"open with" right-click menu option crashes file explorer when used on pictures

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So about a week ago this started happening. If I right-click on a picture file and try to use the "open with" option in that menu, file explorer stops responding and then crashes. Even if I'm just hovering over the "open with" option. It works with every other file type I regular use, movies, audio recordings, etc. Just when I go to it with picture files. I've tried going into the command prompt and running the various DISM things to scan health and restore health and all that. Not sure what else to do and I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to open multiple files in paint separate from each other without the open with option. I know there are better apps than paint for working with pics, these are super simple little projects and I don't feel like diving into photoshop and learning a whole new things at the moment.

How do I fix this weird bug?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
So about a week ago this started happening. If I right-click on a picture file and try to use the "open with" option in that menu, file explorer stops responding and then crashes. Even if I'm just hovering over the "open with" option. It works with every other file type I regular use, movies, audio recordings, etc. Just when I go to it with picture files. I've tried going into the command prompt and running the various DISM things to scan health and restore health and all that. Not sure what else to do and I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to open multiple files in paint separate from each other without the open with option. I know there are better apps than paint for working with pics, these are super simple little projects and I don't feel like diving into photoshop and learning a whole new things at the moment.

How do I fix this weird bug?
, is it an old pc and which Windows version? Might want to (re)install Windows 10 on it or reset Windows on it. I personally only had this problem on older versions of Windows and either caused by certain (crap) programs when installed or when I did not uninstall stuff correctly.

Alternatively you may want to try Paint3D (should be installed if you have Windows 10) or paint.net (paint.net is basically Paint but expanded, it is nowadays apparently not free anymore though)
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ivetab%3Dpivot%253Aoverviewtab&token=Q8C__Cnb
See than if one of those 2 programs can open several files at once in their file open menu's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamedi