ODB app and device suggestions for WP

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Try AutoGaugeX, OBD Auto Doctor, or CarDash. These look like the top 3 rated on the store. I own all 3 and I like different things about each. I can tell you there's a major update coming on AGX and it looks really good.

As for the devices, I have the BAFXpro and the Vgate OBD Scan devices and they are good. I have an AT&T Nokia 920 (1st day issue) which didn't get along with the BAFXpro but the Vgate works great with all my cars. The BAFXpro has the best reviews and does work with my wife's Android and there are reviews that says it works with WP so there's something odd about my 920.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Try AutoGaugeX, OBD Auto Doctor, or CarDash. These look like the top 3 rated on the store. I own all 3 and I like different things about each. I can tell you there's a major update coming on AGX and it looks really good.

As for the devices, I have the BAFXpro and the Vgate OBD Scan devices and they are good. I have an AT&T Nokia 920 (1st day issue) which didn't get along with the BAFXpro but the Vgate works great with all my cars. The BAFXpro has the best reviews and does work with my wife's Android and there are reviews that says it works with WP so there's something odd about my 920.

Yeah the BAFX states android only.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried your 920 with these since the Black update?

I bought a sensor in September and it worked fine the first couple of times I used it... I just tried again and the phone could not see the sensor. So, either the update broke this feature OR my bluetooth adapter is broken (It still lights up fine, but doesn't mean the transmitter is still working).

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
First thing, try your device on a different car. I've seen reports where some cars just don't work. If the device doesn't work on other cars, then you can assume your device is at fault. In that case, there are a lot of different ELM 327 devices out there. In my case, the Vgate device did work for me.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I cannot get the ELM 327 Mini to stay connected to Bluetooth. It will connect for three seconds then disconnects.

Which one did you have? I think the one I have was deamed a "super mini"...it was half the length of the VGate one, and doesn't really have a brand new writen on it.

Anyway, I think I'll try that Vgate one based on the thread here.

Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID : Amazon.com : Automotive

Same thing, without all the ANDROID mentions, haha

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
First thing, try your device on a different car. I've seen reports where some cars just don't work. If the device doesn't work on other cars, then you can assume your device is at fault. In that case, there are a lot of different ELM 327 devices out there. In my case, the Vgate device did work for me.
I don't know if the pic attached or not but this is what I bought.
WP_20140223_13_16_02_Pro.jpg
Here's the ebay link:
Mini ELM327 V1 5 OBD2 II Bluetooth Car Auto Diagnostic Interface Scanner Tool | eBay

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll try downloading an obd app on my daughter's HTC 8x and use the device on my wife's car. Also try an app on wife's iPhone if I have to. :eck:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll try downloading an obd app on my daughter's HTC 8x and use the device on my wife's car. Also try an app on wife's iPhone if I have to. :eck:

That is the exact device that I had. Worked fine on my 2008 Nissan Altima with my Nokia 920...then I just tried it again and nothing. Wouldn't work with an 04 Pontiac or 06 GMC either...it is just straight up busted.

There are no ODBII apps for the iPhone...they do not support the Bluetooth settings to allow them to work.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just to add to the big picture, tested both OBD readers and apps again just now.

Vgate: Connected and working with AutoGaugeX and CarDash. Could not connect with OBD Auto Doctor (pretty sure it did the other day so this is weird). Realized I hadn't tried the Vgate with Android so tested that with my wife's Note2 and Torque. And it worked.

BAFXpro: Still only works with Android.

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Got my 925 in the mail and set it up same as my 810. Tried connecting to the bluetooth ELM327 mini and same thing happens. Connects for a few seconds and disconnects. Weird thing is, it connects fine and stays connected to my Surface 2 but there is only one app that supports it and its a pay app. So if it sucks, I'm out $2.50.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Got my 925 in the mail and set it up same as my 810. Tried connecting to the bluetooth ELM327 mini and same thing happens. Connects for a few seconds and disconnects. Weird thing is, it connects fine and stays connected to my Surface 2 but there is only one app that supports it and its a pay app. So if it sucks, I'm out $2.50.

1) just my observation here, but if that Mini Elm327 of yours doesn't work with your 925, 810, your car, nor your wife's car, seems to me that OBD device is the problem. It would be like my BAFXpro, it just doesn't connect to certain WP. You may want to try the Vgate device. I also have the free trial Diagnose Your Car app for WP8 and it works fine on my 920.

2) Didn't realize Diagnose Your Car was out for W8. So I installed the free trial on my Surface RT. Using the Vgate device, connected up fine and worked nice.

3) I can't guarantee the Vgate will work for you, but my advice would be to buy the Vgate on Amazon because, a) it would work on all your phones and S2 if it worked, and b) if it didn't work, you have a hassle-free return policy at Amazon.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
And to add more to the big picture, tried the BAFXpro device with my Surface RT. The device paired up and looked like it was going to work. However, when I went to request error codes, it couldn't receive data even though it was still connected. Tried the speedometer page and it rendered "- -" for speed, whereas with the Vgate, the RT had a nice real time display.

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And to add more to the big picture, tried the BAFXpro device with my Surface RT. The device paired up and looked like it was going to work. However, when I went to request error codes, it couldn't receive data even though it was still connected. Tried the speedometer page and it rendered "- -" for speed, whereas with the Vgate, the RT had a nice real time display.

Let me know if you have other positive feedback on the Vgate. Inspection is coming up on my car in April and my engine light keeps going off and on.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
not sure there's anything left to add: works with my 925, works with Note 2 and Torque, works on all my cars, works with all my apps, works with my Surface RT, $12.30 on Amazon with money back guarantee, what other assurances you need? :smile:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Vgate in the mail from Amazon [bought the one I linked above]. Ran out to the car to play around with it. Connects up just fine to my 920, go into the app and it said it is disconnected...wth?

Go back to settings, connect to it again, connects just fine...and 3 seconds pass...poof...disconnected. Tap again...connects just fine...pause...disconnected.

Mine is doing the same thing as Hink's mini. ugh.........

Although I think I might just test out my Surface RT also and pull the trigger on an app vs. sending this thing back again!

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
maybe you've already done this but I'll say it just in case. If you're in the BT menu and it disconnects itself there, that's fine, that's what mine does. After it disconnects in the BT menu, go ahead to the app and launch anyway. The app will re-establish the connection, and for me, it stays connected then.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My experience with a VGate OBD2 Bluetooth dongle...

Got this today and ran out to play. I connected it up to my 1999 Suburban first and had no luck. I then hooked it up to my 2013 Malibu and it worked perfectly with AutogaugeX and CaDash. Both vehicles are OBD2 compliant. The only difference between the two is the Malibu uses CAN and the Suburban uses VPW protocols.

After figuring this out I tried the following apps on the Suburban:
AutoGaugeX connects to the dongle fine. Status at the top says "Connected to car" but no data is transmitted to the app. RPM stays at 0.

CarDash connects to the dongle then disconnects after a few seconds.

Motorist showed no data but couldn't tell if it stayed connected to the dongle.

ODB Info San was the only one that showed any information at all and that was voltage but looked like the free trial version times out before any other info come through. This is the only app I found that let me select what ODB protocol to use.

I tried the Use Freely ELM 327 app but no luck keeping CarDash connected.

UPDATE Edit:
Had an idea so I hooked it back up to the Malibu and using OBD Info-San played with the protocol settings. If I didn't set the correct protocol the app either wouldn't connect at all or I would only get voltage and nothing else. When using the Auto Negotiate setting it was hit and miss if I would see any information. But selecting the correct protocol always worked perfectly. I was also wrong about the free trial timing out so I need to play with the protocols on the Suburban and see if I can find one that works.

My suspicion is that while they say these are OBD2 compliant, they have a problem negotiating older protocols. People having problems, what protocols do your vehicles use? You may be able to tell by looking at what pins are populated in the connector. This web page is what I used to find mine:
OBD II Connector Pinout

I will try again tomorrow on a 2000 Cougar and see what happens with it. It should be using the PWM protocol.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077