OLD Music Hub from WP8.0, vote please

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Really, the only thing I really want is my music apps to be launchable in one place, access to music and podcasts in the same spot, access to the FM radio in the same spot as well. In other words, the old Music Hub.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The big problem is that MS phased out the Zune hardware in favor of Windows Phone, and then they took their beautiful piece of software which had loads of features and completely scrapped it and gave us a barely working basic app that looks and functions as if it was coded by a 3rd grader. Winamp could do everything you describe back in its early days well over a decade ago. Zune was way ahead of its time and was probably one of the best if not the best music player option out there, period.

The Zune desktop software is still available, a free download, and runs on XP through Windows 8.1. It works with the Xbox music video services (Xbox Music Pass) and MY music stored in the cloud.. I recently purchased a movie on my Xbox 360 and it showed up on ZUNE and I watched it. Even though MS has removed some features, it is still light years ahead of other software! The curated playlists and I think celebrity playlists and podcast management are still there. The animated graphic visuals of the bands are still beautiful! It's amazing! I just wish it synced with my windows phone 8. It seems that the programmers were so good, that when you take out a few features (like social, syncing with WP8) what is left is still great!

Last edited:

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Old music hub is in WP8.1 but you must use short cut to launch it, short cut is for 1$/1€ and also you can launch it through "volume menu"

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding,
The reason why XBOX MUSIC has become slow because NOW IT'S AN APP NOT A OS FEATURE.

sorry, but your understanding isn't correct.

its slower because it was simply badly written/less optimized in comparison to the old hub.

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The big problem is that MS phased out the Zune hardware in favor of Windows Phone, and then they took their beautiful piece of software which had loads of features and completely scrapped it and gave us a barely working basic app that looks and functions as if it was coded by a 3rd grader. Winamp could do everything you describe back in its early days well over a decade ago. Zune was way ahead of its time and was probably one of the best if not the best music player option out there, period.

I still using Zune software 😊 I just love it! I wish they came up with remote for playing music on phone as Zune players have it!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Question: Anyone actually still having problems with Xbox Music? I use it on the transit to work everyday and even on my outdated 820, I don't really get issues out of it.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Suggestions like this are a waste of time.

I don't understand why people think MS is going to reintegrate the music hub into WP8.1. They would need to create a entirely new OS update to enable it again. The whole point of stripping it out of the OS was so they could update it without changing the OS.

I agree with you in principle - votes for "bring back Zune!" or "bring back Hubs" are as useful as "Bring back Windows XP!" - they're Not Going To Happen.

But I also understand that when people mean when they say, "Bring back Zune!" isn't necessarily, "Take the code that ran on my old Zune 30 and load it onto my Lumia 820" - because even non-coders probably get that that's impossible. What they mean (what I *hope* they mean, anyway - and certainly what *I* mean) is, "Bring back AT LEAST the functionality that my old Zune 30 had - its smooth, fast & lovely display, its intuitive UI, its (dare I even say it?) ability to play albums gaplessly." And that's NOT impossible. Of course the code isn't directly portable - but the functional spec certainly is.

Throwing away good code happens all the time - platforms change, and trying to fit old code onto new platforms can be WAY more trouble than it's worth, especially if you weren't particularly clever about anticipating changing platforms when you wrote the old code. But throwing away good DESIGN is stupid, unless you're replacing it with better design, and that is CLEARLY not the case here.

I hope somebody at Microsoft is listening to the underlying message of the "Bring Back $X!" votes, rather than just dismissing them.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Question: Anyone actually still having problems with Xbox Music? I use it on the transit to work everyday and even on my outdated 820, I don't really get issues out of it.

I could be wrong here (and probably am) but for the casual music listener (like me) Xbox Music is fine. It list your stored music, plays them, finds and plays music from the store and plays any playlist you've created. I think its the hardcore music lovers that want more features.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
if you think it is just a shortcut...how come you couldn't find it? Really people the way the value of the dollar has shrunk a dollar or 2 for a link to a music hub that works is a steal. Plus if you can't afford it just do some Bing searches until you have the points

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I agree with you in principle - votes for "bring back Zune!" or "bring back Hubs" are as useful as "Bring back Windows XP!" - they're Not Going To Happen.

But I also understand that when people mean when they say, "Bring back Zune!" isn't necessarily, "Take the code that ran on my old Zune 30 and load it onto my Lumia 820" - because even non-coders probably get that that's impossible. What they mean (what I *hope* they mean, anyway - and certainly what *I* mean) is, "Bring back AT LEAST the functionality that my old Zune 30 had - its smooth, fast & lovely display, its intuitive UI, its (dare I even say it?) ability to play albums gaplessly." And that's NOT impossible. Of course the code isn't directly portable - but the functional spec certainly is.

Throwing away good code happens all the time - platforms change, and trying to fit old code onto new platforms can be WAY more trouble than it's worth, especially if you weren't particularly clever about anticipating changing platforms when you wrote the old code. But throwing away good DESIGN is stupid, unless you're replacing it with better design, and that is CLEARLY not the case here.

I hope somebody at Microsoft is listening to the underlying message of the "Bring Back $X!" votes, rather than just dismissing them.

Well written and explains it nicely.

baruarahul007

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Plz Microsoft bring bck our old wp8 music+videos hub........ I have already a lumia 520 dat runs wp8.1..... The new wp8.1 is amazing........ Bt music & video experience r vry poor....... So i don't update my lumia 1320 with wp8.1........ Plz some one hlp me...... I m a true windows phone lover & dnt purchase any other phones..........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeroyNoodle