On my Lumia 640 I can not find the update adviser app in the windows store. Why?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

On my lumia 640 i can not find update advisor app in the windows store. Why?

i have searched for update advisor app in windows phone store but unable to find it.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
OK, the official name is "Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor" app, and here is a description of it from here: Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor app - Windows Help
Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor app
Applies to Windows 10 Mobile
Applies to Windows 10 Mobile

The Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor app will tell you if your Windows Phone 8.1 device is eligible for the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. If you are eligible, it can also help to create space on your device so that you’re ready for the upgrade.
How to get the app

On Start , swipe over to the All apps list, then select Store.

Search for the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor app, then install it on your device.

Open the app on your device. It checks your device and lets you know if it’s ready for the upgrade, if an update is required before you can get the upgrade, or if your device can’t be upgraded.

If your device is eligible for the upgrade, you may need to create some space to get it. The app will recommend files, such as videos or photos, that you can temporarily move to OneDrive or an SD card, if you have one installed. Accept the recommendations, or change which files you want to move. You can also delete some files, if you want. If you move files to OneDrive, you need to use the app to restore files back to your device after Windows 10 Mobile has been installed.

alexuio

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I kept language in spanish but changed region to USA and after reboot the app showed up in the store. I downloaded the update and the phone is taking some time to prepare the update for install... hope everything goes well.

Remy_S

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
For some reason the app can't be found in the store for many users. Nor is it possible to download the app via the link to the store site posted in the Wincentral article or similar articles. Many will simply receive a message that the page is there for information only.
Setting your browser to "Mobile version" or changing your region to USA often doesn't work either. The only solution I've found is to follow the link in microsofts blog post: h t t p://aka.ms/W10MUpgradeAdvisor
(Note: I've put spaces between the letters in "http" because Wincentral for some daft reason doesn't let you post links unless you have at least 10 posts)

Why MS can't have the Store work properly for all users is a mystery to me:-/...

Hope this helps:)

anton267

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
For some reason the app can't be found in the store for many users. Nor is it possible to download the app via the link to the store site posted in the Wincentral article or similar articles. Many will simply receive a message that the page is there for information only.
Setting your browser to "Mobile version" or changing your region to USA often doesn't work either. The only solution I've found is to follow the link in microsofts blog post: h t t p://aka.ms/W10MUpgradeAdvisor
(Note: I've put spaces between the letters in "http" because Wincentral for some daft reason doesn't let you post links unless you have at least 10 posts)

Why MS can't have the Store work properly for all users is a mystery to me:-/...

Hope this helps:)

Thank you Remy_S for setting things straight! For a few people the Upgrade Advisor seems to be available and working, and these people assume that the process is working for all. Well, it's not!!! Adding to the confusion, there is no official explanation why my Lumia 830 is not being upgraded, while a friend's is (same carrier, same firmware, same region, everything identical!). In my case, I reach Upgrade Advisor and the page says "You can’t get this App. This page is for info only." on a stock Lumia 830 running 8.10.15148.160. If Microsoft are trying to control the upgrade by allowing limited numbers of devices at a time, they should clearly state so. Why have thousands of confused users trying various workarounds suggested by other users, only to fail at each attempt ?

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Remy_S for setting things straight! For a few people the Upgrade Advisor seems to be available and working, and these people assume that the process is working for all. Well, it's not!!! Adding to the confusion, there is no official explanation why my Lumia 830 is not being upgraded, while a friend's is (same carrier, same firmware, same region, everything identical!). In my case, I reach Upgrade Advisor and the page says "You can?t get this App. This page is for info only." on a stock Lumia 830 running 8.10.15148.160. If Microsoft are trying to control the upgrade by allowing limited numbers of devices at a time, they should clearly state so. Why have thousands of confused users trying various workarounds suggested by other users, only to fail at each attempt ?

At least MS is consistent about being inconsistent ;)... Took me many tries, multiple searches and lots of hair pulling to get it installed on my 830 only to be met with "we're working with your carrier blah blah blah", suuuure you are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria