One drive is..... holding files hostage, need help

tas9195

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
So I got a new laptop which has windows 11. After setting it up and moving some files over from my old laptop. I started getting constant messages that one drive is full and I need to upgrade my storage. Now first of all they offer you a certain amount for free like offering a kid candy. I never wanted it in the first place so my first complaint is why didn't I get something asking if I wanted to sync up one drive. So I signed in and checked it out and sure enough it synced up all the files I transferred over (more than they offer for free). The biggest issue which has completely gotten under my skin is I found out that you can stop syncing but you can't delete them from one drive as that will delete them from my laptop and will lose the files. Thank god I haven't gotten rid of the laptop yet. Why in hell would you set something up that would tie in to what I have on my personal equipment and say we will delete your files if you delete them from our storage. They are holding my stuff hostage. Is there a way to get rid of them without losing these files and having to transfer everything again? So frustrated with microsoft

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
You are right but don't worry your data won't delete. Some folders are set to default syncing with OneDrive like documents, pictures etc that's why we found most of the time that OneDrive storage is full. I suggest you make a copy of your data in your laptop local storage or in pen drive. Then you can safely delete your desired files from OneDrive. When you deleted, they are still there in OneDrive recycle bin, so you have the option to recover them or delete them completely to save your space.
My simple suggestion after making a copy of your data in your local storage, then sign into OneDrive Online to manage your data.

In hope you got my point and this will help you to get rid of this problem.

tas9195

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
I did recover but not is shows offline in the folder after i quit one drive as if it is only in one drive and only visible when using one drive. I just don't understand how you would have a design this way. Adobe does the same thing with lightroom and it is frustrating.

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
Kindly cross check "Sync & backup" settings in your OneDrive.
Open "Advance Settings" and check "File Collaboration" is set to On. if no then toggle it to On.
Secondly open "Account" and cross check desired folders sync.
I hope your problem will be resolved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss