Otterbox Defender for Nokia Lumia 1020 (First Look)

RockStorePhotos

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Great review. Thanks for posting. I bought one for my 1020 but have cautionary note. I drive a Chevy Avalanche. Twice this past weekend while exiting the truck, the phone detached itself from the holster and dropped onto the tarmac. Thankfully, the actual case did a wonderful job and the phone was unscratched. Dunno' what caused the issue: the retracting lap/shoulder belt? The side bolster of the bucket seat? Maybe I shouldn't have worn the holster on my belt while driving.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
A guitar pick is the perfect tool to unbuckle the hard shell case. It makes it totally easy and doable.

After using it for a while, then taking it out of the case, I must say it adds a lot of bulk. The biggest issue I have with the case is that it makes the buttons extremely unresponsive and hard to press down on the side. A simple chore like taking the phone out of your pocket to look at the time becomes a tough job.

I really like using the Camera grip case the most at the moment due to the added functionality, however, there is no argument that the Otterbox provides the best protection for the phone.

Last edited:

tgzgeorge

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Great review, I am looking for a case for my 1020 but I think it won't be an otterbox. I just find it too bulky and ended up removing it on my l920.

fsufan1200#CB

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I?ll embarrassingly chime in here! Last Wednesday I purchased my Lumia 1020 for full retail since I choose to NOT be in a contract status.

Friday afternoon step-out of my truck dropped the device face down on the pavement with only the speck case on it. Well, not much more to the story other than the entire screen cracked in 50-different splinters.

SO, much for enjoying my new device. Monday AM shipped it off to Palco Cell Phone Repair center, since Nokia referred then as their authorized repair facility for non-warranty issues. Repair cost was $155.00 plus shipping, and hopefully will have it back by this Friday. They just received a shipment of replacement displays from Nokia the previous week so the parts were there in stock!

I now have an Otter Box sitting on my desk waiting for my Lumia 1020 to return. I would have to agree with most, it does make the device a little bulkier, but a silly drop like what happened to me, can happy to anyone, at the least expected time, believe me!

Matt

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I’ll embarrassingly chime in here! Last Wednesday I purchased my Lumia 1020 for full retail since I choose to NOT be in a contract status.

Friday afternoon step-out of my truck dropped the device face down on the pavement with only the speck case on it. Well, not much more to the story other than the entire screen cracked in 50-different splinters.

SO, much for enjoying my new device. Monday AM shipped it off to Palco Cell Phone Repair center, since Nokia referred then as their authorized repair facility for non-warranty issues. Repair cost was $155.00 plus shipping, and hopefully will have it back by this Friday. They just received a shipment of replacement displays from Nokia the previous week so the parts were there in stock!

I now have an Otter Box sitting on my desk waiting for my Lumia 1020 to return. I would have to agree with most, it does make the device a little bulkier, but a silly drop like what happened to me, can happy to anyone, at the least expected time, believe me!

Matt

That's absolutely right, and no one would argue with you about the durability and protection that the case offers. Just understand that the buttons are gonna be much harder to press, and screen sensitivity issues occur unless you take off the included screen shield, which I totally recommend by the way.

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Did you remove the screen protector film from the plastic frame, or did you just not use the top part of the inner frame that contains the plastic film (protector)?

Thanks again for all the info. I need a case and the options are limited.

Steve

I got rid of the screen protector after about 30 minutes, like you said it doesn't sit flush, and it feels and looks really cheap. The good news is that it's extremely easy to get off. For my particular case the charger flap is fairly easy to open, but the headphone flap is extremely difficult to open. With wear it should settle, but I opted for blue tooth headphones and it's been a phenomenal investment. I no longer have to worry about opening and closing that port much, and also I no longer have to change the volume of my phone, because my headphones have internal volume control, so I just leave it at 30 the entire time. I also get full control and can play music on the fly as well as fast forward and reverse.

Anyways I got off topic for a bit...With the built in screen protector it off I consider it to be almost a perfect case for myself. The Incipio apparently comes with tampered glass on their case, which would have been nice if we had it on ours. I may opt to not even use a screen protector this time around. I really like the feel of the naked screen.

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
Did you remove the screen protector film from the plastic frame, or did you just not use the top part of the inner frame that contains the plastic film (protector)?

Thanks again for all the info. I need a case and the options are limited.

Steve

You have to still use the plastic frame or the outer silicone won't fit. It is easy to remove the screen protector from the plastic though.

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm reviving a dying thread but I just stumbled across the clip and how it doubles as a stand. If you give the top of the clip a nice hard pinch it stays. Its useful for wathing movies.

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got the Otterbox for the 1020 at AT&T. As expected, say goodbye to wireless charging. I was hoping it would fit with the charging cover attached. Nope.

Protection versus convenience. I went with protection. Perhaps a company will be smart enough to come out with a case that you can use with the charging cover.

With that amount of heft they should have the wireless charging built into the case. Of course that would make it cost a bit extra. But with the annoying flap over the usb port i think wireless charging would be even more useful with the Otterbox case on.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
While it offers good protection, I hate having the defender over my 920 due to the screen protector. The problem with it is that it doesn't sit tight against the screen, often causing missed touch input.

rocktauber

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I have this case and appreciate the built in screen protector. It is just a matter of choice. No arguing this case offers the best protection available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963