OneDrive & Windows 8.1 - Machine Switched to Office 365 Business/Enterprise?

thepotatolives

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

(Apologies if I've accidentally posted this twice - it didn't seem to work on the first attempt.)

I'm having some trouble with OneDrive synchronisation from a Windows 8.1 machine (mt personal desktop, not a work/office computer that's a member of a domain). I log in using an Office 365 personal account, which isn't due for renewal for several months.

The synchronisation has been working fine for months, using the built-in OneDrive syncing functionality (I haven't installed anything extra, from the Windows Store or otherwise), but since this morning it's been behaving very strangely.

First off, I've been getting periodic messages stating:

"We can't sync your personal files any more

Your IT department made a change that prevents you from syncing your personal OneDrive on this computer. The files that are already on this computer are still here, but any changes or new files won't be synced."

I'm also getting prompted to sign in to OneDrive, but the "Personal" option on the login dialog that pops up (a native dialog, not something I'm prompting via a web browser) is unavailable, and I only have the option of signing in with a "Work or school/university" account.

I suspect that something in the OS has been toggled to "enterprise" or similar, hence the insistence on work/school accounts.

There haven't been any updates installed over the last few days (the last one was 14th April). It's worth noting that this isn't happening on my other machine (Windows 7), and I can still browse OneDrive via a web browser without any difficulty.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!

christopherperry

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I am experiencing the same weird problem, but OneDrive seems to still be behaving and syncing fine. I know you said the dialog pop up box looks native, and I agree, but I'm still looking for its source to no avail. I have not entered any info since I'm not sure what's up, I don't want to make accidental changes, and like I said--OneDrive is actually working fine.

Please let me know if you find anything.

milko_d

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone,
Exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of days ago after I installed some Windows updates. I found that without my knowledge OneDrive for business somehow got installed on my PC. This was a second OneDrive client in addition to OneDrive personal which is part of Windows 8.1 and which can not be uninstalled.
To check the presence of the second OneDrive client go to Start Screen, All Aps. There should be two OneDrive apps listed under the letter "O".
Fortunately OneDrive for business is not part of Windows 8.1 and can be uninstalled. To uninstall it go to Settings -> Control Pannel -> Uninstall Programs. There will be only one OneDrive listed in the list of programs that could be uninstalled. Select OneDrive to be uninstalled. This will uninstall OneDrive for business without affecting OneDrive personal.
After uninstalling OneDrive for business I stopped receiving any messages at start up and my OneDrive personal continued working and syncing without any issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes