OMG chromebook pixel

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Seriously why does this thing exist!? They decide to sell the MacBook pro equivalent for the price of a MacBook pro running an OS that is a browser!? I don't get why!!!!!! What kind of business sense does this make? I mean seriously, chromebooks didn't really start selling until acer and Samsung started coming out with 249$ and 299$ chromebooks because before that it didn't sell. Then they decide to put their OS on a 1300$ laptop!? WHY??????? Is it an internal google joke? Do they think people would buy this over a MacBook pro? I mean, any tablet for 1/5 of the price can do more than this thing....it makes no sense. Someone please explain this to me

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Google's becoming the next Apple with its inane fans and overpriced products. It's funny yet sad seeing the Googaholics come out in full force to defend their lovely company, despite slandering the Surface Pro just a month ago.

It comes with 3 years of Google Drive, which apparently has a cost that exceeds the price of the Pixel.
No one would have bought the 1TB of Google Drive anyway, so that's poor reasoning. It probably costs Google $10 to host your stuff over that time period.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
yeah, why would you buy 1TB of google drive anyways? I could buy 2 or 3 NAS for that price. But Even the surface RT seemed like a difficult sell for Microsoft for 499$ and google wants to charge 3X that for an OS that can do so much less???

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a $1500 web browser with a keyboard to most of us, but if you work at Google, you're sitting on one of the fastest Internet connections on Earth, so that 1TB may as well be local storage, so you can.... I guess store 1TB of browser cache? Keep 100,000,000,000,000 of your favorite spreadsheets offline? Maybe have a place to put your whole super-exciting life that you've been recording since getting Google Glass? I think Google makes products for themselves, honestly.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
that's funny, I just read that. The Linux patch definitely makes it much more useful, still, I'd rather buy a MacBook pro for that price lol. Its almost like internal google employees were like "we want a MacBook pro running chrome OS, can you get something for us?" and The google chair was like "sure, but we have to order a large enough amount so ODM's will make it so well give it to our employees and offload the rest on consumers and call it 'innovative, astounding, and totally worth your money'".

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
So after weeks of reading Surface pro bashing in terms of price, Google throws this bone out there to their fans. :grin:

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Pro is absolutely worth the money if you want a real computer with a high-res screen in a small tablet form factor. I'm really happy with mine so far, and still amazed at how fast it runs Lightroom and Photoshop. If I'm going to spend >$300 on a device, I expect it to do more than surf the web :)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
With 32GB of storage? This simply doesn't work as a traditional laptop.

Its not like a $200 chromebook was a success. What makes them think $1300 will be any better?
IIRC, some US retailers were apparently giving Chromebooks their own stand a la Apple's separate displays. Acer got 5-10% of its US shipments from Chromebooks, though I'd argue Acer's a bad example since everyone hates the company anyway.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No one would have bought the 1TB of Google Drive anyway, so that's poor reasoning. It probably costs Google $10 to host your stuff over that time period.

It doesn't cost Google anything to host your 1TB of content when it can easily scan it for targeted marketing tailored for you using stuff you paid to store. Google instead makes twice the price of your Pixel, using that 1TB of content.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With 32GB of storage? This simply doesn't work as a traditional laptop.

No, but it still ups the usefulness of it by [the largest number you can think of goes here]% from the original Chrome OS. 32GB is only local storage for the OS and apps, you have 1TB of cloud storage for three years which is super fast when you're at work in Google's headquarters. What, you don't work for Google? Oh.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't cost Google anything to host your 1TB of content when it can easily scan it for targeted marketing tailored for you using stuff you paid to store. Google instead makes twice the price of your Pixel, using that 1TB of content.

So it has a nice way of invading your privacy?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss