Outlook and Microsoft account

agilis

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a new and happy WP user and a returning Windows 8 desktop user for home, I've been using W7 on my business computer before that.
I'm not certain if I'm posting the right post in the right thread, but I seem to face an unbeatable conflict between my @outlook.com and Microsoft account and I can't seem to find the answer.

Short story, I created an @outlook.com when it came out, then recently when I acquired my WP phone and W8 desktop, I created a Microsoft account using a private email address.
On my WP phone if I send a mail from Outlook, the recipient will see it sent from my @outlook address.
If I send it from the Outlook web interface, it will always use my private address as reply-to and there's no way I can add my Outlook address as alias of my MS account. If I try add it by selecting "choose an existing address", select @outlook.com from the drop-down and entering my address, it tells me that this account is already existing and I should select another one.

Well, of course it is already existing and that's the point, I want to use it! I'm quite baffled at the complexity of having Outlook.com send your emails from your Outlook address instead of your private address. I wonder if anyone ever fixed this? MS solutions don't provide answers to this...

Again, sorry if this does not belong here...

Cheers,
Alex

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite baffled at the complexity of having Outlook.com send your emails from your Outlook address instead of your private address. I wonder if anyone ever fixed this? MS solutions don't provide answers to this...
Inbox>Options>Reply-to address
Select other address.
Enter your outlook.com address.
Inbox>Options>Your email accounts
Set Default "From" address at bottom of web page.

agilis

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Inbox>Options>Reply-to address
Select other address.
Enter your outlook.com address.

I've tried and it does not work. When sending from the web interface to a mail address, I still get an From hotmail_[random string]@live.com, on Behalf of [private address].

Inbox>Options>Your email accounts
Set Default "From" address at bottom of web page.

My Outlook address never appears in that list, only my private one, and whenever I want to add an existing address (my @outlook.com one) in my MS account as other alias, it tells me this account is already existing. Which is actually the point...

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
...whenever I want to add an existing address (my @outlook.com one) in my MS account as other alias, it tells me this account is already existing. Which is actually the point...
Have you tried removing the @outlook.com account and creating an alias?

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I assume you have two accounts setup in outlook.com. 1. A Microsoft account using a private email address (I am not quite following you here). Is this a @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com email account? I am getting that it is not. 2. Another account with an @outlook.com email address. Delete/remove the separate @outlook.com account and add that address as an alias to your Microsoft account.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
@agilis, I think your problem is the same as what happened to me. When you created a new @outlook.com account, let's say Alex@outlook.com, it became a unique new Microsoft ID account. When you created a Microsoft ID using a private email address, let's say, Alex@snowball.com, that also became another unique Microsoft ID account. UNLESS you specified Alex@outlook.com to be an alias of Alex@snowball.com at the time you created Alex@outlook.com, you can't make Alex@outlook.com an alias at a later time. If you delete Alex@outlook.com, there is/was a waiting period before it would become available again (at least there was about a year ago when I ran into this). I didn't want to take a chance of losing my Alex@outlook.com address so I created an alias something like AlexXX@outlook.com.

If what you want to do is get and send email using the Outlook web interface, here's what I did. I don't know if this is the correct answer but it works for me and seems straightforward. Forward all your Alex@Snowball.com email to AlexXX@outlook.com. Then set up your Outlook web interface for the AlexXX@outlook.com account. Because it is the alias to Alex@Snowball.com, mail will show as originating from snowball.com.

agilis

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
First and foremost, thanks all for the answers. @yeewiz, you're spot on. I created my outlook.com account before creating my MS account. I got confused by the fact that my WP lets me send from the WP account but not the Web UI. I wish honestly there would be an easy way to merge the MS and Outlook account together, a bit like Skype allows. My workaround my to create another alias that's firstname.lastname@outlook.be (I'm from Belgium) and this works now all fine, although I had to recreate the inbox on my phone. I'm happy with the workaround, just a bit annoyed because I work with people from all over the world and .com was more internationally recognizable and understood than .be. I still need to use the web UI for the time being.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre