Non-removable battery - will it be an issue?

searitus

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering getting the Lumia 920 as there are a few good deals for it floating around at the moment, but the one thing that keeps cropping up again and again is the lack of a removable battery. If I get a new phone I would want it to last for a good few years, as I'm not too fussed about having the latest gadgets, just something that works and suits my use. Since the battery on this phone cannot be replaced (by myself anyway), would that cause problems further down the line? Would the battery life suffer so much eventually that it needs to be replaced, or would it last a good 4/5 years? It's pretty much the main issue that's concerning me at the moment, so any advice would be appreciated!

On a side note, I think Nokia offer a two-year warranty, is that correct? If so, could I ask for a new battery to be swapped in just before the two-year period?

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if the battery will be good for 4-5 years, but it should at least survive two years without problems. I don't know about the warranty though...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its technically replaceable, so. worst comes for worst, you could open it up a replace. It'll be out of warranty by then.
5 years may be a stretch, but then again I've bought old Palm pilots that still had respectable battery life.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You can replace it using a couple of screwdrivers so in a few years if you need to it won't be an issue. In warranty, just call Nokia of course!

searitus

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if the battery will be good for 4-5 years, but it should at least survive two years without problems. I don't know about the warranty though...

Ok thanks, I know 4-5 years sounds a bit long but it's the extreme end of how long I'd probably hold on to it for.

Its technically replaceable, so. worst comes for worst, you could open it up a replace. It'll be out of warranty by then.
5 years may be a stretch, but then again I've bought old Palm pilots that still had respectable battery life.

You can replace it using a couple of screwdrivers so in a few years if you need to it won't be an issue. In warranty, just call Nokia of course!

Yeah I've seen a couple of videos about people opening it up themselves, but to be honest I'm not sure if I trust myself to do that and not wreck the thing! Do you know if that's that an "official" method that Nokia themselves have publicised, or just people experimenting on opening the case?

And as for the Palm, that's true but devices those days also consumed much less power (so less wear on the battery perhaps?). This would be my first smartphone you see so finding out that a daily as opposed to a once or twice-weekly charge seems to be standard nowadays was a shock in itself!

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
My battery was replaced last week. they also replaced the front screen as the front camera was unusable because of the dust. phone is only 10 months old cant say I will be getting another Nokia for sure though, This is my 3rd Lumia phone and all 3 have had issues.

NineRemotes

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't like charging my phone. With a removable battery I simply take out the dead one and put in a charged one while the other charges. You can get them for $5-$10 on Ebay with wall chargers. Also if your Non-removable battery fails, you may have to pay $100 deductible and deal without your phone for a week. This can happen within the first month of having a phone and happens often when they get about a year old. Since most contracts are 2 years the company makes more money this way. Really, why else would they take away a freedom you had before for no reason?
The same with SD cards. They would rather you pay to store your stuff online with their apps.
For me this is a deal breaker even though I love some of the other phones features I can't deal with an embedded battery. If you don't use your phone much, it may not be much of a factor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb