[OFFICIAL] Surface Pro 3 - First Impressions

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Just got mine today (128gb core i5), and so far I think this is the coolest piece of tech I've ever owned. I had the original Surface Pro and this new one is about a million times nicer. My favorite feature so far is the uber-adjustable kickstand. I can prop this thing up on my stomach as I'm laying in bed watching TV, and anything that helps me to be even lazier is ok in my book :)

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have my SP3, i5/128gb two weeks now and couldn't be happier. I even sold my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 already and I'm seriously considering switching from Android to Windows phone.

In full disclosure I have been a Microsoft fan going back to the mid 80's. I never owned an Apple product and don't plan on it. If the SP3 was released sooner I wouldn't have bought the GNP 12.2.

All that being said....

The SP3 has been fantastic. It's great being able to hold me PC in my hand. At work we use two software applications that require Windows, I am now able to have them on a device that is truly portable. I have an Office365 subscription and with OneDrive's 1tb (soon to be unlimited) storage I have everything I need at my finger tips.

Surface pen works much better than the Samsung stylus. I wish I were able to configure the button on the top of the pen. Right now I don't use OneNote very much, Evernote is my app of choice.

The physical quality of the SP3 is excellent.

Really like the Type Cover - back lit keys are nice at night when I'm in bed. One of those work programs require the use of function keys and it would be nice to have the FN keys active while on that program instead of having the hold the FN and the corresponding key.

It would be nice if the on-screen keyboard could be resized. It's s little to big for the screen.

I've been using Windows 8 for sometime on my desktop but haven't used the new start screen much until now and I'm really liking it. It's getting me ready for Windows phone.

I may not use it to the extent some of you do but I do find myself using it everyday and it has been fantastic.

ADDED:
1) Cannot use the pen to scroll pages.

2) As much as I like the magnetic connector on the powwr supply I'm not a fan or proprietary connections. Wish it used USB or MicroUSB.

3) From shut down it starts up much faster than the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2.

Last edited:

verks

Feb 12, 2005
Visit site
I won't go into a ton here everyone has done a great job of pointing out the good and bad. I just have to say I'm in awe. I like windows and have always had a windows in the house even when I owned a mac or iPad. This piece of tech is outstanding, I was just going to grab another Android tab and started researching the Surface. I never realized how nice and polished it had become. Even after the first few days with it I wasn't sold but after using an android tab again and digging in deep with the Surface I fell in love and found it to be not only fun but what I need in a tab.

I was looking for something to use for notes and on the fly excel editing and website updating. This is perfect. I'm very happy so much so I returned my original i5 128 and picks up the i5 256. Need the space and a little future proofing. Not to mention I can't put it down.

Paul Foulkes

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Got mine on Tuesday. i5 128. Amazing. Looks stunning. My wife has a Mac book air and is so jealous. Still getting used to the pen ( which was one of the main reasons for changing from an ultrabook ). Easily handles all the design and graphic tasks I use. The ultrabook wasn't heavy but the SP3 is beautiful and light.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I got my i5/128GB on Tuesday as well, and I love it! This is the perfect size for me to take out in the field (I am a sports photographer). I've never had a computer (yes, this IS a computer!) that I could remove the keyboard when I didn't need it, so that in itself makes it more portable for me. The graphics are amazing, and the horsepower is definitely enough for my main use as a mobile photo editing rig. The pen is a bonus, but I haven't had a chance to use it much, but I will as time goes on. And I'm super excited to see what Windows 10 will do on this thing, but I'm not brave enough yet to install it on this, especially if I'm taking it out and trusting that it will work on-site.

I just have 2 other comments:

1. No Kensington-type lock. When I am in a stadium or arena shooting pics, I leave my stuff out either in the media room or press box. My old 2009 MacBook Pro, which my Surface replaced, has a lock slot and I have a cable that I would wrap around a table or something. The Surface doesn't have that, so I need to figure out what to do.

2. This thing is SO awesome that I might end up returning it and getting the i5/256GB instead... :)

EDIT: I returned it and got the i7/256GB... :)

Last edited:

Stump3r

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Just picked up my SP3 i5 128 Tuesday and to say I'm in love would be an understatement. I'm a technical sales rep and have been using a tablet and laptop to get everything done. I've installed office 365 and with the full version of onenote I handwrite all my notes and keep a call journal. Having full versions off office software and not having to rely on half featured app versions is a god send. I swear my productivity has doubled as I no longer have to spend time moving notes and modified word and excel docs off my tablet and onto my laptop. Plus as a minor gaming rig and movie machine for the long nights in hotel rooms this is just perfect. No more sync errors, no more compatability issues from android back to windows, I finally have the best of both worlds. The only complaint I have is that I can't seem to find a nice padfolio for it...so I made my own.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire