One Generation Behind- How would you feel?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
We know that the second Surface Pro (with Haswell) is coming out sometime in the fiscal year of 2014. This means that it could be in May of 2014, right before Broadwell is going to be put into products.

Would you still buy it, even if the trend continues of being one generation behind processor wise?

foaf

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I do see your point, and frankly if this happened (the sales date being May 2014) then I would seriously question why Apple can release an updated MBA when Intel release the next gen, when Microsoft (who arguably should have a better relationship with Intel) are one gen behind as you say. I would definitely be 'out', but I would still want a Win 8.X tablet.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I do see your point, and frankly if this happened (the sales date being May 2014) then I would seriously question why Apple can release an updated MBA when Intel release the next gen, when Microsoft (who arguably should have a better relationship with Intel) are one gen behind as you say. I would definitely be 'out', but I would still want a Win 8.X tablet.

I would argue that, if it happens, it's because Microsoft wants the cheaper chips (1 gen behind would always be cheaper). If they do this, though, I hope it translates into cheaper prices.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The release date of the Pro 2 is between now and fiscal year 2014, not just fiscal 2014. I recently heard its being released Oct 18 when 8.1 is released.

As far as your question on the hardware being behind, I buy a device for the OS more so than the hardware.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The release date of the Pro 2 is between now and fiscal year 2014, not just fiscal 2014. I recently heard its being released Oct 18 when 8.1 is released.

As far as your question on the hardware being behind, I buy a device for the OS more so than the hardware.

I hope you're right.

And I agree that it's a good idea to buy for the OS. I can't really complain about hardware, actually, since I bought a Surface RT. :p I just figured I'd ask the Surface Pro guys what they'd think about the possibility.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't think Microsoft was ever about speed. Their approach was reinvent an approach and get everyone to buy into it through their monopoly.
That's what win8 was. Sure, many of us like it, but the fact is that MS lost a lot of market share after its release. Microsoft is trying to reinvent the tablet market as if its a market for productivity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't feel bad being one behind. The Surface Pro is a great machine. And if and when I want to I'll just eBay it to buy the next version. Yeah, I'll lose some money on the deal but it won't be that bad.

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I'll be hovering over the pre-order button on 10/17, and sending v1 to eBay heaven in the meantime. The Surface Pro, as it stands, is a great device - most tech journalists just shrug at everything that is in a package which is nearly identical to iPad 1 but has everything: 4gb ram, 128gb ssd, 1920x1080x10.6" screen, DISPLAY PORT (2560x1440 for heaven's sake), Wacom digitizer, USB 3, mSDXC, and the most compact/usable keyboard/cover in the market. BUT - battery life is 2012 ultrabook (3.5-5 hours max), no 8gb option, 256gb ssd only on interim v1 release. With a 7-8 hour battery, 8gb ram, and 256gb ssd, this version can live well past Broadwell. In fact, what will Broadwell offer - 30% power increase and 30% battery efficiency - on a system I will already be using for an average day's work and even Ivy Bridge has never been "slow." I don't see the need to wait another year for battery life and storage capacity. Wake me up when the Surface Pro 4 is the same size and weight of a ThinkPad Tablet 2 with 16gb ram, 512gb ssd, and 12 hour battery. :grin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deewinc