Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I think your idea is a decent one if you would have to cut back your storage immediately. However, that's not the case because if you are over 5GB, then you get 1TB for 2016. Might I ask which Lumia model you will still be using in 2017??

Nope, your incorrect. We still lose our 30GB unless we SIGN UP to Office 365 free trial subscription which requires a credit card even if it doesn't get charged for the first year. Most people don't want (nor trust) to sign up to another new thing solely because Microsoft had a new idea. And if they are prepared to give away 1TB if I jump from some loops, why can't I just keep my 30GB?

Also, does this not encourage mis-use? Microsoft are basically saying to all users under 5GB to exceed your limit now quick so that you are eligible for Office 365 which makes no sense considering the reason they gave for these changes in the first place was mis-use!!

Also I agree with your point about it being unlikely I will be still be using my Lumia in 2017. Exactly - so why not just allow us the storage on our devices until we go, won't be long to wait for them?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Also, I say this tongue-in-cheek of course but shouldn't we be exercising our consumer rights by demanding that MS compensate us for taking away the advertised Bing Rewards 500 points/100 friends referral program that comes with our switch from Google to Bing web browser? By my calculations, it cost us about $495 when they reduced the referral program to 150 points/5 friends. MS has billions in cash piles, so surely no one should criticize us for taking that action. We're all victims, right?
I don't care what cheek your tongue is in but I have my pitchfork and give me a second to light my torch and I'm with you!

Also, does this not encourage mis-use? Microsoft are basically saying to all users under 5GB to exceed your limit now quick so that you are eligible for Office 365 which makes no sense considering the reason they gave for these changes in the first place was mis-use!!
Absolutely. Its what I like to call poetic irony!

Last edited by a moderator:

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Nope, your incorrect. We still lose our 30GB unless we SIGN UP to Office 365 free trial subscription which requires a credit card even if it doesn't get charged for the first year. Most people don't want (nor trust) to sign up to another new thing solely because Microsoft had a new idea. And if they are prepared to give away 1TB if I jump from some loops, why can't I just keep my 30GB?

Also I agree with your point about it being unlikely I will be still be using my Lumia in 2017. Exactly - so why not just allow us the storage on our devices until we go, won't be long to wait for them?

Well, MS is providing a solution but you are saying that's not the exact solution you want so you are going to look the 1TB/free Office 365 gift horse in the mouth? I suspect that this is a much easier way to handle it because currently OneDrive storage is not tied to specific phone use. Do you not already have a MS account with a credit card on file? If not, perhaps this is exactly the situation that MS is trying to resolve--cutting back on the dead weight (no offense personally). I know many of you feel that any user of services, even if non-paying, is valuable to MS but they might not feel the same way about long-term free-riders.

As to the misuse issue, why would users under 5GB need to exceed their limit for cloud space that they aren't using? I think you are just identifying the hoarding mentality that is often revealed as cloud storage options proliferate. I got caught up in it as well a few years ago, looking to see how I could get free storage from different providers that I didn't need just because it was free and people were saying the cloud is the future. Times are changing, though, and it's time to pay the piper now that we are all smoking from the crack pipe. I'll be curious to see how Android responds with limits and pricing, if at all. They may become the go-to service for the free space bargain-hunters and there's nothing wrong with that. It's probably a better solution for them at this point than OneDrive unless they are willing to leap into the realm of small monthly service fees. MS clearly wants their market to be those in the 100-700GB range that are more interested in a robust use of the MS ecosystem.

Tactik

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
While I am not exceeding my limit on any of my MS accounts, I have 3, 2 personal and one 1 work (work has office 365 and 1TB) I do not use my work for personal. I would like 15G total per personal account. It covers all my docs, music, and pictures. I think 15G is a fair amount. I however am not opposed to paying 2 bucks a month for some storage. 100G for 2 a month is fair, Dropping it to 50 for 2 is not as fair in my opinion. At that point I would just buy a couple of 32gig flash drives.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Use Bing, maybe get 100 extra GB. I do, all from using MS search service on all devices. If that offer is no longer on the table keep an eye out for new offers.
I received that Bing offer a while ago. Be warned it's temporary. My OneDrive account says I'll lose the storage sometime in 2017.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I see in the Dutch media that Microsoft is going to store data from European customers in data centers in Germany. These reports also indicate that storage will be not "that" cheap anymore.
Could this be a reason why MS is making the cuts in "free" storage.

Microsoft building data centers in Germany that US government can?t touch | Ars Technica

If it is, they would have been better off telling us.

Better than...

"It was a few users who abused the Unlimited plan by treating it like it was unlimited. Oh, by the way, we're going to nerf the other plans too so we could take storage away from people that had nothing to do with the people, or even the plans, that we indicated were the reason for the storage reduction.

Oh... and we're totally telling the truth.

...and the Benghazi terrorist attack was all because of a YouTube video."

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I can certainly understand why many are frustrated, but I'm okay with this decision if I can keep getting an extra 100GB through bing rewards. :)

Here's to hoping!

ostseeratte SN

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Lumia Cyberport.JPG
There is nothing to which to add
but ... I wrote at Microsoft Germany ... the answer was a link to my OneDrive account ... nothing else

Lumia 640.JPG
now formulated Microsoft cautious ... but there is a big difference between 5 GB and 30 GB ... all images of today

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of "outrage" really isn't about storage. I mean it kind of is.. but really it's more about feeling misled.
I think people often confuse a feeling of being misled with a sense of entitlement. I don't think many really think they are 'entitled' to free storage, but if they give you a certain amount of storage to store your photos without an end date, most are going to assume they have that for the life of their account. I don't think anyone would've had a problem if they'd put an end date, and said it was free, for say 2 years only.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think people often confuse a feeling of being misled with a sense of entitlement. I don't think many really think they are 'entitled' to free storage, but if they give you a certain amount of storage to store your photos without an end date, most are going to assume they have that for the life of their account. I don't think anyone would've had a problem if they'd put an end date, and said it was free, for say 2 years only.

I think its both, and feeling misled and being entitled to the storage are valid. (considering storage for the life of the account is how Box, Dropbox, etc. does it.)

Especially considering they handed out data that HAD an expiration date (Bing and Enthusiast bonuses)

I think grandfathering is the best way to follow through here.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE:

Hey everyone, I haven't forgotten about this thread. I'm still waiting to hear back from the UK Consumer Ombudsman and ASA. Should have a response within the next 2 working days...

For those that aren't aware - some UK members who purchased Lumias for 30GB OneDrive have made UK consumer complaints that this OneDrive offer was not correctly or clearly advertised by Microsoft as 'temporary' and therefore we are asking as (existing paid customers) that our 30GB storage offer is continued for as long as we continue to use our Lumia devices.

The Link to the UK complaint thread is below and I will update as soon as I get the next response:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=393236

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Can you give an example of something a corporation has given you for free forever? Cream and sugar doesn't count. . . .

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I think its both, and feeling misled and being entitled to the storage are valid. (considering storage for the life of the account is how Box, Dropbox, etc. does it.)

Especially considering they handed out data that HAD an expiration date (Bing and Enthusiast bonuses)

I think grandfathering is the best way to follow through here.

I agree that grandfathering would have been much better for WP users, but I don't see anywhere in the Dropbox terms and conditions that says they are providing storage for life on those terms. In fact, they say they can modify any terms with prior notice. Just like MS.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree that grandfathering would have been much better for WP users, but I don't see anywhere in the Dropbox terms and conditions that says they are providing storage for life on those terms.

Dropbox don't sell consumer hardware.

UK Lumia buyers don't see their 30GB storage as "free" but included as the hard cash they already gave Microsoft who make our devices. If we buy a chromebook over here the laptop has a giant sticker on the actual device saying 2 years free. When Samsung offered Dropbox storage on the Galaxy flagships here it they clearly advertised it as 2 years free Dropbox.

Microsoft still actively market 30GB OneDrive as a key selling point on all Lumia marketing. Even today in Britain they are still Marketing the new Lumia 950 with 30GB included as a bullet point on their actual store buying page. Despite what's about to happen!

I don't know about American customers feel about this type of practice, but in the UK we expect the true cost of services and amounts be advertised upfront. Our consumer protection laws are strong over here, think of the Lemon Law or whatever its called in the USA but covering more categories.

Either Microsoft's sales team aren't aware of the upcoming changes or they are aware but don't want to damage sales. In either case, a louder voice needs to correct this. The T&Cs created by an American Lawyer over in Redmond mean nothing as Microsoft's trading in our country means they abide by our consumer T&Cs. Microsoft have already agreed to ours. Also the full OneDrive app terms cannot be agreed to until after the Lumia has been purchased in any case.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree that grandfathering would have been much better for WP users, but I don't see anywhere in the Dropbox terms and conditions that says they are providing storage for life on those terms. In fact, they say they can modify any terms with prior notice. Just like MS.

Well, can =/= should, especially with EULA stuff. Sure they have a lot of power to cover their butt with, but it doesn't mean it should be exercised + we should defend its use.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about American customers feel about this type of practice, but in the UK we expect the true cost of services and amounts be advertised upfront. Our consumer protection laws are strong over here, think of the Lemon Law or whatever its called in the USA but covering more categories.

We here in the US are used to different perks. For example, we have free unlimited ketchup at McDonald's. The ketchup dispenser is out by the soda fountains, which are also unlimited. In fact, almost all restaurants, except for Italian, have unlimited soda and coffee. Buy a drink, and they'll bring you free refills until you cannot drink anymore. Or, the fountain is out where you can get it yourself.

I think the OneDrive situation is similar. Since I paid for a Microsoft device, I should have free unlimited OneDrive storage. I'd be upset if I went to McDonald's, and they had removed the soda fountain and I wouldn't get a free refill. This is why we are upset over the OneDrive situation.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE:

Just a quick update guys, someone from the UK Consumer Ombudsman has emailed this morning with my internal case number and saying she should be in a position to say if they can go any further with my complaint soon. So still a waiting game. But hopefully by now Microsoft UK should be aware of our complaints at least.

Just to clarify, I'm still a Microsoft fan but simply requesting that we are allowed to keep our 30GB OneDrive storage for the time we use our Lumias as existing customers which most here feel is fair.

If anyone else in the UK here still hasn't complained and want to then please do. In the email they make it clear the more evidence the better. I'm also waiting for a reply from the ASA as I feel its really wrong that Microsoft are still advertising the Lumia 950 right now with 30GB included considering we know what is about to happen.

I'm really hoping now Microsoft may soon elaborate on the OneDrive blog post. Its funny but it could be that they planned to allow existing Lumia users to keep their storage all along - we all know how bad Microsoft can be at PR. But until we have official word our battle to save our storage in the UK continues...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire