Nokia X OS

Rishabh1995

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

So there are some new pictures of the Nokia X on the internet tonight. Now, while everyone is going nuts about the fact that this phone runs a forked version of Android, I have some questions and theories about the OS on this phone.

I heard somewhere that the device will have 'Asha on Linux' store, which intrigued me. Is this device actually running Android, or just an upcoming version of Asha on Linux? Think of it, why would running Android help Microsoft and Nokia's case? Wouldn't it make more sense to develop a new Asha OS on Linux?

Edit: Does anyone have solid conformation that the OS is Android, like a picture of the settings page, or something like that?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Android is free to use. It could run android apps, the developers dont need to do much to submit the apps they have at google store to the nokia store. Making it look like WP is obvious to get people familiar with the squares. I think this makes all sense and I would do it exacly like this.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if WPCentral will create a Nokia X sub-forum. I, too, am curious about the Android phone and have some questions, the chief one being, WHAT BROWSER DOES IT RUN?!

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
IMO, this device will murder WP's marketshare in places where it gained it based on the Nokia name and/or the incredible Lumia 520/521. Especially India.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
IMO, this device will murder WP's marketshare in places where it gained it based on the Nokia name and/or the incredible Lumia 520/521. Especially India.
Exactly, I can't understand how many people are not able to see(or rather believe) that this is a big danger for WP, since the growth is almost only at the low end. Many people who wanted a Nokia Android could not get it earlier, so they moved to WP. Now, as Nokia has launched 3 Androids, there is no reason for the people to stay on WP.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Without some move WP is in danger of dying, trust me. That why Nokia pressured MS to buy the devices, the situation looked very difficult. Best selling WP phone 520 does not make any money to Nokia.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Probably the rumours are true that Stephen Elop is Nokia's harbinger of doom. Even at MWC 2014, he's the one who announced this trio of Nokia X's!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
in buying one, to keep for histories sake. the last phone Nokia made that could have kept them in the game. to little, much too late.

hopefully it will get picked up by developers and then into a small cult device. if they can make them fast enough.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, I honestly thought that Stephen went all-WP for the Microsoft support.

He decided to release this when nothing could go wrong in the Microsoft-Nokia deal.

I'm of the opinion that they should've waited for WP8.1, and released phones running the Snapdragon 200 to lower price.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
First, I will start out by saying, I am not a very smart man. With that being said I do not understand how this is dangerous to WP.

Microsoft is to acquire Nokia's Handset Division. Therefore, any Nokia device being sold after the acquisition goes into Microsoft's sales??? Am I right?

Also, lets assume there was never a forked Android OS for Nokia and Microsoft was making Nokia phones. Does Microsoft pay Microsoft license fee?

and last but not least, many are worried that Nokia X OS will steer new markets towards Android and not WP. I see it going both ways but more in the way of WP.

Lets assume I buy a Nokia X OS and after a year of using it I realize there are limitations. The limitations are not the apps because it runs Android apps. As long as Devs submit them to the Nokia Store. The limitations are on the WP side. Like live tiles, or Microsoft Services. This would make me get a WP because I would like to get rid of those limitations.

But wait there is more, the trade off is that I would lose those precious Android Apps. Hopefully by this point the missing apps will be on WP.

Not sure what Microsoft plans are

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, I can't understand how many people are not able to see(or rather believe) that this is a big danger for WP, since the growth is almost only at the low end. Many people who wanted a Nokia Android could not get it earlier, so they moved to WP. Now, as Nokia has launched 3 Androids, there is no reason for the people to stay on WP.

I think if they would have launched a true high end device running android it would have been absolute death sentence for WP as a lumia Icon or 1520 running android would be a dream come true to many.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I think if they would have launched a true high end device running android it would have been absolute death sentence for WP as a lumia Icon or 1520 running android would be a dream come true to many.

I agree with this. The 1020, Icon and 1520 shines because both have no Android counterparts. And OS-wise, the 1020 phones could lag a lot if it has Android running as OS. What Nokia needs to survive are more apps and improvement on WP. And also more educated people since a lot confuse their smartphones for a gaming device and end up wanting more games for their phones. As a user of WP and an Android tablet, I see that Android has more polished games and also support 1080p for gaming.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Qiyamata

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I used to be one of those guys who would tell people that had a WP that Android is better because of app support, more games and the ability to root and stuff. But since I have purchased my 521 I see I was wrong. I now love the WP and will never switch back to Android. I get it now, the WP os just works! No lag and seamless integration. I even have some cool games on here like Halo Spartan Assault and Asphault 7. I still have my Nexus 7 2nd Gen with a Moga controller when I feel the need to game hardcore. But I just showed my coworkers at work my new WP and all three of them said ya... But androids better! So omg... I can't believe that used to be me. I wanted to slap them lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h