OneDrive Hogging the CPU

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that OneDrive is causing the fan on my Surface Book to run constantly - even when the screen is off and the computer is just sitting there (not asleep - just screen off when I lock it). It's been several weeks since I noticed this, so I am assuming that it started with the updates last month. Over the past couple days, I've done a little experimenting with pausing syncing, and when I pause syncing, the PC cools down (screen quite hot to touch), and the fan stops.

Since Patch Tuesday was coming, I decided to wait and see what would happen with this month's updates, but having installed them this morning, the problem is still going on. My screen is quite warm, and the fan is running constantly. And sitting here just typing this, the CPU is at 33%, with 30% of that being OneDrive use. It doesn't seem to be a networking issue, as the network is sitting at 0% in the Task Manager processes.

I'm on the Insider program, but I took this PC out of the program as of the release of Creators Update, so I'm on build 15063.296.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

randomforum

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, on my Athlon 5150 cpu is always at 30/80% usage, its been trying to sync over 25k files (160gb) for DAYS!

Did tested on my gaming pc to sync the same files (i7 4790k, same net work over 5g wifi) and cpu usage was only 5/10% but fan where getting at full speed for cooling the cpu. Sync only was done in one day.

I had uploaded those files with my surface pro 4, via external HDD, only one day.

I dont understand why its getting days to download them to my athlon pc (backup pc 24/7)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This was a while back, but I ended up resurfacing my PC, and after reinstalling everything, it didn't have this problem anymore. Now, I'm on build 16257 (Insider), and when the PC is locked, the fan runs high, but as soon as I unlock it, it slows down or stops. I've tried opening task manager and catching whatever is making it do this, but apparently it's something that stops as soon as the PC is unlocked again, because I can't catch anything running high CPU after unlocking.

randomforum

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
ok, what i did to "solve" this issue, is, i downloaded my onedrives files with my i7 computer to one external hard drive, then i copy pasted the files to my computer (one drive foder) that i wanted it to sync but it was taking DAYS, it did a check files, and i got everything working in a couple of hours

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs