Office 365 activation on 640XL / RM-1096

wprocks

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone in US tried activating Office 365 personal on 640XL / RM1096 model?

I am on T-Mobile and Office 365 gift app says you operator is not participating hence cannot activate. What is going on here?

wprocks

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
It does by I am activating Office365 subscription by downloading Office365 gift app. This will give one year Office 365 subscription.

Goroon

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Is your phone locked to T-mobile and subsidised by them? If so they may not be participating in the promotion as it presumably costs them to do so ($20 I think).

If your phone isn't locked then try borrow a sim from another carrier just to do the activation.

wprocks

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Nope. I bought RM-1096 640XL Dual Sim LTE over eBay. It was shipped from Singapore. It is unbranded. (Only MS brand) and it did have Chinese as the default language. If MS says you get free subscription to Office 365 with purchase of 640 they should give it to buyer without worrying about stinking operators.

RL76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
would like to know this as well. my 640XL will be here friday. i'm also with T-mobile...

wprocks, what speeds are you getting and location? i'm in san diego...

RANDi

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i got mine off of eBay as well, from Singapore, and the office 365 gift app said the carrier is not participating. so no, i did not get it...

3rdrockalien

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Ordered my RM-1096 from Saletagz on Amazon.com. Downloaded and installed the Office 365 Gift App.
Opened the app and was told "Thank you for buying a Microsoft Lumia Phone!" Tap to claim your !-year Office 360 Personal subscription. App then checked the device eligibility and said it was "Wrong Device Model". So nope!

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You don't need a foreign SIM. I have a RM-1096. Change your region to Hong Kong - SAR. Download and install the Office 365 Gift App. Open the app, it'll fail the first time around. Try again, enter your email of choice. You'll get a code to give you one year of O365personal. If you already have a O365 Home subscription, check Thurrott's site for how to change it to 9 Months of Home stacked on your current subscription.

P.S. I went so far as to region hop on my MSA as well, but I don't think it's actually necessary.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm a T-Mobile user in the U.S. I downloaded the 365 Gift App and ran the gift app, followed all the instructions and was told my subscription was activated. Now when I click on Office, and select 365 it asks me for my login information. Every time I put it in however it tells me their was an unexpected problem and it wont let me log in.

Fin-Tomi

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm a T-Mobile user in the U.S. I downloaded the 365 Gift App and ran the gift app, followed all the instructions and was told my subscription was activated. Now when I click on Office, and select 365 it asks me for my login information. Every time I put it in however it tells me their was an unexpected problem and it wont let me log in.

Those credentials are for Corporate Office 365, Office 365 Gift contains 1Tb capacity for your OneDrive and desktop/pad license for Office for another device. .

wprocks

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Today morning I received an email from Microsoft about claiming o365 subscription on Lumia. When I clicked on the link on my phone it opened the O365 gift app on my RM-1096. This time it was successful in one go. I am TMo USA with US as a region. It seems MS activated all Lumias in the system now.

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Today morning I received an email from Microsoft about claiming o365 subscription on Lumia. When I clicked on the link on my phone it opened the O365 gift app on my RM-1096. This time it was successful in one go. I am TMo USA with US as a region. It seems MS activated all Lumias in the system now.

That appears to be the case. I just got mine activated too.

<TED>

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

Did you ever get a solution to this? I am having the same problem.

<TED>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDL3PCD