One Giant Step Backward... Are you ready for it?

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
This article appeared today in Tech Report:

"Rumor: Windows 8.1 Update 2 coming August 12—sans Start menu
by Cyril Kowaliski — 11:27 AM on July 21, 2014

The next big update to Windows 8.1 may be just a few weeks away—but don't get too excited.

According to WinBeta, evidence posted by Russian site PC Portal suggests Windows 8.1 Update 2 is on track for an August 12 release. However, WinBeta adds that the update will mostly comprise small tweaks and bug fixes. The feature we've all been waiting for, the resurrected Start menu, has apparently been postponed:

Update 2 was originally going to include the new Start Menu, but Microsoft decided to pull the feature and save it for Threshold. Update 2 will include no new features, and will most likely be preparing for Threshold when it launches in 2015.

Oh well. At least the rumored August 12 date seems fairly plausible. It corresponds to Patch Tuesday, and it jibes with a ZDnet report from back in April. In that report, Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley said her sources pointed to a possible August time frame for Windows 8.1 Update 2.

Microsoft demoed the new Start menu at its Build conference earlier this year, promising to unleash it as part of a future update. Unofficial evidence suggests that Windows Threshold, the next major Windows release, will go as far as to disable Modern UI entirely on desktop PCs. On the flip side, the desktop will reportedly be off-limits to small tablets.

Rumor: Windows 8.1 Update 2 coming August 12 - sans Start menu - The Tech Report

I am sooo not installing that until I set up a restore point.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I've never really missed the start menu, but I'm probably in the minority.

I use Windows 7 in my day to day job (software development) and hardly ever find myself going into the start menu beyond the pinned and recent program list.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I've never really missed the start menu, but I'm probably in the minority.

I use Windows 7 in my day to day job (software development) and hardly ever find myself going into the start menu beyond the pinned and recent program list.

I agree. I've been running Windows 8.x ever since its release date, but I do not miss the start menu. I rarely used it in Windows 7. When I still used 7, I pinned my frequently used programs to the taskbar.I also used an extremely clean desktop. I did not even have the recycle bin showing on my desktop.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Same here. In my experience the universal search in Windows 8 is way quicker than the one built into the start menu of Windows 7.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Same here. In my experience the universal search in Windows 8 is way quicker than the one built into the start menu of Windows 7.

They will probably not make the search worse with the new start menu. I'm looking so forward not to have my screen covered by this Metro screen all the time, that is basically useless to me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
They will probably not make the search worse with the new start menu. I'm looking so forward not to have my screen covered by this Metro screen all the time, that is basically useless to me.
If you have Windows 8.1, you can boot to desktop and never see the Metro screen.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If you have Windows 8.1, you can boot to desktop and never see the Metro screen.

Yes, of course. I use it rarely. But in some occasion you just need it: Hit Windows, start typing for search. I don't like the Metro screen coming up then, I'd prefer a smaller start menu. Of course, it's not a deal breaker or anything to not have it, it's just something I'm looking forward to.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
My point in posting this article is not about the start menu. Last paragraph. Bold text...

Unofficial evidence suggests that Windows Threshold, the next major Windows release, will go as far as to disable Modern UI entirely on desktop PCs.

We are being returned to Windows 7 desktop. There will be no Start SCREEN, no Modern, borderless screens. NO LIVE TILES.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My point in posting this article is not about the start menu. Last paragraph. Bold text...

Unofficial evidence suggests that Windows Threshold, the next major Windows release, will go as far as to disable Modern UI entirely on desktop PCs.

We are being returned to Windows 7 desktop. There will be no Start SCREEN, no Modern, borderless screens. NO LIVE TILES.

Correct me, if I'm mistaken, but as far as I know it's optional. Default setting for non touch devices is desktop, but a certain setting allows you to enable the metro UI.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Correct me, if I'm mistaken, but as far as I know it's optional. Default setting for non touch devices is desktop, but a certain setting allows you to enable the metro UI.

We don't know whether Metro will be optional on laptops/desktops or not. According to the article I linked to in the OP, we won't have the option. And that is the point of my post.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, of course. I use it rarely. But in some occasion you just need it: Hit Windows, start typing for search. I don't like the Metro screen coming up then, I'd prefer a smaller start menu. Of course, it's not a deal breaker or anything to not have it, it's just something I'm looking forward to.

I think you need windows+Q or windows+S combination here.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I hope this is not true, I have got used to how 8 works and would not like to see the start menu from previous versions be the only choice

Wish MS would stop backtracking on things and going in the total opposite direction

Give people an option, if some want Metro screen, let them have it, equally the same with the start menu, stop trying to force one on me because of the device I use

stanlm2

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Surprised how many anti-startmenu fans are here. I'm a fan of giving a choice. I suggest the win UI choice menu to look like:
1. start menu/taskbar
2. old school win 3.1
3. commandline dos
4. are you serious? ok, here's metro

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Surprised how many anti-startmenu fans are here. I'm a fan of giving a choice. I suggest the win UI choice menu to look like:
1. start menu/taskbar
2. old school win 3.1
3. commandline dos
4. are you serious? ok, here's metro

I'm all for choice. Both my husband and daughter use 8.1 as if it were 7. Makes me wonder why they got new PCs with 8 installed while I had to make do with my vintage laptop and upgrade it...

I've used all the others. I'll take Option 4, please.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey do you guys remember the Action Tiles demo by Microsoft Research a couple of months back? If the current start screen is going to be replaced by the older version, what's going to happen to the Action Tiles? I really liked it. It had a lot of potential.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey do you guys remember the Action Tiles demo by Microsoft Research a couple of months back? If the current start screen is going to be replaced by the older version, what's going to happen to the Action Tiles? I really liked it. It had a lot of potential.

Wow. I had missed that article. Very cool. I don't know how the latest previews will mess with this idea, but MS Research has always tinkered with great ideas that never get to see the light of day.

For others, here's the link: Microsoft Research shows off awesome interactive live tiles for Windows | Windows Phone Central

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The only use of my start button at work and at home is when I need to shut down my PC. That's where it gets tricky for some users since it was extremely difficult to shut down with 8. I know that once you know how to shut down with 8, you'll get the hang of it.. With Windows, well, people would really rant about it. First of all, the Start menu is almost 20 years old. The tech has never been changed ever since so this is why people have been ranting about it.

They need to add back the start menu BUT keep the metro UI. A lot likes it, including me. When they get the start menu back the rants will be OVER and the Metro UI would be completely forgotten by complainers.

MS should just boot the PC to desktop first and not on the Metro Interface so some people would stop complaining. We all know it's easy but we have some really CUUUUTE tech users out there including some of my colleagues so instead of doing a favor to the tech savvy, do a favor to the tech intolerant, MS :winktongue:

​If all these changes are made and you still see complaining then I don't know what the hell they're doing with their PCs.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Unofficial evidence suggests that Windows Threshold, the next major Windows release, will go as far as to "allow you to" disable Modern UI entirely on desktop PCs.

There FTFY

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte