show their phone numbers and breach their privacy and security, specially my own.

5. WHY I BOUGHT THIS PHONE (LOYALTY): Nokia N74 was a really bad phone and turned me away from buying another Nokia for a large number of years, I bought a Sony Ericson which was great but I really wanted to stay loyal to Nokia and I bought an N8 which I absolutely love, however when I seen this 925 I fell for all its charm so like a banana I was daft enough to get one thinking other's were just not literate or had not made the time & effort to learn about this phone.

6. NOKIA HELP CONTACTING THEM VIA EMAIL: DONT WASTE YOUR TIME THEY JUST SAY USE THE FORUMS, CAN ANYBODY HELP OR ADVISE WITH OUT WANTING TO TAKE A HAMMER TO THIS SO CALLED PHONE? (i WILL BE SHOCKED IF ALL THIS CAN BE RECTIFIED TO WORK AS A MOBILE SHOULD).

7. I FEEL ASHAMED TO HAVE BOUGHT THIS NOKIA 925 AND WASTED SO MUCH MONEY ON IT, I DARE NOT PUT MY SIM CARD BACK IN IT: I HAVE NOW HIT A BRICK WALL LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE, IT DOES AS IT WANTS NOT AS I WANT, I WILL WASTE MORE OF MY TIME HAVING TO TRAWL THROUGH ALL MY EMAIL TO REMOVE PEOPLE PERSONAL PHONE NUMBERS GOD KNOW HOW MANY WEEKS THIS WILL TAKE (I ACTUALLY HATE THIS PHONE AFTER THE WORK IT HAS CREATED) IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HELP ME IN MY JOB?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Yes, it's possible to assign custom ringtones to your contacts. You can't for groups, but certainly for contacts.
I don't know what your issue is with sending texts to groups, In all my years of supporting Windows Phone users, I've never seen a complaint that group texts are not being sent.
Security:
Microsoft stores contacts in the cloud
Android stores contacts in the cloud
Apple stores contacts in the cloud

Cloud computing and storage is where the future is heading, and we place a fair amount of trust in the providers to keep that data safe. We, as users, are also responsible for taking steps to protect our own data through the use of strong passwords, two-step authentication, and keeping our physical devices safe.

If you're concerned about your contact list and details being stored in the cloud, then use of a modern smartphone is not for you,

Having said that, only contacts stored against or linked to your main Microsoft Account are automatically synced to the cloud (and on to any other services you use that account for). For other email accounts on your phone, you can elect not to synchronise those contacts if you so wish.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
1. To have a personal ringtone change the genre of the song you want to use to RINGTONE and put it in the RINGTONE folder. I've been told all you need to do now is have the song int the RINGTONE folder but I'm not sure of that. Adding ringtones to your Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

2. Don't use groups so can't help you here. The limit does appear to be 25 members per group.

3. You can adjust how your contacts are sorted through People. Up to you how you want to do that.

4. Your phone cannot be hacked. Your email on computer or Outlook.com can be but it's up to you to set a good password for Outlook.com and be wary of what you download on your PC. So I don't get your 'security breach' nonsense here.

5. You should never buy anything out of loyalty. Know what you're getting into. Do your research beforehand.

6. Windows Phone is by Microsoft and the hardware is by Nokia. Nokia was bought by Microsoft. If you have any concerns I suggest you contact Microsoft. The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States)

7. Honestly, I'm not fond of cap locks and it makes me think you're shouting. Saying that, I don't think Windows Phone is a good business phone if you don't want to work with the way it works. I found it frustrating as well so I can relate to you.

Lastly, Windows Phone as you might have guessed is not for everyone but if you're concerned about security then it is by far the best one. People seem to concentrate on the negatives rather than work with the OS. WP is not perfect by any stretch and there is always someone on this forum complaining on how it doesn't suit them or their special needs.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. To have a personal ringtone change the genre of the song you want to use to RINGTONE and put it in the RINGTONE folder. I've been told all you need to do now is have the song int the RINGTONE folder but I'm not sure of that. Adding ringtones to your Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

As far as I'm aware, you no longer have to change the genre of the file to "ringtone" by messing with the metadata, it just needs to be DRM free and placed into the right folder.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, you no longer have to change the genre of the file to "ringtone" by messing with the metadata, it just needs to be DRM free and placed into the right folder.

Ah, OK. I still have a tendency to change it to Ringtone. I just wish it would let us select from the music on the phone rather than using another folder.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You may find the Ringtone Maker app of interest. It is supplied free by Microsoft and was written when Nokia owned that part of the business.

You may also wish to upgrade your personal firmware version above mental age 13. These later versions are generally well regarded to the point that most people choose to upgrade early.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah, OK. I still have a tendency to change it to Ringtone. I just wish it would let us select from the music on the phone rather than using another folder.

I just tried this as well - resulted in the Airwolf theme being played at full volume in the office; just a bit embarrassing...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You may also wish to upgrade your personal firmware version above mental age 13. These later versions are generally well regarded to the point that most people choose to upgrade early.

Please don't antagonise things by rattling the cage. Address the species, not the animal.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You may find the Ringtone Maker app of interest. It is supplied free by Microsoft and was written when Nokia owned that part of the business.

Who are you talking to if you don't mind me asking?

spudt883

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Really appreciated for getting back to me.

For the record boss I'm ex forces and run a large veterans branch, my phone is there lifeline hence why I needed some thing that I could work with to help them when they need it.

1. To have a personal ringtone change the genre of the song you want to use to RINGTONE and put it in the RINGTONE folder. I've been told all you need to do now is have the song int the RINGTONE folder but I'm not sure of that. Adding ringtones to your Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom).

A. Thank you for that I downloaded an app and can now convert my MP3's to a ring tone I just hope that this will be unlimited :smile:.

2. Don't use groups so can't help you here. The limit does appear to be 25 members per group. There ages of my Branch vary from 95 years old downwards so they need reminding of meetings ect, hence why I needed one large group for texts, the other groups were for each Regiment they come from which would of saved me hours trawling through each individual :crying: group ring tones was an asset so I knew in most cases who they are.

3. You can adjust how your contacts are sorted through People. Up to you how you want to do that.

A. Tried a number of ways but none seem to work for this as it still shows the groups for both email and text a lot of a downer as I have to be extra careful to add all 8 groups to one text without pressing one of the email groups which show up in the same list (for some reason I can not get rid of them unless I delete them from my email account :cry:

4. Your phone cannot be hacked. Your email on computer or Outlook.com can be but it's up to you to set a good password for Outlook.com and be wary of what you download on your PC. So I don't get your 'security breach' nonsense here.

A. LOL, it may be illegal to hack phones but nothing is impossible if they really want to, it used to take less than 1 minute 5 years back.

5. You should never buy anything out of loyalty. Know what you're getting into. Do your research beforehand.

A. I really was sure I had after watching this phone for the past two years and listening to feedback off people so thought any flaws would of been ironed out by now, plus a lot of people were not that PC literate, I must admit it made me feel that way too. :unhappysweat:

6. Windows Phone is by Microsoft and the hardware is by Nokia. Nokia was bought by Microsoft. If you have any concerns I suggest you contact Microsoft. The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States).

A. I seen this on the news, (something I can not get out of the habbit of doing due to previous job) I just did'nt believe it was so hard to master, I do love something to learn and am not some one that gives up so easy, I always bounce back eventually :wink:.

7. Honestly, I'm not fond of cap locks and it makes me think you're shouting. Saying that, I don't think Windows Phone is a good business phone if you don't want to work with the way it works. I found it frustrating as well so I can relate to you.

A. By that stage I had 'thrown my teddy bear in the corner ripped its arms and legs off then gorged its eyes out, with a severe case of tourettes' as the saying goes :grin:

Lastly, Windows Phone as you might have guessed is not for everyone but if you're concerned about security then it is by far the best one. People seem to concentrate on the negatives rather than work with the OS. WP is not perfect by any stretch and there is always someone on this forum complaining on how it doesn't suit them or their special needs.

A. Really appreciated for getting back to me, I may look into contacting Microsoft to see if they can tweak/rectify some of the groups (to expand and add a ring tone to) via some sort of update, we can but ask as consumers, I just expect to get past from pillar to post via emails until I may get the right department.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is no publically accessible email address for contacting Microsoft to submit bugs or feature requests.

Microsoft has a dedicated portal for these items where people can add or vote for features. Microsoft picks up the most popular/worthwhile items and add them to new updates.

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

It's worth searching and adding your vote to an existing request if there's one there. Microsoft aren't likely to look at single requests with only one or two votes; adding your vote to an already popular item will carry more weight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb